main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Conquest discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LawgSkrak, Mar 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Unfortunatley, I DON'T have it yet. I'm hoping it will come tomorrow. :_|

2. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    I just found Conquest at Media Play!

3. Opie Wan Cannoli

Opie Wan Cannoli Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 1999
    WARNING!!! ACTUAL SPOILERS!!!
    (Oh, and I got mine from the Waldenbooks in South Burlington, VT)
    Anakin teams up with a shamed Yuuzhan Vong warrior- we learn about the Vong underclass (the Shamed Ones)- Ani the Deuce gains a new understanding about the Yuzzies' reasoning, and some of the Shamed Ones (low-ranking Yuzzies, not GFFAer slaves) begin to see the Jedi as their possible liberators (which could be the glimmer of light at the end of the NJO tunnel (now, if only Borsk stops being his intractable self!)

4. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK!

5. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    How does it end? If you've gotten that far, that is.

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Freakin'-a.

Intrigue. I like. Now Allston's books can have the Wraiths doing their sneaking around since they have Vong friends.

7. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Oh and what's the exact page count?

8. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Becca, they are all off reading. Can't answer your questions.

9. Corran9

Corran9 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Why would you WANT to know how it ends? I wanna read it for myself. Oh the torture!

10. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. It seems like forever since their was a NJO book out. :)

11. anyueman

anyueman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2000
    The page count is 291.

12. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    too short.

I guess they are going for quality verse quanity.

13. Corran9

Corran9 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    or writers block

14. Demon_Lord_Piccolo

Demon_Lord_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2001
    Ugh. I didn't want to be spoiled. But I was scrolling down the page and saw the first line of a spoiler! Ah, well. I guess it doesn't ruin the book too much. :D

EDIT: Well, now that I look back on the topic it says "Spoilers Allowed." I should've been more careful. Ah, well!

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    As soon as possible, could someone post a full summary?

16. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Do you enjoy taking all the fun out of it, Becca? ;)

Then again, I'm in here too...

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Ok, I?ve finished Conquest. I read it at work this evening, and I just got home, and it?s 1am here, so if I don?t make sense, blame it on the Yuuzhan Vong- not Vong, ~Yuuzhan~ Vong. :)

The Good

First of all, when they said this book focused on Anakin, they weren?t lying. Almost all of the novel is centered around him, for better or for worse. For me personally, it was worse, but at least he wasn?t nearly as annoying as he was in novels past. For once, he was thinking about what he did (sometimes), and not just acting blindly. There weren?t many points in the book I was wishing I could blast him, which speaks very well for the story.

Incidentally, Greg Keyes is a great writer, able to write very vivid descriptions. His characterizations weren?t bad either, when characters other than Anakin were on screen. Talon Karde was very funny to read. Lines like ?Shada might still manage to kill them all, but that would leave the galaxy short one Talon Karde, which would be a terrible tragedy,? made his bits very good fun.

Rafts of people make cameo appearances here- Qorl, Ikrit, Valin Horn, H?sishi, and others. Some of them felt a bit forced, like Qorl, but most were integrated fairly seamlessly. We didn?t actually get to see Corran I don?t think, though he was flying around in a battle at the end. Apparently he?s taken up cooking.

Luke and Mara weren?t written to bad for their quick seen near the beginning. Mara is suffering from mood swings and odd cravings, and is anticipating bloated ankles and the rest of it to begin shortly. Jaina and Anakin figure it out in this book.

In his short scenes, Warmaster Tsavong Lah is obsessing about Jacen Solo. :D I can?t wait for the next time those two meet?

The Bad

Han and Leia are mentioned perhaps twice. Apparently Luke has stashed the two of them away somewhere.

Still too much of the torture stuff for my taste. I found what they were doing to Tahiri very disturbing.

It?s all about Anakin. ~sigh~

Short Summery: Anakin and Jacen figure out that the Vong are going to attack Yavin 4. Anakin disobeys his uncle and hops in his X-Wing, coming to the rescue (in this case, I?ll give him the benefit of the doubt- for once he actually seemed to be listening to the Force). Finds Peace Brigade people there. Makes his way to the Academy, helps Kam and Tionne evacuate the kids. He stays behind to buy some time, along with Tahiri, Ikrit, Valin Horn, and Sannah. Ikrit dies, and though Anakin gets away, Tahiri is captured by the Vong. Anakin leaves the other kids with Qorl, and heads back to rescue Tahiri. Along the way he breaks his lightsaber and meets a Vong warrior who is willing to lend a hand. Meanwhile, the Vong have torn down the Academy and built their organic buildings. Tahiri is slowly being shaped and tortured and brainwashed, as they assimilate her. Anakin and his new Vong pal arrive and go undercover for a few days, Anakin posing as a slave. Eventually he repairs his lightsaber, and gain the ability to sense the Vong, to a limited degree. I?ll have to go back and reread all of that section? At the last moment before Tahiri is put on a ship, he arrives. Things turn ugly, but Tahiri breaks through her brainwashing and saves him. She?s still seriously screwed up though. Escaping the planet, the cavalry arrives in the form of Corran Horn, Jaina and Jacen (all in X-Wings) and Booster Terrik (in his ~red~ Star Destroyer). There?s a short epilogue where Jacen and Anakin argue philosophy, and then Anakin goes to Tahiri. And in the last scene, we find that some Vong are perhaps abandoning belief in their gods for the belief in the Jedi.

18. Demon_Lord_Piccolo

Demon_Lord_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2001
    I....must...not.....read! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

19. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Thanks Gandolf! Can't wait to read it myself.

Ikrit! :_| :(

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Wow, Gandolf. You mind if I post that summary on my page? You'll get full credit, and a link if you've got a homepage or something.

21. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    This is looking good--and I live in a town with bookstores that either don't know what star wars is--or won't put them out until the 3rd.

22. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't believe Han and Leia aren't in it at all.

What a total gyp after Leia's injuries and the estrangement plotline.

Ugh, I'm beginning to hate the NJO more and more.

23. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    WOW, Gandolf thanks!

24. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Yeah thanks!

25. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    "Meanwhile, the Vong have torn down the Academy and built their organic buildings."

I wonder what they'd make of all the Sith paraphernalia lying around in the lower levels of some of those temples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.