main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Conquest discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LawgSkrak, Mar 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
  2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Good, I'm glad to see someone agrees! :)

3. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, there's only som much a person can say about the lightsaber issue, so it does kind of get old quickly...

Anyhow, I also found it interesting, though not totally unexpected, that the Yuuzhan Vong had interesting views of love. The caste dynamic makes sense; incompatibility between castes is not a new concept. However, it does add greatly to the Vong as characters, as did a lot of other things in this book.

The ending, as was mentioned, does leave it open to the possibility of Jedi being manipulated further by Vong shapers. However, I find the development of the heresy among the Shamed Ones more fascinating.

I enjoyed Conquest immensely, mostly because it expanded on the enemy a bit, making them more "multifaceted", if you will...

4. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    That's assuming that the Yuuzhan Vong can catch any more Jedi. Now that the children are no longer in immediate danger, the only candidates available are the full-fledged Jedi. Given the recent events, and the New Republic leadership denouncing them, most of the Jedi will be extra careful and cautious. Note I said most. I have no idea what Kyp's going to do now.

I do hope that a confrontation between Luke and Kyp occurs in the next book. Whether it comes to words or lightsabers, and whether Kyp faces Luke or Corran, that's up to Keyes. I do hope that there's a confrontation, and that a mystery that's been present since Onslaught will be solved.

Remember Dr. Anki Pace mentioning the archaeologist who "lost" the past two years of her life at the hands of the Jedi. There's only one power that can do that - a Sith power. And Kyp's the only known Jedi who knows this power. I can definitely say that Kyp has done more than threaded the border between light and dark. He crossed it again.

5. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    A reminder to everyone here, there is a Keyes chat tonight. Head over to www.jedinet.com/literature for more info.

6. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well you have your answer. LFL wanted it to stay the same. HAHA! :D :D :D :D

7. Jagged_Fel

Jagged_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2000
    I thought Conquest was the best yet!

My favorite character was Vua. My reaction to Ikrit's death was mixed though because I never thought it necessary he go to sleep when he could have grabbed a couple of Padawans.

The hint of rebel Vong was great though.

8. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I asked about the lightsaber color in the chat last night:

[19:05] <GhentZ> <Wedge88> Why didn't Anakin's lightsaber color change when he installed the new crystal?
    [19:06] <Greg> Because Lucasfilm said very specifically that it had to stay the same color.
    [19:06] <GhentZ> Any idea why?
    [19:06] <Greg> Yes.

Heh.

9. Xun_Tsarea

Xun_Tsarea Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2001
    Apologies to those fed up by the lightsaber thing, but I thought I would try to use physics to explain it (My teachers would be so proud), and I generally have to act on impulse.

Heres how I see it. The lightsaber is effectively a short range laser, and as such the light emitted by it is part of the em spectrum. Now the colour of the light is a product of the lights frequency, and the thing about waves is that their frequency CAN NOT be changed. The crystal acts as a lens focusing the light, but it doesn't actually generate the light waves, this is done earlier on in the lightsaber. Therefore this I believe is why Anakins lightsaber remains the same colour.

10. RainbowDroideka

RainbowDroideka Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2000
    It has been said in many places that the crystal in a lightsaber affects its color. Of course the crystal doesn't generate the light, but changing the wavelength isn't the only way to change the apparent color of the blade. I have always thought that the crystal is just filtering out the other wavelengths.

And if you're going to get all technical on us, the blade of a lightsaber couldn't be a laser, the foremost reason being that a laser will not stop a meter from its source unless there is something in the way, which in this case there obviously isn't.

I think a more likely explanation of a lightsaber blade would be that it is some sort of gas, contained by a force field, activated by the beam that travels through the crystal. Not that that really works either. Oh well.

Sorry, that was kind of off subject. I just finished reading Conquest, and I really liked it. I haven't read a book this good in a really long time. I have one question: why are the Yuuzhan Vong on the cover blue? None of the books have ever said anything about that.

11. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I finally got the book!

Does anyone know if Uldir will be reappearing in Rebirth? I hope so!

12. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I forgot to ask about that. I wanted to ask about the Melodies too. Ahh well.

13. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Well, I noticed that in the interview, right after the lightsaber comment that Keyes made...

[19:06] <Windu> Purple goes so well with Anakin's eyes :)
    [19:07] <Greg> Now that they're green, you mean?
    [19:07] <GhentZ> D'oh!!!

Did Keyes mean that Anakin's eyes change color...? If so...how?

14. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    No, but they are green on the cover.

15. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    As for Anakin and Tahiri, and the possibility of a romance. I think it's going to happen. I think Ikrit said as much when he said he said he "witnessed the birth of something between them". I'm surprised Anakin didn't give Tahiri a kiss at the end, as a way of letting her know he's going to be there for her and as a birthday present. I think their "joining of minds" is similar to what Luke and Mara do every now an then, sort of like having their Force presences hug each other.

