Roch, NY The Official Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Does anyone have any Tandy Belts or leftover Flat Belt Buckles?
    I needs for my TIE.
  2. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    As a matter of fact , we have a couple of the buckles . I forgot to tell you about that for the belt just of out & find one that has snaps to hold the buckle on, pop off the existing & pop on the tandy.
  3. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I might have some extras of those as well. I'll have to do some digging once we get back in town to find them though. :p I know they're in the living room somewhere...

~Doc_Bev
  4. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  5. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I found the ones we have. We have 4 left over from that order that I placed a while back. I don't know if any of them are spoken for. I think I gave the ones out already to everyone that ordered them and got some extras for folks that had expressed an interested in RFT.

In other news, I finished lining the hood to my Padme dress, am about 85% done with the brooch and put the hooks on the purple sash. So now I just need to hem up the whole bottom of the dress and I'll be ready for Boston.

Then I get to start on my Jawa!

Oh, and in other other news, there's a indoor yard sale of the Rochester chapter of the American Sewing Guild this Saturday (March 4th) only from 9-11:30am at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Center (249 Highland Ave) where they'll be selling fabric, sewing related items and craft supplies. I already have plans that morning, but it sounds like it has the potential to be a costumers treasure trove!

~Doc_Bev
  6. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4

We'll check it out befor bowling & after the vet appointments ;-)

7. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Nicky
    How much would I owe you for the buckle/belt?
  8. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    $500:eek: no more like 2 or 3$
  9. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just went back through the thread and it looks like they worked out to $4.09 a buckle.

~Doc_Bev
  10. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, my Padme dress is going to take a bit longer than I thought.
    I have a lot of seam repair to do in the back train. I think I've been stepped on a few too many times. :p
    But, I still think I should be done before Boston.

~Doc_Bev
  11. TD-027 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sorry about that Doc_Bev I know I've got ya twice or Thrice:oops:
  12. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's OK. [:D]
    I've got to learn to get used to wearing a dress with a train or else I'm going to be constantly repairing it.

I finished the bottom hem tonight and I think I'm calling the dress done for Boston and Village Gate if I wear it there. But after those I'm sure I'll have more seam repair to do. Now I just need to finish the brooch then I can get to work on my Jawa. :D

~Doc_Bev
  13. TD-027 Jedi Knight

star 2

Jawa! Sweet!
  14. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've finished my brooch good enough for Boston and I tried on my dress to make sure it still fits well after the hemming. The front hem is getting a little high because my now natural roundness is much bigger than the pregnancy pillow I made for the DVD release, but there's not much I can do about that for a few months. :p

Yesterday I dyed my Jawa material and I don't think it came out dark enough, but I think I'm going to wait until I see the NEG's Jawa costume before I think about re-dying. Today I ordered some pouches for one of the two bandoliers I'll need to wear. So I'm making some progress...

~Doc_Bev
  15. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey gang;

Just thought I'd let you all know of a great deal going on right now at JoAnn Fabrics, especially for anyone interested in doing (additional) Jedi costumes/tunics. They are currently having a sale on their crinkle cotton gauze ivory/natural fabric, which is the closest thing to Jedi tunic material I've seen commercially available. Best part: it's now 50% off, as the crinkle cotton gauze somehow got re-categorized under their "Destination India" fabrics line, which apparently is on it's way out. I don't expect them to discontinue the gauze fabric; they'll probably just re-name it again later. I got the bulk of a full bolt today for approximately $24.00. There's no way I'd have spent $48 bux on the stuff.

I'm also poised to purchase another bolt in Penfield tomorrow, that appears to be anywhere from eight to twelve yards of material. Though I'm planning on doing an Obi-Wan Episode 2 tunic, a dye-to-dark-brown for an new, more correct Anakin tunic, and more than likely a Qui-Gon Jinn tunic (which may have different material... hmmmm...), this will probably give me more material than I need. So I will await requests from the rest of you, if anyone needs some fabric of this type. Just Consider me an intermediary, getting the fabric to you. This deal, for me, was just too good to pass up, what with all the costumes I need to do.

It's also worth noting that the crinkle cotton gauze also exists in BLACK (THINK: Darth Maul outfit) and a RUST ORANGE color, and I believe at the same price. I may also have seen purple... though I don't exactly recall... Why couldn't they just have DARK BROWN, dammit?!?!?

By the way; TRIVIA ALERT as many of you may already know, it has been previously reported that the Jedi tunics were crafted for the films from a material that was actually called "Indian Homespun". Ironic, don'tcha think? "It's like ray-ay-ain... on your wedding day..."
  16. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    MadKid has once again gone to the bottle and changed the color of his Jedi mane. But this time, I think I've got it right. For $2.99 I picked up Revlon shade #61 "Dark Blonde", and it's as close to Ani-colored as I've had yet. No more "surfer dude" Anakin!

