main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Conquest discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LawgSkrak, Mar 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    This I *do* know!

They cut her forhead, that's when Anakin was pulling weeds and felt the cut himself, but they didn't tattoo her yet.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    You think that scar running from the forehead to the chin is the mark Domain Kwaad? Or was that just a mark of torture?

3. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Can't remember for sure, the books at home.

4. Senni_Arava

Senni_Arava Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    I'm supposed to get it today.
    I was SO mad yesterday. It wasn't anywhere and I was walking around mumbling about how books should be out on their release dates, as if four months hadn't been long enough to wait already.
    It was pretty funny. :D
    So I'd BETTER get it today. The overall consensus is that it's good, it seems...
    (talking to myself again. Don't mind me :))

5. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yes, they did cut her forehead. She'll probably have a scar forever now.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Don't you know that plastic sergury in the GFFA is really advanced? remember face loran? Borsk fey'lya? Etc and and a few others known to have their faces reconstructed?

So yes they could repair her forhead.

7. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Yeah, plastic surgery, or the SW equivalent, could get rid of it pretty easily, I would think. But she'll probably keep it, like that dumbass Tenel Ka who didn't want a new arm. I'm still awestruck by that stupidity.

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Hey, first off, I think that a dip in the bacta tank will heal the cover. As for the face on the cover, I think that is Tahiri, or rather Tahiri as Anakin saw her in a vision. In essence, this is what Tahiri might have become had Anakin not saved her.

As for Tenel Ka, at the time, I respected her decision in that she has to be her own woman. Now with the Yuuzhan Vong, perhaps she'll reconsider. I mean, even with the Force, it's better to fight with both hands rather than one. On the other hand, the Yuuzhan Vong might consider her being somewhat worthy, what with the missing arm.

Finally, the comment about Anakin saying he loved Tahiri. I think, no, I know that he meant it in a romantic way. Ikrit mentioned something about the bond between them. Also, the way their minds and powers mesh together the way they do, I think it's similar to the way Luke's and Mara's minds mesh together. Luke and Mara complimented each other, and both liked the presence of the other's mind in their own. I know it's the same way between Anakin and Tahiri. If Han finds out about this in Rebirth, I think he'll say, "That's my boy."

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    JediAlly, I'll quote what I said before:

"Soft laughter began, familiar yet strange; the pitch and timbre were wrong, but the cadence was as known to him as his father's speech. A woman's laughter, throaty and sardonic...Her hair was gold, the gold of a vein in a sunset on Coruscant or of the sudden spark from an inferno. One of her eyes was jade and the other obsidian. Her lips were fringed by a hundred incisions, and a white scar ran from the top of her forehead to her chin. Armor of a black-and-gray-banded chitinous substance fit close to her body, a very adult, very human body, though the armor was plated and jointed like an insect's. Knobs and spurs stuck out from her shoulders and elbows."

That sounds nothing at all like the pic on the cover.

10. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    wow guys, this book really impressed me..

its one of the better one's so far..
    everythign from Mara "slipping" and telling everyone to everything else..whoa...baby...

i now want to read the Anakn Tahiri books..there were alot of allusions to it..i'm guessing master Ikrit was from there right??

I can't wait until august...i'm suppposeing that that's where we'll find out where Han and Leia ended up..

this is good
    what do you all think of Anakin being able to psuedo sense the Vong?

??

11. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    They did get arounf to Tattooing Tahri, but I am almost positive that is a Shaper on th cover.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    jade, Ikrit was from there, as was Uldir and the Melodies.

The first JJK trilogy kind of stunk, but the second one was better.

13. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Mastadge - had to make me look foolish in 2 threads, didn't ya? ;)

The only JJK books I read were the first 3. Now I can't find the other 3.

14. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Conquest just came today. Can't wait to read it.

15. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    "One of her eyes was jade and the other obsidian."