16. Darth Cerberus

Darth Cerberus Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 1999
    Moving on from the lightsabre issue ... how many time are we going to have Jacen's petty moral dilemas shoved down our throats? He didn't learn anything from DT, or AoC:JE, and now apparently not from BP either. When he said that he wasn't proud of what he did to save his own mother's life in BP (EoV:C p. 26), that was a real kick in the teeth. So not only is he a hypocrite who will allow hundreds of thousands to die for the sake of his conscience, but now he can't even bring himself to acknowledge that just maybe using the Force to save his mother's life was a good thing. KT went to great lengths to try to make out that Jacen had some sort of epiphany in the BP climax, and now he's totally rejected that? Now that we've FINALLY gotten to see other Jedi in action, other than Jacen, I'm really not keen on going back to his incessant whining.

But other than that I enjoyed the book imensely! :D

17. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    I agree with you immensely about the Jacen thing. I barely finished BP because he was in it so much...I suppose the Jacen book coming out soon will be pretty much the same, although I *REALLY* hope not...it starts getting a little annoying after a while!

18. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah, Jacen can be pretty annoying. I much prefer Jaina and Anakin to him.

19. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Just got the book yesterday. I'm on page 44, but already I like the dialogue between Mara and Luke a lot more than the previous novels (with the possible exception of Stackpole's). The prologue was a nice touch, much like the pre-credit sequence of a Bond film. Also liked the opening meeting with Kyp and Luke at each others' throats, metaphorically speaking.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Slap Me! Slap me now!! Why? I forgot the release date!!! I had to get it on the 11th... though I read it nonstop to try to make up for it (literally)....

No comments right now... my computer's new video card is dead.... it is only running on 16 colors... and if i try to update the drivers... windows crashes on me....

I'll be back when im not in so much turnmoil.... and when my computer is decent again...

21. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    When Jacen said he wasn't proud about what he did, I took that not as being ashamed that he saved his mother or went back to using the Force, but that he saw what he did as something that he had to do, not something to boast about. If Anakin or Kyp had done it, Jacen or Luke would never have heard the end of it- they'd constantly be telling Luke or Jacen that that was vindication for their point of view.

For Jacen, it's a necessary task, but not one to boast about. He's come to see the war as necessary- look at his actions in the end of Balance Point and in Conquest- but not something to be proud of. He thinks war and fighting are necessary evils, and takes no pride in being able to fight and kill effectively. As opposed to Kyp, who is proud that he's been able to kill a bunch of Vong.

In Saving Private Ryan, Tom Hanks' character was an ordinary guy put into terrible circumstances. He fought, he killed, and he was very good at it. But he didn't take pride in being able to kill well. He dreamed of home, and of his family. Right now, Jacen has become very much like him. He understands that the war needs to be fought, and will fight whenever he has to, as hard as he has to. But he doesn't like it, and his dreams are of peace. Does that make him a bad soldier? I don't think so. I'd rather have a army of people like that, fighting for their homes and families, than an army of people like Kyp, fighting for their pride and their love of fighting. Especially after the war is over.

22. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Keyes said Jacen'd be kicking some ass in Rebirth so don't worry about him.

23. Ganner

Ganner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2000
    That was a very good explaination of Jacen's actions, Gandalf. :) Looking at it that way works best, since then it doesn't contradict BP or Kathy's work to write-in an epiphany for Jacen.

Ganner

24. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Hey Gandolf, I like your analysis of Jacen and Kyp. I'm not so sure about Anakin, because he doesn't seem to be boasting at all about his record.

However, I think both Anakin and Jacen have changed in another way. Until Balance Point, Anakin seemed to act without thinking, while Jacen spent more time thinking than in acting. These factors probably caused them to act the way they did in most of the NJO series so far. However, I think Jacen managed to find the balance between thinking and acting in Balance Point, and the same thing happened to Anakin in Conquest.

As for Kyp, your statement of his vindication is relevant, but I don't think you've stated the enorminity of his need for vindication. Most people probably see Kyp as the killer of Carida. He's been through what Corran has been through being labeled the slayer of Ithor. Kyp devoted his life to being a Jedi Knight, but many people still judge him over what he did with the Sun Crusher. I think he's become obsessed with clearing his name. While clearing his name is a laudable goal, but I think his obsession has blinded him to the methods he's using to reach that goal, and these methods are driving him to the dark side once again.

25. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    And I'm one those who judges him for that, still....

"As for Kyp, your statement of his vindication is relevant, but I don't think you've stated the enorminity of his need for vindication. Most people probably see Kyp as the killer of Carida. He's been through what Corran has been through being labeled the slayer of Ithor. Kyp devoted his life to being a Jedi Knight, but many people still judge him over what he did with the Sun Crusher. I think he's become obsessed with clearing his name. While clearing his name is a laudable goal, but I think his obsession has blinded him to the methods he's using to reach that goal, and these methods are driving him to the dark side once again."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.