JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I got you started on sours!!!
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Has anyone had the Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale? It's quite good.
  3. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Too soon for pumpkin stuff. Needs to be like October.
  4. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I've tried the Lakefront Brewery Pumpkin Lager, it wasn't bad. Then had a delicious Pumking by Southern Tier. Now that was like pumpkin pie beer.
    Isotope217 likes this.
  5. Yoda_S Force Ghost

star 3
    I had a Bell's Two Hearted Ale the other day which was really good.
  6. Isotope217 Force Ghost

star 3
    Despite its detractors, I pick up at least one Pumking a season. Great dessert beer for sipping and savoring.

Speaking of dessert beers, I recently had Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Probably the most chocolatey beer I've ever tasted. Lots of coconut flavors as well if that's your thing.

Also had a Smuttynose Homunculus last week. Its a Strong Belgian-style Golden Ale. Lots of flavors there -- starts with a Saison spicyness and finishes like a Belgian Tripel. Really strong kick at just below 10% abv as well.

Right now I opened my first 16 oz Narragansett Fest Lager of the season! [face_party]
  7. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It's never too soon.[face_not_talking]
  8. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    That's probably in my beer top 5. I always have to have one whenever I go back home.

Now I want to go out and buy some pumpkin beer, guys. Thanks [face_plain]
  9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I did buy another bottle of Pumking last night. :p
  10. SoloKnight Force Ghost

star 4
    I live for all things pumpkin, and that includes my beer. Blue Moon is my favorite mass produced pumpkin ale, but now that I live in Seattle I have discovered the holy grail of pumpkin beer. I am talking of Elysian Brewery's Pumpkin Ale Fest. That's right, a beer festival with nothing but pumpkin ales. Elysian's Night Owl is my favorite so far, but I'm looking forward to trying many others.

For non-pumpkin beers, I'm loyal to my hometown's local brewery, Firestone. If you like dark beers and haven't had their DBA, do yourself a favor and go buy one immediately. (If you can find it. It's scarce outside the California Central Coast.)
  11. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Finally broke down and bought a six pack of Great Divide Rumble. I'd seen it in tap at my soccer bar, but didn't want to pay their price to try it. It's a wonderful beer. Smooth. An IPA that doesn't try to knock you over with hops, and the barrel aging worked very nicely.
  12. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I might have to trek up to Seattle for that Pumpkin Ale Fest.
  13. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    I bought some Southampton Pumpkin Ale and was pleasantly surprised. New York beers really haven't impressed me thus far but this one is really delicious. Now I'm just anxiously awaiting the release of Great Lakes Nosferatu so I can have a pack or two of that shipped my way...

Also, has anyone had Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale? I had it last fall and was so, so disappointed (especially for the price). I heard nothing but good things about it and it really just fell flat for me. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by xblackout, Sep 8, 2013
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    You should check out Ommegang.
  15. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Since I joined the gym I've decided that beer will be only for weekends, or special occasions.

Last week I tried Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout and @WookatMe wasn't kiddding, such a good dessert stout. Tonight, I'm treating myself to another of Southern Tier's stouts, Warlock. Another pumpkin stout and to me even better than their Pumking. I might have to check more or Southern Tier as their stouts are just exceptional.
  16. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw Warlock on Facebook today and I need to try it!
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Has anyone tried the new Redd's Apple Ale strawberry flavored? It's horrendous.
  18. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yes you do!

@I Are The Internets - so apple strawberry flavored? Not a fan of apple flavored things and that sounds disgusting.
  19. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It was. I could only drink 3 of them. I'll stick with the original flavor.
  20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Horrible and disgusting, yet you drank 3?

They had better been free.
  21. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    it's the weekend and I get to have a beer!

Wells Banana Bread Beer was recommended and I found some. Not a big fan of banana 'flavored' things as they tend to be cloyingly sweet, like over ripe bananas. This was more like a banana with the edges slightly green, my favorite kind and it really mixed surprisingly well with beer.

I'll have another.
  22. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    I just recently tried that on tap (I previously had a bottle of it and didn't really pick up on the banana at all so I was curious to taste the difference) and it seriously tasted like banana Laffy Taffy. Never again.
  23. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
  24. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    See laffy taffy would be the too sweet banana, blech!

Tonight's treat is a Southern Tier 2X Stout. Still like their Creme Brulee stout more.
  25. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Bought myself a growler of Barrier's SaazSquash tonight from the neato beer store down the street. Brewed with butternut squash, ginger, Szechuan peppercorns, and honey...AND SO DELICIOUS.