Apparently Ysanne Isard is now a Yuuzhan Vong. ;)

16. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
  17. Ganner

Ganner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2000
    Awesome book. Simply awesome.

18. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Yesterday, I went to another Walmart, and they had about 20 copies of Conquest on sale for $4.98!!! I spent all yesterday reading it. I thought that the torture of Tahiri was more horrible than any of the other ones I have read about. That was just sick, trying to make her think she was a Vong.

19. Senni_Arava

Senni_Arava Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    They destroyed the temple...
    <tries not to cry>
    I don't know why that bothered me so much, I guess because a good part of the movies and books are centered around it and what happened there. :(

One thing I don't understand, though, is how everyone understood the Vong without translators. Were they speaking basic then? I guess they were, I just got confused :p

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Those tyzoworms or whatever that the Vong put in their ears teach you languages really quickly, kind of like the babelfish from hitchhiker's guide.

"Inside was a single wriggling creature, a small worm. Yomin Carr eased the coffer up near to his ear and tilted it, and the worm responded, crawling forth and burrowing right into the Yuuzhan Vong's ear cavity. Yomin Carr put his finger up there a moment later, to ensure that the tizowyrm had crawled all the wya in, and also to signal the creature to begin its work. He felt the low vibrations a moment later. Tizowyrms were decoders, a creature bred by the Yuuzhan Vong alchemists to translate other languages. Despite their diminutive size, they could story enormous amounts of information and could emit that information subliminally. They, us Yomin Carr left his room, he was gettting yet another lesson in the language most commonly used int his Galaxy."

21. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Finally we get something new in the NJO ... hope. Its about time.

22. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Mastadge- You know, I was thinking the exact same thing.

23. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2000
    I am so thrilled with Conquest. Each NJO book has been better than the previous ones, and this is no exception, being easily the best so far.

I just have one major question. What was that about Anakin "sensing" the Vong warriors in the fight in the damutek? That couldn't have been the Force, for obvious reasons.

On p. 248 it says: "On the way up, Anakin noticed an interesting thing.

Vua Rapuung existed for him now.

Not in the Force, not with the clarity that the Force offered, but he was there, a shadow of fury cast from the lambent to Anakin's mind."

So was it some sort of telepathy having to do with the lambent in his lightsaber? If so, could the Jedi exploit this to their advantage and make up for the fact that the Vong don't exist in the Force?

24. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Certainly seems possible. Only thing would be how would they procure enough of them?

25. Ganner

Ganner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2000
    Anakin was not sensing the Vong in the Force, but at a more FUNDAMENTAL level than even the Force. If you noticed, it was his recognition of a more fundamental truth than the Force (something that the Vong and GFFA must have IN COMMON), that was the key to his new awareness of the Vong.

It is unclear to me, however, whether it was a new ability that he could demonstrate on his own, or only with the assistance of the lambent.

Though that particular quote mentions the lambent, there is another point to consider. Later in the fight, you'll notice, he seemed to have sensed the Vong on his own:

"Anakin sensed a blow from behind, and without thinking he ducked, did a behind-the-back block, and felt the sharp rap of an amphistaff. He dropped, swept his unseen attacker's feet, and tumbled away from yet a third attacker.

"Only when he was back in the clear, preparing to meet the two, did he realize what had happened. He had sensed the Yuuzhan Vong behind him. Not as clearly as he might in the Force, but it had been good enough to save his life."

I'm thinking that ANAKIN HIMSELF has gained a new ability ON HIS OWN. Remember what he realized right before the light saber worked again:

"And in a flash of epiphany he had it. The link between the rest of the lightsaber and the lambent was Anakin Solo. It was in *him* the changes had to happen."

Then a few paragraphs later:

" 'I am Jedi again,' he said quietly.
    Perhaps a new kind of Jedi altogether."

Also notice that the lambent is a 'thought' device. So, mentioning that he picked up fury from the Vong through the lambent would be normal. But remember that he could not have picked that up if HE had not changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.