main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Oh, on pumpkin ale...there are several that I haven't tried yet, but Kennebunkport is my favorite so far. Their blueberry wheat ale is excellent as well. This is the one area where Blue Moon goes wrong, their pumpkin ale didn't taste like pumpkin ale. (Although I think they may have discontinued it anyway, I don't remember seeing it last fall.)

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    The bottle is classic too.

3. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
    Samuel Smith makes some damn good stuff. Nut brown ale and imperial stout are my favorites.

Anybody tried Abita Andygator? Pretty good.

4. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I think I had a little bit of that at their brewpub a while back. Or maybe it was a Turbodog. I wanted to try a vanilla porter, but they were all out.

5. Krusty_the_Clone

Jul 4, 2006
    Vanilla Porter has too much vanilla for my tastes.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Never been a big fan of beer, until I discovered they do make some that are actually sweet enough for me to enjoy.

Lindemans Framboise was the first that I've really loved.

I've tried a couple others that I would have again. One was at Summerfest (local music fest) but I can't remember the name, something Axle or Gear... it was good.

Also local brewery Horny Goat, has a Milk Stout that I found very good.

7. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    Last night I had a change of plans and went out to the bar again so I did not get to have the Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog Ale. But I will be staying in to watch the Oscars tonight so I will have it tonight for sure.

Last night I tried two new beers that I really enjoyed. Overall it was a very fun evening, the bar was holding a Johnny Cash art tribute show with live music and some very interesting pieces on display. I had a scotch ale and a honey ale.

Old Chub Scotch Ale
    [image=http://notg.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/oldchub.jpg]
    (Note: Mine was draft and not in a can)

I started the night off with this scotch ale. I had never had a scotch ale so I wasn't so sure what to expect. The color was very dark. I was expecting a pretty bold flavor and but was surprised with how mild it was. It was very tasty though and was overall pleased with it.The aroma had a caramel smell with a hint of smoke. It had a very creamy feel and despite the ABV being 8% it did not have too strong of an alcohol taste. It also had a very pleasant coffee and chocolate after taste. You wouldn't want to drink it all night but it is a good starter or a change up beer. I would rate this beer an 8.

Barbar Honey Ale
    [image=http://legalbeer.com/images/lefebvre%20barbar.jpg]
    (Note: This one was draft as well and not bottled)

Oh my God. This beer was great. I actually had to settle for it when they were out of the beer I had originally ordered. I am glad it worked out that way. This beer was fantastic. This Belgian had so much flavor. As soon as you bring the glass to your mouth you are greeted with a floral aroma. This beer is a little sweeter than what I usually drink but it was so delicious that I didn't mind. There were so many different flavors but they were all very balanced and very smooth. It had citrus and honey flavor and perhaps some coriander. My wife and I both enjoyed a glass of it and discussed how pleased we were with every aspect of the beer,the smell, body, and taste. This beer has an ABV of 8%. I could taste the alcohol is this beer more than in the scotch ale and it gave a slight burn in the back of my throat that I enjoyed. I give this one a 9 and look forward to having it again.

So between the two strong beers and the lack of sleep I have had in the past two days I was feeling pretty good by the time I got home. Again I am going to try that Smuttynose tonight and I will try to find some time tomorrow to let you know what I thought of it.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    So you had a chubbie huh? Figured I get that out of the way. :p

The Honey Ale sounds like something I would like to try.

9. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Old Chub is pretty good. I initially bought some only because I was so amused by the name, but it is truly fine quality.

Let us know how it goes with the Smuttynose, Wook. I'm a big fan of their offerings. Be sure to try their Scotch Ale.
    [image=http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/twinbeer/TwinBeer/IMG_1362.jpg]
    Its one of the best brews I've ever had, especially when its been aged a bit. For some reason its tough for me to find lately.

I'd say I'm definitely on the hop side of the aisle. LOve Ipa's of all kinds, in fact Smutty's 'Finestkind' IPA is one of my all around favorite brews. I tend to skew away from the maltier brews, finding them usually too sweet, but with exceptions, like an Anchor Double-Bock, which for me is more balanced. If its a maltier profile, then it has to be a roasted malt of a Porter or Stout for me.

I usually try to pick up seasonal brews at their appropriate time of year. Right now I'm on the hunt for Maibocks, Kolsch and probably will pick up even some type of Czech Lager for the onset of spring and as a counterpoint to all the dark beers of winter. :)

10. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I am loving all this beer talk.

11. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
  12. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    THAT is impressive.

13. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    [image=http://c2cbeers.info/images/firestone/firestone_double_barrel_ale.jpg]

Firestone Double Barrel is my favorite microbrew. Heck, it's probably my favorite beer period. It's a British Pale Ale and while it's apparently available in Oregon and Nevada, I've only ever seen it on the Central Coast of California.

14. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    [image=http://www.thebrewsite.com/images/beers/lakefront-cream-city.jpg]
    Lakefront Brewery's Cream City Pale Ale

Number one choice...If I have that choice.

[image=http://neverthemachineforever.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Alpha-King.jpg]
    Three Floyds' Alpha King

Number two choice...far hoppier, but hey...Summer's on the way (I think).

[image=http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2010/08/pabst-blue-ribbon.jpg]
    PBR.

The old standby.

15. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    The color of that Lakefront is beautiful. I bet it tastes amazing. I will keep my eye open for it. I am going to try and do my review of that Smuttynose when I get home tonight. Keep the brews coming!

16. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I am behind on reviewing a few beers that I have tried. I have been working a crazy schedule and have had very little time to do it. I should get them up on Saturday though. How about anybody else? Try and new brews?

17. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Apparently the Obamas have made the first White House homebrew, made with honey and hops from the White House garden.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I picked up a variety pack by Dundee brewers. The stout's passable, although weirdly mellow for a stout. Bit closer to a few porters and traditional bocks I've had than actual stouts. Still need to try out the IPA, Light Bock, and... whatever kind of ale the ale is, but if the dark is any indication I'm looking at a solid but somewhat disappointing meh.

19. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    I'm actually surprised--I figured other presidents had homebrewed as well. I wonder if perhaps earlier ones did and it wasn't announced or recorded because homebrewing wasn't as popular and it wouldn't have been seen as noteworthy.

20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I would guess that it's not because it wasn't as popular, more likely that it was fairly commonplace. Remember, large mega-breweries didn't become common lace until after Prohibition, when only a handful of breweries were able to survive.

As for a contribution to the list of fine beers, Salzburg has two very good small scale breweries:

Augustiner -- not to be confused with the (excellent) Munich berewery of the same name. Makes a standard Märzen plus two seasonals: the Fastenbier and the Weihnachtsbock. The former is a stronger beer made specifificaly for lent (the brewery is still run by monks). Rather looking forward to Ash Wednesday! the brewery also has a great beer hall and garden.

Die Weisse , which specializes in wheat beer. Aside form the cool bottle, the beer really stands out, its a bit darker than most Bavarian style wheat beers.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That is awesome about the Obamas.

I'm currently trying the Vortex II brew from Pisgah Brewing Company in Black Mountain, NC. Much darker than I'm used to, heavy molasses flavor, heavy on the hops. I tried their pale ale a couple of weeks ago, it was excellent.

22. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Time to catch you up on some new beers I have had. Work has kept me steadily busy for the past week and a half. That also meant a couple of extra trips to the bar after work though. I will try not to ramble so that the post doesn't go on for days.

Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball Ale
    [image=http://beerme.com/graphics/brewery/2/2486/6824.jpg]

I thought this beer was a bit bitter for my taste. There were a lot of flavors going on all at once and it just seemed like a mess. It wasn't very balanced at all. Unlike most beers I get that I end up not liking this one did not get better as I kept drinking. There were mixed reviews with some of the people I was with. Some loved it and some thought it was horrible. If anybody else has had this one I would like to know what you thought. I give it a 3.

Brooklyn Weisse
    [image=http://www.realbeer.com/blog/images/20070718-hopfen.jpg]

After the Hairy Eyeball I wanted to get something a bit lighter. I opted for this Bavarian style wheat beer. It was pretty good. It was very light and crisp, especially compared to the ale. It had a nice even yeast taste which was followed by cloves, wheat, and maybe even a hint of banana. I would get this one again for sure. I recommend you try it if they have it wherever you are. Overall rating an 8.

Bonus Picture
    [image=http://www.davidcopperfields.com/mailer/extraimages/garrettbubble.gif]

Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale
    [image=http://clatl.com/imager/a-trusty-old-dog-smuttynose-old-brown-dog-ale/b/story/1455552/ffb7/old-brown-dog-ale-112x169.jpg]

This is a really good traditional tasting brown ale. I didn't think it was stellar or anything but it was really good and did not disappoint. Nice and simple and sometimes that is exactly what you want. A great selection to bring to a gathering as well, nice than your regular domestic but safe as well. A nice balance of hops, coffee notes and malt. I think the picture on the bottle fits it well. This beer is like your old reliable dog. Overall rating an 8.

Abita Amber Lager
    [image=http://beer-taster.com/wp-content/uploads/yapb_cache/abita_amber.amuc3sye2e8koww8ok8sc4oos.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg]

Nothing really special here. It was alright but not a standout. I got it while I was waiting for my family to get to the cajun restaurant we were eating at. To be honest it didn't taste much different than a Killians, though I like Killians better. Overall rating a 5.

I have Lagunitas Brown Sugga at home which I will try at some point this weekend. Today is the 10th day of a 10 day work week so a trip to the bar tonight after work may be in order. Cap off the week in proper fashion. My bar just got in some Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout that I really want to try.

23. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I've had a couple new beers this past week.

One was the Anderson Valley Black IPA. It wasn't bad or anything, but I wouldn't necessarily drink it again when I had other options. It wasn't particularly hoppy for an IPA.

The other was Raisin Apollo Double IPA, I think, it was pretty good. I'd drink it again.

Both were on tap, not bottles.

24. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    It's been a while since I have posted here and there have been quite a few new beers I have tried. I will try to get caught up this weekend. But I wanted to mention this beer because it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
    [image=http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/media/3900545571_f47bf2e7b2.jpg]

This beer is amazing. Has a very creamy and sweet aroma with the hazelnut hitting right at the end. It is not very sweet though there are a lot of sweet flavors. It is very balanced and it is very smooth. Dark in color.Lightly carbonated and creamy. Flavors of vanilla, honey and hazelnut. But again, it is not too sweet. I hope that some of you will not avoid it because you would think it is too sweet. Not the case, in my opinion at least. You still feel like you are drinking a dark beer. An ABV of 6.22. I highly recommend this beer and I am very fortunate that my liquor store keeps it in stock regularly. I give it an overall 9/10.

Being that yesterday was St. Patrick's Day I am sure some of you tried out some new beers during your celebration. Feel free to share your thoughts on them. Cheers.

25. Krusty_the_Clone

Jul 4, 2006
    I've had that. I think it was pretty good. Rogue makes some pretty good stuff.