main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I'm surprised to find that you can get Rogue beer outside of the west coast.

2. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout...this is a phenomenol brew. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

3. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    Yes Mort. Good to see you in here again. I reviewed that one a little while ago and gave it an almost perfect score. My store just started to carry it as well.

IJG, I even had some Rogue when I visiting Pitt a couple of weeks ago. They must be really getting big. And for good reason, they make fantastic brew. I have only had about 5 variates currently and the Hazelnut has been my fave.

4. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Today is the first day of American Craft Beer Week.

Be sure to visit your local brewery if you have any. Or purchase craft beers from your bar or beer retailer.

If you have anything exceptional that you want to share be sure to post about it. Or if you try one that was just awful come on here and warn us.

It's going to be a tasty week! Happy drinking.[face_peace]

5. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    This is one of the bigger microbreweries, along with Stone. I imagine you'd find Dogfish Head on the west coast, even though its roots are mid-atlantic.

I had the Cambridge Brewing Company Spring Training IPA last night. It was good, but not spectacular for me. It almost had some wheat beer elements, which was odd but not bad. It actually tasted more like a Pale Ale than an IPA.

Also, the Six Point Bengali Tiger IPA. Good IPA; nothing particularly spectacular about it but it hits all the right notes for an IPA. The bitter kick at the end makes it for me.

I also had something from Stone on Saturday that was good but I can't remember what it was.

6. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I am kicking off craft beer week with a sixer of Bells Oberon Ale. I will write a full review later but I am very happy with this beer. A very good summer ale. Refreshing.

7. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I had the Smuttynose Big A and the Sierra Nevada Summer Seasonal.

The Smuttynose was a fantastic double IPA. Bitter and dry, but not overwhelmingly bitter. It may be my favorite double IPA, better than Harpoon Leviathian for sure, and I think even better than the Dogfish Head 90 minute.

The Sierra Nevada Summerfest was a disappointment. Maybe its because I had it second, but it tasted bland with nothing distinguishing about it. Wouldn't bother having it again.

8. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Okay I have a lot to get caught up on since craft beer week. Let's get started.

Cigar City/Mikkeller Nielsbohrium
    [image=http://greatbrewers.com/sites/default/files/images/Cigar%20City%20Mikkeller%20Nielsbohrium.jpg]

Deep dark brown. Minimal light brown head. Medium texture with nice lacing. It coated the glass light brown like a syrup. Flavors of chocolate and raisins with a hops finish. A nice alcohol burn on the way down. Very nice beer. ABV 10% overall 9/10.

Cigar City Maduro Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale
    [image=http://dosbeerigos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cigar-city-oatmeal-raisin-cookie.png]

Dark brown with a medium head. Smells of raisin, caramel, malt and vanilla. A nice beer taste upfront with light hops that glides into a sweet vanilla at the end. It is like drinking two different drinks. This is a very enjoyable beer. ABV 5.5% Overall 9/10.

Cigar City Guava Grove
    [image=http://bonbeer.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/cigar-city-guava-grove.jpg]

Orangish red with small head. Aroma of acidic citrus and yeast. Very tart flavor with medium hops with orange and yeast. Very tart. Nice drinking for a hot day. ABV 8% Overall 7/10.

Cigar City Florida Cracker White Ale
    No Image

On cask at Redlight. Muddy yellow in color with medium head. Aroma of citrus and light hops. Tart in flavor with orange and light hops followed by yeast. The cask also gave it a bit of a woody flavor that was absent when I tried it on tap at Cigar City. ABV 5% Overall 7/10.

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
    [image=http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/dogfish-head-indian-brown-ale.jpg]

Pours dark brown with minimal head. Aromas of chocolate and raisins. A nice balance of hops and malts. Chocolate and raisins. This is a very enjoyable beer. ABV 7.2% Overall 8/10.

