main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY The Official Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    We've had a couple various threads over the months where we discuss our costumes, but I figured it would be nice to start a new thread devoted just to costume chatter.

I just ordered my Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet from www.tk560.com this morning.
    And, I thought of Jeff when I saw those and the E-11 blaster kits they had for sale.

So, as I've mentioned before I have that costume I'm working on, plus I'm planning on totally revamping my Jedi and attempting Padme's green cut velvet dress from EIII - all before Halloween. [face_worried]

So how are other folks coming along?

~Doc_Bev

2. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Just a few Mods/Updates on my jedi to do, + it's official I now have in my possession a tie fighter pilot helmet. It needs some work but it's a start, Now I just need to get the chest box/armor, jumpsuit, & gloves & will be good to go.

3. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    We've been busy.

Leia Ewok village dress - still waiting for my hair to grow longer, perhaps find a nicer wig. We visited a nice wig store in Greece Ridge Center last night, but did not price any.

Mara Jade/the Emperor's Hand - I have the material, clasp and pattern for her new purple cloak. I found a belt I liked (not exactly like hers) which is a bit big so it falls on my hips instead of waist like how she wears it. We are thinking of visiting the Tandy Leather store in Syracuse for the correct buckle, but I like this one. I'm thinking of splitting a belt to make her harness if I can find a center disk for it. So, I can return to Diane her gray cloak and belt, but would still have her leather top. No luck finding another one yet. As for the PVC catsuit Tom bought last Halloween to modify for Mara, not sure if I will. It doesn't breathe (and neither can I when I'm in it) unlike my leather pants and top. We visited Fabrics and Findings last Saturday, but they didn't have much black leather left. I saw the perfect red wig in that wig shop for her too if I didn't want to keep dyeing my hair.

Leia's classic white dress - Diane is coming over tonight to help with pinning the hem on the bottom and to work on the belt, hair or anything else to finish that.

There are a lot of other ideas floating around my head that I would love to do, so we scouted around a lot last weekend pricing things or surfing for tutorials, photos, or information. I did the classic Leia white dress because I wanted a recognizable costume and we saw the pattern and found the material in the clearance bin at Wal-Mart for $1 per yard, but so many of us already have that costume. I also thought I might be able to use her buns for a Padme costume too, but not sure if or when that will get done. Since I am always cold, I would really like a warm costume or one I could wear something under it. Perhaps, I could wear something under the classic Leia white dress. We'll have to wait and see what comes our way.

4. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Those hair buns will hold the heat in...trust me.

I'm working on several costumes now, but until The Witching Hour is over (the second weekend in October) and I'm finished teaching my workshop there, all my SW stuff is on hold.

If all goes well though, I should have a new costume done for Epsiode III. Hopefully...

5. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Costume Wishlist..in no particular order

1. Jawa (if only I could find a decent bandolier)
    2. Dash Rendar..(VERY early stages..still working on the gun)
    3. Dark Jedi..(Preferrably the Darth from KOTOR but I dont know anymore)
    4. Jayne Cobb..(seems to be the easiest)
    5. Punisher (for possible D-Con consideration)
    6. Cable (another D-Con consideration)

Goes without saying I want to do.
    Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, Scout Trooper, maybe an E3 Clone.

6. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Yeah, although the wig holds in a lot of heat like when the camera lights were on us during the MDA telethon, my legs can still be cold in the Ewok village dress.

Oh yeah - new snag on Mara's cloak - Can anyone read French? The directions for the McCall's pattern are in French. Well, the first 2 pages have both English and French, but pages 4-6 are all in French. Luckily, it looks simple and the hood looks a lot like Leia's hood even though that's a Simplicity pattern. Oh yeah, Mara doesn't have a hood. [face_blush] Maybe I can make her cloak tonight or tomorrow night. :)

So, how long are you going to keep us in suspense about your new Ep. III costume, HothGirl?

(editted)

7. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    You'll be in suspense until I know for sure whether or not I can get it done in time. :p

It's still pretty iffy at this point since I can't start until the third week of October on it...so we'll see. I may try and start collecting material anyway since that may take a bit of time.

8. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Lets see... Picking up my Brown Solo pants next week. That will of course be good for future ESB and ROTJ Han costumes. Endor Han needs at least a Holster to be complete. That will be a long time down the road. That will not stop me from wearing them at grape and wine though. I am looking into lab coats and how to modify them for the Endor Jacket. I should also acquire a better shirt as his Endor one is more of a white color and a different style then the other 2. I will also be looking into a Chef coat for the ESB Han shirt. Of course I will still need the darn Holster. Hopefully I can figure out how do get a holster and then have it be interchangeable somehow for all three movies. If only he had his jacket on after being captured and disarmed on Cloud City, then I could get away with it like Death Star Escape Han.

I am also thinking about someday doing Rebel Trooper and / or Black Imperial Officer ( StormTrooper Commander) to go along with our troopers.

The E-11s for HothGirl and myself are coming along once again. I started working on them again. I am starting to form the metal parts which are the major pieces to make. I am using a vice and pliers to bend some of the metal.

I may make the rebel trooper blaster even without the costume after I get the E-11s done. It?s a lot easier then those are.

If I am not mistaken that blaster can also be used with a black imperial officer. I remember one of them using one in a scene from ANH.

9. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    The way to weather the lab coat is with spray paint. I'm almost sure that's how they were done for ROTJ...the weathering that is.

Although (I'm not looking at a picure so I'm just guessing) you may want to dye it a base shade first, then spray paint it. :)

10. wookie_cookie

wookie_cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    Hey Daria, I thought your Leia Endor wig looked fine on TV, what's wrong with it?