SO.... no takers on the crinkle cotton gauze, eh? Well, if ya's change yer minds...
  17. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just got these in the mail yesterday...

~Doc_Bev
  18. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    [face_plain] Just another "Crinkle Cotton Gauze Alert!!!" Saw two, still shrink wrapped bolts today at Wal-Mart. Regular price (get ready to love this); $2.97/yd. Three cents cheaper per yard than I paid last week at JoAnn's, and that's a everyday low price at Wally's... :mad: Oh well... [face_plain] However, one bolt was ivory (like I got last week) the other was bleach white. The ivory is pretty much ready to go for most Jedi outfits (think Obi-Wan's tunic color). The white is too bright for most tunics, but could be dyed to whatever you choose.
  19. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, here's draft one of my Jawa costume.

There's a bit of work still to do, but I can't efficiently do most of it until after the baby is born so that sizing is a little more accurate. ;)

I sent in my 501st application yesterday - wish me luck!

~Doc_Bev
  20. wookie_cookie Jedi Knight

star 1
    That looks great! Good luck!!
  21. TX4277 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Good luck on the app Nicky. We will soon have another member in Excelsior! YAY!
  22. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    I finally was able to win an auction for a pair of German boots. These are East German style, a little different, but good enough. Seems like just the right size. I just hope they actually fit. Got a nice tench coat coming to paint up for Endor Han. I gave up on the whole Lab coat plan. That would be a little more accurate but more work. In any case the length would be all wrong. Its hard to find a coat like that. Every where I go it says that it was a lab coat they used but I can not find a Lab coat long enough that goes down to the feet. There are tench coats that do but are expensive and look to different in style. The one I got coming seems good enough. If the boots work out then the next step to making it Rebel Legion worthy is a holster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/East-German-Officers-Dress-Boots_W0QQitemZ6618633406QQcategoryZ13983QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  23. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Yet another "Crinkle Cotton Gauze Alert!!!"
    Stumbled across some more crinkle cotton yesterday at Wal-Mart... and, at last... in BROWN!!! Found, not just brown, but mulitple shades of brown, and at only (get ready to love this)... $1.00/yard!!! I purchased two of the shades yesterday, got another today (in Henrietta). I got 4 yds. of the "richer" brown, and a full bolt of 12 yds. of a duller brown, which truly looks "chocolatey" (as the Ani-tunic color has often been described as chocolate), and another (15 yds.) in a slightly different shade... should be enough. Back to the C3 reference photos before I decide which to use. I'm tempted to go back for more... too cheap not to...

They still had plenty of the "bubble gauze" cottons t $2.97, but these $1.00 per yard bolts are in too many hues to list here. Black, purple, tan... the rainbow, kiddies. Now's the time for tunics, kids, and I will, no doubt, have extra material for anyone interested...
  24. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah I'm approved! I think my ID will be DZ8397, but I'm not quite sure yet.

~Doc_Bev
  25. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Didn't know where to post this, so I think I'll Dual-post it here and in our MR thread... buy anyway...

Yesterday I finally obtained an MR FX Anakin Ep.3 saber for "belt dressing". I went to Marketplace Mall with my friend Rob, and stumbled into the Spencers Gifts store there (where 3-4 weeks ago saw that they had the Ani saber, the Vader Ep.V FX saber, and the "Borders exclusive" (NOT) Luke Ep.VI FX sabers on display). The only Ani saber was the "try me" one, and was even then showing some serious shop-wear. Then, the guy would only sell it for 25% of, or $75.00. Well, yesterday, I went in, saw the saber, tried to power it up... no blade lights, and the only sound was the power up noise, which was quick-repeating. Being a consumer of this product already, I knew that this was probably just a sign of spent batteries (turns out, it was), but I asked the girl if they'd be willing to sell it to me real cheap. She went and got the manager (the same guy I had asked those many weeks ago), and this time, he made an offer I couldn't refuse... 75% off, or $25.00!! $27.00, with tax. Of course I took it home. After I picked it up a worker at the Game-Stop store there recognized me from our stint at Tinseltown during the Ep.3 Premiere weekend. I still have to wonder if it was because I was carrying that 'saber around the Mall...

So today I attempted to remove the lade, and I'm happy to say... it's off! And it looks great hanging from the belt. Still weighty, as I keep batteries in it, 'cuz the sound mechanism still works perfectly. However, with the blade detached, there's no clash sounds. Just power up/down, and the gyro controled "swoosh" sound. Very cool though. Other than some cosmetic touch ups to the hilt, she looks good. The plastic parts that had to be pryed off were kinda stressed, so I'm gonna try some epoxy or resin fixes on the plastic flaws, and then try to restore the finish with some metallic paints when that dries.

After having attempted this, I gotta say, it ain't easy, but if you can get one cheap... do it. Beats wearing a $350 limited edition prop replica around...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.