Magic Hat #9
    [image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_q6OatMvDRb4/TUtghEBryBI/AAAAAAAAADA/yPyzP5RIaVU/s1600/magic%2Bhat%2B9.jpg]

Had this beer while outside at a BBQ. That being said it is a pretty decent summer beer. Light gold color with light hops flavor. Notes of citrus and apricot. Nothing special, but you could do worse. ABV 4.6% Overall 5/10.

Terrapin Side Project Indiana Krunkles
    [image=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eJxQ1XUfQc0/TdsQQ6OWVWI/AAAAAAAAAZE/WhvW1lO87nI/s320/krunkles2.jpg]

I am not usually a fan of IPA?s but I love German Hefeweizens. So the combination of the two intrigued me. Pours light gold with a medium head. Aroma of hops and yeast. Strong hop flavors up front with a tangy grapefruit. Then it goes into a nice subtle wheat flavor. ABV 7.3% Overall 8/10.

Bells Oberon Ale
    [image=http://johnniepatterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bells-oberon.jpg]

Pours a nice light gold. Small head. Aromas of citrus fruits and wheat. A light hop flavor followed by citrus notes, orange mainly. Very refreshing. An excellent summertime beer. ABV 6% Overall 7/10.

Coney Island Luna Lager
    [image=http://www.2beerguys.com/images/forblog/smaltz_coney_island_luna_lager.jpg]

Gold color with a large head. Aroma of handsoap. A lot of carbonation and I didn?t really taste much in it. It was a fizzy mess, I couldn?t even finish the glass, which rarely happens. ABV 6% Overall 1/10.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock
    [image=http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/eisbock.jpg]

This one is a treat. Pleasant on every scale. Nice brown color with a medium head. Aroma of dark fruits, chocolate and malt. Flavor of cherries, prunes, chocolate, malt and caramels. Nice alcohol finish. This beer is a treat. ABV 12% Overall 9/10.

Allagash Tripel Reserve
    [image=http://www.corebrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/allagash-tripel2.jpg]

The highlight of craft beer week. My bar tapped a vintage 09 keg. It is no longer distributed in Florida so it was a real treat. Deep gold color with a small head. Aroma of tart fruits, apples, apricot. Very complex flavors of banana, wheat, apple, yeast and light hops. This was one of the more enjoyable beers I have had yet. ABV 9% Overall 10/10.

There are still m

9. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    This beer sounds so interesting! I want to try it.

10. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I had heard great things about it and it did not disappoint. Definitely one to seek out.:)

11. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Magic Hat #9 is fairly inoffensive. Their summer seasonal though is awful. Weird Beet flavors. and its pink.

I had the Bear Republic Apex last night. Its a double IPA. Pretty good. Right amount of bitterness, with a finish that wasn't super sweet like some D-IPAs get. Real good.

12. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah the Magic Hat#9 was alright. But if I am going to have a summer beer I am going to go with the Bell's Oberon, Terrapin Sun Ray, or an Anderson Valley Summer Solstice.

13. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
  14. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Bells Oberon is really good. Founders make some absolutely wonderful beer and barleywine. Luckily I live a block from a bar with 300 craft beers on tap. Lately I've been drinking Kona's Island Lager and Passion Fruit Wheat. Great beers to have on the beach with you.. and delicious flavor.

15. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    NYJ ever make it to that Fest??

Also, has anybody here had Bell's Consecrator Doppelbock? I have been eying it for awhile and want to try it. But it would set me back about $16 for a six pack. A bar not too far from my house is going to have it on tap Thursday. I am really hoping I can make it out there so I can try it. It sounds right up my alley. Anyway, just wanted to know if any of you have had it and what your thoughts were.

16. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I have seriously over 10 beers I need to post reviews for. Maybe if I get settled in early tonight I can get some done. Sorry for falling so far behind I know you all have been waiting on baited breath.

17. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I like the Consecrator Doppelbock. It's less sweet than you'd think. That said, Bell's hasn't given me a beer that I can truly love. Everyone seems to like Oberon, but I can't stand it. I guess it's the "filling" aspect of it that places it so far down on the list for me, but to each his own.