My "preggo Padme in hell" costume is coming along. The top is done. (Or as done as it is going to get) Emily made the pin out of sculpey but I think it I too big, I have to convince her to make a smaller one. It only took her a few minutes to make the first one and it looked great, its just too big. :p Haven't started the brooch part yet, but I have some pics printed out and saved on the comp. The harness is being a pain in the butt. Emily and I went to the Tandy leather store in Syracuse, but I didn't like what they had, so we went to JoAnn's in Carousel center mall and got some brown vinyl. Emily sewed it, but now she can't get it turned right side out. I told her to use a chopstick, like I read over on the costuming boards, but it isn't working... So we have to redo it. Well, she will. :p

11. JediMasterSorenKedo

JediMasterSorenKedo Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    Hey everyone, I'm really new at the whole SW costuming thing, and I'd like nothing more than to have a great New Republic Jedi costume for this Holloween. If anyone could point me in the right direction for some good stores (online or Rochester local) id really appreciate it. Cloaks, patterns, belts, boots, anything that you think would be useful.

Thanks a bunch :)

12. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001

Yeah thats what I was thinking. First I have to find the right coat. Then the right colors.

13. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    JediMasterSorenKedo -

Yeah! Another costumer! So far what we've been using for our prequel style Jedis are the Simplicity patterns (modified a bit) that were on sale recently at Jo-Ann's. I can't recall the #s of the top of my head. All of my fabric I got from Jo-Ann's. Boots I lucked out by getting at a garage sale. And I went to Craft Service on University for the leather for my belt. Hopefully we can squeeze in another prop/costume building party into our schedule soon, but in the meantime feel free to ask questions here and/or at our monthly meetings. Other good resources to try are www.rebellegion.com, the costuming/prop boards here on FanForce and the Jedi Academy (can't remember their website at the moment).

~Doc_Bev

14. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    We first used Simplicity pattern #5840 with some modifications for the Tom's Jedi costume before they came out with a new version #4450 last month. I think Diane used the cloak pattern from this new pattern for Carol's new cloak to avoid the yolk on the original pattern. Pattern #5794 is one of the cloak patterns we bought as well, but I don't know if anyone has used it yet. Check out http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=4&type=19&sec=0&id=59&startrow=1 for more information.

I used a simple McCall's cloak pattern for Mara's new cloak, which I only need to hem and attach the clasp. YEAH!

15. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Just got my next Jo-Ann's flier in the mail today. Simplicity patterns will be on sale for $1.99 on Saturday the 24th only.

~Doc_Bev

16. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Figures...we'll be at G&W...

17. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I'm assuming we'll get home or at least to Buffalo before Jo-Ann's closes - which on Saturdays isn't until 9pm.

~Doc_Bev

18. Recaf2000

Recaf2000 Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2005
    I made a smaller pin for Wookiee Cookiee's Padme costume. Also made the brooch and have the harness done. I ended up using my hot glue gun to make it (but then our sewing machine decided it would work again).. so I made another harness as a back up. I sewed it right side out with 2 seams running along the edge.

I'm going to make a Barriss Offee costume. I ordered the cape/cloak online. I was thinking about buying a black turtleneck and make a skirt. I bought a McCall's pattern for a skirt but it needs to be longer. I looked at make-up today but decided to wait til closer to Halloween.

Has anyone made this before or has any suggestions for a pattern?

19. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Adri is who you'd want to talk to...she has a killer Bariss costume!

Check Padawan's Guide as well, there's a little bit of info on there. Also, there's a lengthy thread on this costume in the FF costuing section. :)

20. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Yay! That's great that you're going to make a Barriss Offee costume!
    I think you would look awesome in that costume!

Our local Barriss Offee is all grown up and went off to college so now she's in Albany. :_|

Arlene's Costume store and the Spirit Halloween stores here in Greece already have all their Halloween stuff out, so you could probably start looking now. For Darren's Darth Maul make-up he bought everything he needed from Arlene's on Portland Ave.

I also set-up a Barriss Offee reference gallery with all the photos that I have of her. Not many, but it's a start.

~Doc_Bev

21. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    This is kind of a side note, but I was dying when I was reading this!

A bunch of the SW costumes were at Fashion Week this week in NYC. The black corest dress was there and the greatest revelation about that dress was revealed (or at least I think it's pretty dang great!) the skirt is not a skirt with a lace overlay, it apparently looks to be burnout velvet and just one piece of fabric. No overlay at all.

People have been constructing this since the movie came out and most every skirt I've seen has had two layers.

That made my night! I both love and hate costume designers of this. I love the fact they keep you guessing, but I hate the fact that they screw with your head (intentional or not). :p

22. JediMasterSorenKedo

JediMasterSorenKedo Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    Wow thanks a bunch guys... That's a great help!!!

At least I have somewhere to start now :)

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Not a problem JMSorenKedo!

I just got my RFT helmet kit in today! [face_dancing]
    Won't be ready in time for G&W unfortunately, but thanks to Diane I'm hoping my new set of Jedi Robes will be done in time! My current set are so ill fitting and uncomfortable.
    Well, off to Lowe's & Jo-Ann's for more costuming parts! I don't know what I'd do if we ever moved off Ridge Road.

~Doc_Bev

24. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Hey gang;

Anyone got a leather punch that I could borrow ASAP? I got all the leather and dye for the belt I'm working on for Steve today, but forgot that I'd given back the leather punch to the person I borrowed it from before!! Anyone in the Ra-Cha-Cha area got one to lend in the next 24 hours?

25. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I think KnightShade has one, I'll have to check when he gets home from work tonight.

I just picked up my BDU pants and vest from Iron Mikes, so after a couple alterations I should have all the soft parts of my RFT done. Still have to start on the helmet, but that should hopefully be done with plenty of time to spare.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.