main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Conquest discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LawgSkrak, Mar 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Admiral_Xian

Grand_Admiral_Xian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2001
    I just finnished Conquest, and I have to say... KICK ASS!!! Go Anakin... Kicked some ass, got the girl, made it to a Star Destroyer... all around, not bad... I wish I was smart enough to cobble together a repulsor sled out of junk...

I do have to say that this book made me cry... I truly felt sick reading how they tortured Tahiri... This is the first SW book I read that she was in, so I don't even know her (so to speak) and I just felt so bad... I don't blame Anakin, or Tahiri for their rage... Get that girl a lightsaber, and lets kick some more ass... lots of it...

Rebirth can't get here any quicker for me...

As for Anakins thoughts on the force, I thought they were all good, hope they actually figure it out soon...

The ball is in the Jedi's court, and now we gonna whip sum Vong posterior...

2. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Remember, too, that Luke's Jedi don't have as complete an understanding of the Force as the pre-Vader Jedi did. I wonder if there's a connection between Anakin's revelations and the way the old Jedi manipulated the Force. I'm looking forward to more of Vergere.

That said, Keyes is good. If you're looking for more by him, I recommend his Age of Unreason trilogy, starting with "Newton's Cannon." I read the first 2 (the 3rd is coming in pocket pb in May, I think) and they practically had me drooling for "Conquest."

3. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    I finished it today. I've got one thing that seems wrong, though. And it's bugging me to death. So I'll see what you guys think.

When Anakin rebuilt his lightsaber, it should've been different somehow. I mean, he was using Yuuzhan Vong biotech in a lightsaber! This is what I think should've happened.

1. The lightsaber is a different color. This would've been the easier of my two choices. I mean, it was still purple! What's up with that?

2. Make the lightsaber more effective against Yuuzhan Vong weapons/armor. This makes since to me. Anybody else?

Ok, I'm done. Feel free to flame or favor. Your choice.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Lightsaber being a diff color I'll agree with.

The other one I wouldn't. Say I've got a lightsaber made with its gem a simple, generic...I dunno, rose quartz in there. Then that stone cracks, so I put in as a replacement a rare gem only found in China. Would that make my lightsaber more effective against Chinese people? I think not.

5. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    True. However, Anakin used life in his lightsaber. It should be stronger than others, because it's closer to the Force.

6. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I'm with you on the color thing, but not sure that it should be more effective against the YV. What it did do was make Anakin think about things in a different way; in that sense it will make _him_ more effective.

7. Joyoda

Joyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 1999
    Maybe It didn't change because Keyes started writing Rebirth before Conquest and didn't want to go back and change all the lightsaber references :)

8. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Let me just say that this was one KICK ARSE book! Greg Keyes is god! Well, maybe that's a little extreme, but he definately writes one hell of a book!

I really feel bad for Tahiri. I hope time heals her wounds.

The loss of Master Ikrit was truly unfortunate. But he, like Dorsk 82 went out like a Jedi should.

Speaking of Dorsk 82, there should be a Dorsk 83 by now, if the Guide to Species is correct. The little journal excerpt said that before he left, he started work on the 83rd Dorsk clone.

Unfortunate that Han&Leia weren't mentioned except in passing. It'd be good to think that they were off together somewhere, mending their relationship.

The sudden appearence of the Errant Venture(seems like old Booster finally found enough red paing!)with Corran, Jacen and Jaina was perfectly timed.

Shada's fate seemed to resemble Corrans from a few novels back...

The loss of the old Temple and the Praxeum it housed is tragic, but like Anakin said, it's the idea, not the place that maters.

So, all in all, this book keeps up the quality of New Jedi Order.

9. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    ArrrrGGHHHHH!!!!

Will somebody please tell me HOW Ikrit dies!?!

10. Grand_Admiral_Xian

Apr 5, 2001
    Perhaps you should read the book, or re-read it, if you missed that part...

I will say this... it was a self-less death...

One thing though, I read alot of EU books, but none of Young Jedi series, or the X-Wing books... you could say I just read core books... Where did Ikrit come from, and if he is soo old and ancient, has he taught Luke and the other Jedi anything about how the old Jedi use to do things and how they acted...

11. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    If I could get the book, I would know the answer to the question.

Spoilers are allowed, which is why I asked. Will somebody please tell me. Either here, or in a PM?

12. Grand_Admiral_Xian

Apr 5, 2001
    My apoligies... but Ikrit is shot protecting Anakin, tahiri and two other young jedi... he trying to help them escape the Vong... tahiri is captured by the Vong trying to get to him, to help him...

13. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    First off, I have to agree with Anakin's reasoning and his view on why Kyp and the others are acting the way they are. Now if he can get them together in Rebirth, and get them to agree with what he's saying, maybe that'll get the Jedi united again.

As for Han and Leia, after everything they've been through, I agree that they deserve to have some time together to heal their marriage. I would have like to have learned how her legs turned out. I know that she spent a lot of time in the bacta, but that doesn't tell me squat. I think, however, that her legs are fine, and in time their strength will return.