Today I'll be drinking an old familiar stand-by: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sierra Nevada is a good one.

I've been drinking Sam Adams Summer Ale this weekend myself.

James, which bar?

19. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Here is a list of some of the beers I have tried lately without full reviews.

DogFish Head Festina Peche
    Ommegang Witte
    Rogue McScotch Ale
    Rogue Hazelnut John Jon Whiskey
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale
    Cigar City Improvisation
    Evil Twin Yang Imperial Stout
    Cigar City Cuban Style Espresso
    Chimay Triple / Blanche (White) / Cinq Cents
    St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition
    Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale
    Bison Organic Double Chocolate Stout
    Terrapin Side Project Indiana Krunkles

That's all that is coming to mind at the moment.

20. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I am looking at a brew kit and plan to start with a hefeweizen.

21. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm gonna flip a coin when I get home from work tonight on whether to try Southern Tier Raspberry Wheat Ale or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

I don't know a lot about beer, and I am not a big drinker. I have two beers a week, at most, and that's only a recent development as I try to figure out my beer preferences. From the time I turned 21 until a couple months ago (I'm 23.5 now), I averaged probably less than 1 alcoholic drink per month. I have significantly increased my drinking, clearly, to ~8 drinks/month. lol

A friend told me about Craft-Your-Own-Six-Pack at one of our local grocery stores, so that's accounted for my increase in drinking as I can buy 6 different beers and try them out, figuring out what I like.

So far, I've determined that, like my dad, I enjoy imported Munich Helles Lagers. Of the 7 empty bottles I have on my counter at home (I keep the bottle of ones I like), 3 are Munich Helles Lagers (Spaten Premium, Hofbrau Original, and Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold). I have several more MHLs in my fridge right now (all different brands; trying to find the one I like the most). But I am also finding out I like so others.

I had Troeg's Brewing Company "Troegenator" Doublebock last month. It's the only doublebock I've tried, and I really liked it. The person who recommended it to me said, "I didn't think I'd like drinking such a dark beer in summer, but it is surprisingly refreshing." Definitely agree. Tasted like good wine, but without the dryness.

I also really liked Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. A few years ago, some friends told me it tasted like Fruity Pebbles. Well, it does. lol Definitely not something I'd drink a lot, but it would be a good change-of-pace beer.

I'm trying to run the table on Sam Adam's, simply because before I started buying the Craft-Your-Own-Six-Pack stuff, I tended to drink the seasonal variety of Sam Adam's at a local restaurant once a month. I had the Sam Adam's Blackberry Witbier last week and it was very good. Loved the aroma and taste.

I cant wait for Wegman's (the aforementioned grocery store) to change out their beer selection for fall/October beers. I have been told repeatedly that fall is the best beer time of the year, and that our area (the Midatlantic, specifically New York and Pennsylvania and Ohio) have excellent, excellent microbreweries. I can't wait to try some craft beer fall beers, in addition to Oktoberfest imports (I have a Spaten Oktoberfest in my fridge from Wegman's, but I probably won't have it for another week).

22. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I have a friend in Pitt who is mailing me three bottles of Rochefort Trappistes. The 6,8 and 10. I can't wait. Two of them have perfect scores on ratebeer.com. I will deff post a review and some pics once I have had them. Has anybody else had them before?

Riven_JTAC:

The Spaten Oktoberfest is really good IMO. It will catch you off guard and give you a decent buzz too. I have also had the Sam Adams Blackberry, it was pretty good, not too sweet and the aroma is very pleasant. Also, I have had a few Hofbraue on tap. I enjoy them, I really enjoy the Maibock, it has a nice honey flavor.

23. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
    Rochefort is awesome. My favorite trappist ale that I've tried.

24. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    If you can get the cheese to go with it as well, it matches quite well. Beer & Cheese, one of the better combinations in life.

25. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I actually have a Hofbrau Maibock in my fridge, too. lol

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to trying some of the non-Munich Helles Lagers from those breweries. I liked them across the board for that type of beer. Now to see what I like when I branch out.