main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Shared a bottle of W00tstout with my cousin the other night. Also allowed him to share in the second, and last, bottle of Augustiner Weissbier that I personally imported from Germany. Best Hef in the world.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  2. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] Finally released in Virginia. I’ve been waiting years for my this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't know if my palate is evolving or my taste buds changing or if i just burned myself out, but i've been losing my taste for ipa's. so many of them seem to have this baby aspirin taste. some of them that i use to tolerate no problem (such as the lagunitas ipa) are now downright disgusting. anyway it's led me to branch out and try a variety of different beers, but i now share the frustrations of others that the market is so saturated with ipa's. the racer 5 ipa by bear republic however is still a solid go-to.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  4. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    I’m the same way. I go out of my way to find exotic IPAs. For me I prefer West Coast or New England IPAs . Jai Alai by cigar city is delicious if you haven’t tried it. Ballast Point makes a Watermelon Durado ipa that’s delicious. Clown Shoes makes a triple IPA called The Train I Ride. Those are my go to IPAs . Then again I’m sure I’ll burn myself out on those. Right now I’m stuck on barrel aged stouts and a few barrel aged IPAs for the past year or 2.

DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  5. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I generally try not to "yuck someone's yum" but holy **** Watermelon Dorado is the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life. I hate it. HATE IT. Tastes like the liquid amoxicillin I took for ear infections when I was a kid. WOOF.

Sorry, very strong feelings about that one. But I'm with you @tom. I still drink a decent amount of IPAs but I find myself craving more crisp pilsners/lagers, sours, stouts, pales...The IPAs just feel like they're coating my tongue anymore and some have gotten so hazy that I feel like you have to chew them. I'm going to a biergarden for a friend's birthday tomorrow and am actually looking forward to having some german pilsners.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a bad experience with Watermelon Dorado a few years ago. It turned me off from IPAs pretty much for good. One of my favorite local breweries released a double IPA called Hop Cakes made from maple syrup, and it was recommended to me as an IPA for people who don’t like IPAs, but I can’t do it.

I like stouts and porters in cold weather, pilsners/blonde ales/pale ales in warm weather, and brown ales and sours pretty much any time.

@AplagueOnTheWise , I was in Williamsburg this past week and had a sour and a pale ale from Alewerks.

Came home today and another favorite local brewery released this one:

[​IMG]

My first experience with a gose beer, and as I really like sours, it’s enjoyable.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nothing makes me happier than to hear that people are slowing getting over IPAs. It's so overblown and overdone. I know I am at Ground Zero in Portland for the "all of the hops in my beer" trend, but man I am sick of it.

8. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I drank a Rogue but it was after I drank other stuff. So I’m not going to judge it just yet. The Sweet Water one looks tasty though .

Healer_Leona and xblackout like this.
  9. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    I don't expect much from Sweetwater, but it sounds good. You'll have to report back!

I have a thing for beer (ok or any food item really) with tea in it because I like tea and it intrigues me. So I ordered a slim keg and a case of bottles of Bruery's Girl Grey (brewed in collaboration with Brooke Williamson from Top Chef!) for the bar and I am so glad I did! It drinks like a sweet, milky cup of Earl Grey tea with notes of marzipan. So enjoyable and so well done. I'm the first to say no thanks to a belgian ale but this one blew me away. Highly recommend giving it a try if you find it in either format. And speaking of The Bruery, they're also offering some of their beers in 12.7 oz bottles now as opposed to solely 25.4 oz bottles -- makes them a little more approachable and I think it was a smart move on their part.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  10. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] oh yes . I thoroughly enjoyed this little guy.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I just had that on tap in Portland!

12. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Some mighty tasty **** right there!

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah it was tasty!

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Somebody loves me and bought me a beer to prove it

[​IMG]

Imperial Stout
    Bourbon barrel aged
    Eight not themed label
    Best aroma I've ever had from a beer
    Incredibly smooth
    Wonderful flavor

15. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    Sounds delish!

Finback, my favorite NYC brewery, recently released a strawberry hefeweizen called Summer Somewhere. They previously made the only Wit I ever found myself wanting to drink (had subtle hints of chamomile, szechuan peppercorns, and ginger) and I believe this replaced it. I was unsure of it at first because I generally find hefes to be too sweet but...wow. I'm in love with this beer. It has this true, authentic, slightly green strawberry flavor and the beer is only lightly sweet, a little bready. It's just killed. So refreshing, so balanced, perfect for spring. I never thought I'd fall in love with a hefeweizen.

DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah that looks great, Inty!

17. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This little bad boy packs a punch. But this baby is hoppy as hell and very tangerine(y). At 11% alc it’ll give you a nice buzz.

[​IMG]
    Oh man this Barrel age is strong in flavor and alc. recommend this to anyone who loves a strong barrel and alcohol flavor .

Healer_Leona , tom and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Not sure how familiar anyone here is with Wicked Weed, since I don't think it gets a lot of distribution outside of NC. I'm not a big hop head but I have developed a fondness for the west coast style, citrusy IPA's and they make my favorite.

[​IMG]

Strong citrus notes without the bitterness that has always turned me off to hop forward brews. Alas I haven't been able to get my hands on any around here for quite some time now. But Lagunitas has put out a limited release that comes mighty close to the same flavor, just a little distinct hop note on the finish that I can roll with for the goodness that precedes it. I guess it comes out annually but this is my first time seeing it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    xblackout likes this.
  19. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    Citrusinensis is maybe my favorite Lagunitas beer, it's so refreshing! And Wicked Weed is silly good but I haven't tried that particular one. I've been lucky enough to sample a handful of their beers because one of my customers has a son who lives in Asheville and is close with the brewers at WW, so Marty gets all sorts of goodies to bring back and share.

20. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Well they were bought out by InBev last year so their distribution will probably increase. Unfortunately I started noticing that their selection, which used to rotate a lot, had stagnated and I was only seeing the same things from them over and over again for months (I actually noticed that before I found out they had been sold).

21. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    I visit family in Brevard, right outside of Asheville, quite often. And my there’s an Oscar Blues brewery there. So damn lucky. But I wish I could get into sours. To me sours taste like the excess **** at the bottom of the vats that they throw away after they clean them and get ready for the new brew. Simply put, disgusting. It’s like breweries just bottled all he left over crap from the IPAs and slapped a label on it and charge 10 for a single haha.

22. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    Part of the deal required the WW guys to stop creating new recipes for a certain number of years. I don't remember the exact terms of it but it basically killed their Funkatorium program and stagnated new beer production.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    trying the citrusinensis because of this thread. really good, definitely better than most lagunitas beers i've had.

AplagueOnTheWise and xblackout like this.
  24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean. I would try it, but it would break my rule about macrobreweries acquiring microbreweries. For both Lagunitas and Wicked.

25. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    I say break your rule. Life is too short to miss out on trying a beer because of some "rules" :p

Random side note: my favorite NYC brewery celebrated their 4th anniversary last Saturday. We had a new keg from them come in the Thursday prior and they gave my co-buyer and me a 4 pack of their Four Year triple IPA! Such a nice, unexpected little treat for us. Drinks way too smooth and easy for an 11%er. Visited the brewery on Sunday with some friends and left with a few other cans and a beautiful new beer glass...but somehow controlled myself enough to not buy a bottle of their barrel aged coconut imperial stout. Suffering from some minor regret now because that stout is just so good.