main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    I am just glad to see some activity in the beer thread. It was a long lull.

2. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Unfortunately no.

The Lienenkugel Sunset Wheat, that beer is meh for me. I loved it like 5 years ago, but as people said, it tastes like Fruity Pebbles and that just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I had Stone's Double Bastard a couple nights ago. =P~ So good. May be my favorite beer.

3. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    The Pizza Peel and Tap House:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=17011355827575949864&q=the+pizza+peel+and+tap&hl=en&ved=0CB0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=qU0aTuqBFqmCygS13czQDQ&sig2=oekN36aghSjYY2pUg8b3Mw

4. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Soon I will be attempting my first home brew. I'm going to make a Hefeweizen.

Anybody know how long to let it sit in the carboy before bottling? And how long once bottled before consumption?

5. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I took a trip to Tampa to visit Cigar City Brewery today. Also made a stop to Total Wine for a few more items. This was the haul.

[image=http://i.imgur.com/7IyvZ.jpg]

A gallon growler of Cigar City Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, two four packs of CC Cuban Style Espresso,three bottle of CC Jose Marti Porter in French White Oak (Limited Release),Chimay 3 pack, St. Bernardus Tripel, Avery Quadruppel, and a Rouge Double Dead Guy Ale 2009.

6. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    I had the Chimay White ale last week. It was awesome. I love wheat beer.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I just know that gallon growler of Cigar City Oatmeal Raisin Cookie would disappoint me for not tasting enough like cookies.

8. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    You'd be surprised Frieda. It really does have strong cinnamon and vanilla flavors up front. Very pleasant.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Mmmmm. Think I might have to go looking for it then. :)

10. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Finally had the Southern Tier Brewery - Raspberry Wheat Ale the other night. Rather good. Like the Sam Adam's - Blackberry Witbier, it had a distinctive berry scene upon opening the bottle. I had half from the bottle and half from a glass to see if there was a difference in flavor. From the glass, the beer was slightly more mellow, but unlike the Sam Adam's - Blackberry Witbier, the scent didn't dampen. Out of the bottle, the beer tasted fine, but had a bit more of a bitter bite to it than I expected. It was not bad, like very hoppy beers I've had recently (namely Victory Brewing - Hop Wallop).

Tomorrow night... Franziskaner - Hefe-Weissbier

11. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I know it's not a craft beer/microbrew, but since I am unaware of another beer thread, I'll post this here:

Having the Franziskaner - Hefe-Weissbier right now (see pictures at bottom of post; as links). Definitely another winner. This would make a good beer for a charcoal cookout like my family has during the summer (gas is for wussies; charcoal is the only way to go). I can't place my finger on it, but this tastes a lot like it was beer that was inside our grill during cooking. It doesn't have a harsh bite, and the flavors really remind me of our grill. So, another German beer wins over my taste-buds. That makes 10 bottles on my shelf out of 18 bottles consumed from Wegman's Craft-Your-Own Six pack.

The 10 winners so far are:

(In a rough order of preference, from favorite to least-favorite... but still good enough to make the grade)

1. Hofbrau Original
    2. Sam Adam's Blackberry Witbier
    3. Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier
    4. Spaten Oktoberfest
    5. Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
    6. Troeg's Troegenator
    7. Spaten Premium
    8. Southern Tier Raspberry Wheat Ale
    9. Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold
    10. St. Pauli Girl Lager

Next up will be Pennsylvania Brewing Company - Penn Pilsner.

So, despite 10 different varieties on there, the types of beer are fewer. If I have these right, that's three Munich Helles Lagers, two Witbiers, an American Pale Wheat Ale, a double-bock, a German pilsner, a Hefeweizen, and a traditional Oktoberfest.

The Spaten Oktoberfest from last week
    The Franziskaner

12. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    It's brew day! So far so good...

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't think anyone has mentioned Maredsous in here yet... excellent beers. I think what their website calls Brune used to be called Dubbel.

Edit: looks like my link may not be to the English page of the site, but you can change the language up in the corner.

Also, for an independent American brewery, everyone knows Shiner Bock... but all of Shiner's beers are great.

14. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    It's Belgian Independence Day, look at the lineup I get to choose from tonight! I can't wait!

Ommegang Belgian Independence Day Saison
    Ommegang Witte (Swamp Head Cotton Mouth on deck)
    Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van de Keizar Blauw
    Gouden Carolus Christmas 2009
    Dupont Avec Le Von Boux 2009
    Dentergems Wit
    Chimay White
    La Rulles Grand 10
    St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

All on tap.

15. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Here's a link to the English page, complete with links on that page that now work (don't know what the deal was before)... http://www.maredsousbieres.be/

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    If you're ever in Atlanta, you need to check out this place.

18. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Had the Pennsylvania Brewing Company - Penn Pilsner tonight. It was fairly smooth. Definitely one of the better pilsners I've had.

19. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I prefer Penn Dark, but the Pilsner is good too. I need to stop at that brewery after work somebody...it's only a few minutes out of my way.

20. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
    Tuesday I drank a Jefferson stout and a Rogue Imperial Russian stout. Both were ok, a little too sweet for me.

21. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Pittsburgh-er?

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep. I think that I'm going to go to Rivertowne in the North Shore and have one of their brews tonight before going to the Pirates game.

23. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Although even most Belgians are apparently unaware of this fact, 21st of July is not our 'independence day' (That would probably be the 4th of October). It is Belgium's national 'national celebration' day, and thus it fulfills a similar function to the 4th in the USA and the 14th in France, for example, but it in fact refers to the day that King Leopold I of Belgium took his constitutional oath before Parliament in 1831, nearly a year after the revolution (he had been declared 'King' on the 4th of June.

//historical facts.

[image=http://blogimages.seniorennet.be/marcel2006/695028-6b234410501e4ff59b513cf3fb8cf8de.jpg]

24. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Good stuff. PNC Park is awesome. Only been there once, but it was good times. I need to try Iron City sometime. That's a Pittsburgh brew, right?

I'm in State College.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I love PNC Park. It's gorgeous.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time trying an Iron City. There's no taste to it, at least in my opinion. I'm sure that plenty of Pittsburghers would disagree, though. :p