main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm all about the new Anderson Valley Gose. I can't remember what it's called, the name is too long. But I need two a day to survive now.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

Healer_Leona likes this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    there are so many. it's endless. i never run out of new ones to try. i don't know how you can get them down there though. i know jp found a specialty shop in nz that carried a modest but good selection, including one my favorites, bear republic's racer 5 ipa. maybe something like that exists near you?

3. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah I couldn't find anything concrete for you. I spent a good hour researching but only came up with Aussie made beers.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I gave a bottle of Cooper's Extra Stout to a teacher of mine. He loved it. For those of you outside of Australia, Cooper's isn't really a craft beer just a beer you can't really get here stateside. Instead you get the crappy Foster's beer that is Australian for piss.

5. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I keep seeing you post this on Untappd and I can't wait to see it at my go-to beer store. I just tried (and loooved) the Westbrook Gose and I'm ready for more!

Speaking of Westbrook...one roommate and I got two growlers of Westbrook's Mexican Cake -- one from last year and one from this year. It was everything I hoped it would be and I'm really sad it's gone now haha

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

There's a really good store in the CBD which has a decent selection. I'll go look for the Bear Republic one.

you're the best tom, just in case you didn't know.

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    im trying to think of craft beers that I know distribute around the country and aren't just local.

Maybe Wasatch or Oddell? I've seen them in a couple different states so they might be big enough to have a reach down there. Idk New Belgium isn't really microbrew but of the bigass breweries they're the best. Haven't tried a beer from them I didn't appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've opened a bottle of Rogue's Honey Kolsch.

If I'd known Rogue was going to be making so many colorful bottles I would have been saving them.

WookatMe and xblackout like this.
  9. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I had a friend bring me back some beer from North Carolina as a birthday present, Legend brewing. A couple of bottles of their hefe, a bottle of their tripel and a bottle of their 2013 barley wine. I am thinking about aging the barleywine a year or two. But I will post my thoughts on the others when I try them. Has anybody else had any of these before?
    [​IMG]

10. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Have you tried the Beard Beer yet???[​IMG]

11. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I have not and admit the beard yeast is a bit of a turn off.

WookatMe likes this.
  12. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    I finally tried the Anderson Valley gose (on tap) and it was sooo delicious! I probably should have gotten a growler...

13. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I love that beer. I want it everyday.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Picked up a random build your own pack before heading to the mountains of stuff I hadn't tried before. Durango Brewing Blueberry Wheat was delicious. Avery Out of Bounds Stout was acceptable, but I wouldn't buy a six pack. Left Hand's Black Jack Porter tasted like Heaven. Seriously.

I was very much disappoint with Well's Banana Bread Beer.

I was derailed from finishing by picking up a bug, but I have two more adventures waiting for me in the fridge.

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Picked up a bottle of Beelzebub's Run by local brewery MobCraft. A raspberry, chocolate porter that I've been waiting to find it since I read it was the August winner. MobCraft holds a vote to determine the newest beer. Light fruity and chocolate flavor. Very nice.

Oooooh, looks like September's winner is Uncle T's English Toffee Caramel Ale. Wonder how that will stand up to Wells' Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale which I enjoyed.

DarthIntegral and WookatMe like this.
  16. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Those sound fantastic. So much good beer up north.

Speaking of northern beer, last night I opened a bottle I have been aging. Bell's Third Coast Old Ale 2012. I remember when I first bought the six pack a couple of years ago I had one fresh and it was so hoppy. As the years have passed the hops are barely there now. It's very malt forward beer now. Malty, sweet and boozy, very nice. I have one bottle left to save for next year, I imagine I won't be able to find the hops at all by then.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  17. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    Healer_Leona that sounds sooo good. Kinda sorta really jealous. And I was eyeing up that Third Coast when I was home (still haven't seen it in New York), but I already had a ton of beer I was bringing back with me and passed on it.

I had a pumpkin IPA from a local brewery recently which was surprisingly good. Definitely hope I come across it again before pumpkin season is over. And yesterday I got to have some slightly aged Westbrook Mexican Cake that was tapped across the street. It was good, but I definitely liked it more when I had it around the release time.

Healer_Leona and WookatMe like this.
  18. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Since I've got dinner going and football on I chose to open another bottle I had. New Holland's Incorrigible. A white sour ale. First sip was very sour, but now it's perfect!

xblackout, tom and WookatMe like this.
  19. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    Ahhhh want! I've become kind of obsessed with sours

Healer_Leona likes this.
  20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I still like my stouts and just opened one I think may become a top 5. New Belgium Salted Belgium Chocolate Stout. Soooo good!

WookatMe, DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Went out with a coworker of Mrs. Inty yesterday to a place that rotates through local beers with 75 on tap at a time. I kind of felt like I was in heaven.

Mrs. Inty had a delightful Pumpkin Cider. It's the rare alcoholic drink we both enjoy. My highlight of the day was a superb offering from Boulder Beer called Dragonhosen - it's an Imperial Octoberfest Nitro. Maybe the smoothest beer I've ever had (not shocking, being a nitro), but so damn good.

Leona - I passed on the Salted Belgium Chocolate Stout yesterday. I'm thinking I need to rectify that close to immediately.

PRENNTACULAR and Healer_Leona like this.
  22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    had the sierra nevada boomerang ipa during the game today. quality.

tom likes this.
  23. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I am looking for that one :)

24. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    Now, this is my kind of thread :D

Are their any Dogfish Head fans here in the JCC!?

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I've only tried a couple of their beers, but they were good. A Punkin Ale and Namaste.