I agree with you in that Anakin's blade color should have been different. As for being stronger against the Yuuzhan Vong, no. Being stronger in general, perhaps. Remember, Jedi primarily used Adegan crystals in their lightsabers. There were several varieties, and the type of Adegan crystal used determined the strength of the blade. Perhaps a living crystal would make the blade even stronger, not just against the Yuuzhan Vong, but against everything.

From the JJK series, Ikrit was a Kushiban from the Outer Rim world Kushibah. He trained under Yoda as well, although it was over four hundred years ago. You want more information, get the JJK series. I know it's in Barnes and Noble and Borders stores.

14. Grand_Admiral_Xian

Apr 5, 2001
    just to liven things up... I will now imitate a 13 year old boy on a bboard that knows nothing about star wars...

- any hot chicks want to private me... Im cute... email me... cute@dork.com

This is why devoting your life to SW and Sci-Fi makes you a better person... your too busy to become like that...

anyone think the shapers are going to lay low for a few books now...

15. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
  16. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "Maybe It didn't change because Keyes started writing Rebirth before Conquest and didn't want to go back and change all the lightsaber references."

He wrote Conquest first. He is currently writing Rebirth.

17. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Hmm, I think I like JediAlly's view on the lightsaber deal. Making it more powerful in general. I was a tad hasty in saying it would be more effective against Vong only. But the more powerful in all categories makes sense to me. I mean, he went from a stone to something living. Something in there should be different.

Well, I guess it is. He can sense the Vong now. So maybe my little complaint about nothing changing is wrong.

18. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Thanks, womp rat. You know, I've been wondering how the Yuuzhan Vong would fare if they went up against the Jedi of the Old Republic. Whether its Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Mace, Yoda, and the others, or Nomi Sunrider, Thon, Ulic Qel-Droma, Sylvar, and their group. Hey I'd even see them go up against Palpatine, Vader, Sedriss, Palpatine's Dark Jedi, even Darth Maul and Exar Kun, just to see who'd come out on top.

19. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Yeah, but doesn't devoting your whole life to SW religiously make you a geek? ;) PM me at sw@geek.com hehehe just kidding!!

20. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    anywaysss!! I just finished this novel! LOOOOooooVED IT!

I absolutely found Anakin's new profound view of the Force fascinating! Who knows what this discovery of the "Vong-absence" might lead to the Jedi as a whole!

Nobody has mentioned this, but I was quite schocked (as was Anakin) to learn that the Vong actually fall in love! And that they call it "love" and have secret, forbidden affairs!! Doesn't that surprise you?

Hmmm Whenever Karrde appears on a page, he lights it up with his charm! Glad to know he still has his edge, and his crew's trust, even at difficult moments! and wheew!! I thought Shada had really died! That would have such a gloomy ending!

And yess... my main man Corran is back! Even if it was for a few lines! *sigh* but it was nice to see him up and about. :) :)

It was rather painful to read how they treated pooor Tahiri. I had never read about her in previous books, but in this one she started out so lively and jubilant and to have her end like that, was just sad. But still, there is always hope! :)

Ohh and I likked that Vehn guy! He was funny!
    Don't get me wrong, I love Luke and Mara, and thought that the way the "news" spread out was juuust nice, but I was glad that I didn't see much of them in here! But grrr!! I didn't want to read that she would give birth on ...well Rebirth.. Duh, Amy! I guess the title explains it all, sorta! :(

Well< i'm kinda tired! ciao, Can't wait for, grr , Rebirth!

21. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Great book! The NJO continues to get better.

I really liked how Anakin was writing here. Also, the Vong were much more interesting than ever before.

There was lots of great action. The appearance of the Errant Venture at the end was pretty predictable, but it was cool to have Corran back.

On the lightsaber issue, I also was thinking that it should have been a different color, but that's pretty minor.

I, like a couple others have mentioned, was sad to see the Temple go.

Eagerly awaiting Rebirth!

22. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Yeah, Vehn was great! Next Han Solo, perhaps?

23. OB-636

OB-636 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2000
    Spoilers...

Consider the implications of this paragraph, at the end of the book - So be it. But in her heart, Nen Yim still considered Mezhan Kwaad her master. Nen Yim would continue the work they had begun, somehow. It was too important. And if Nen Yim must die for this, she must. The glorious heresy would live on. - This seems to me a prediction of sorts, that the Vong...er, Yuuzhan Vong will successfully capture another Jedi and turn him/her into one of them. This hybrid would still have their Force ability and be evil, but obviously not a Sith. The Shapers had this in mind for Tahiri, but failed. Picture it, a Yuuzahn Vong with Force powers with no knowledge of the light or dark sides of the Force. That would be bad news.

24. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    The lightsaver color thing:

Whats up with people caring what color it is? I mean, yes, I expected it to change colors too, but what's to stop the lambient from having an inner violet arora?

And what does it matter anyway?

25. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I am SOOOO SICK of hearing about Anakin's lightsaber!!! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.