main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Inty I love you, but don't be silly. Yes there are some acquisitions that are gutted and go downhill (Goose Island), but there are a lot of them that simply carry on their same team of people making beer, just with better distribution and marketing (10 Barrel, Elysian, etc).

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My objection to macro-beer-owned microbreweries has much more to do with what happens upstream than what happens to the beer itself. I have no doubt 10 Barrel and Breckenridge still make fantastic beer. But, their corporate owners use their leverage to tighten supply chain to new/upcoming microbreweries and cut out distribution channels for microbreweries, and in fact use this as a negotiation tactic to try to acquire more microbreweries.

Moreover, I want my beer dollar to support local initiatives. I don't want my money going back to AnBev or Miller-Coors or Heinekin. I want it being reinvested by the local guys and gals making my suds so that they can keep making that beer and doing other things locally. Spending locally is a big thing for me. Not just for beer, either.

tom, AplagueOnTheWise and xblackout like this.
  3. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Percisely! My exact beliefs in local brews and local everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthIntegral likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It's hot and humid here and just opened one of the most refreshing beers I've had.

Shorts Brewing - Melt My Brain - a golden ale with coriander, juniper berries, limes and blended with Short’s made tonic water.

@Darth Punk - what was this porter you spoke of in other thread?

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Wow, yours sounds tasty. Coriander is an interesting note.

Yeah so it’s Father’s Day here in the uk today, and this was their gift. It’s from a chain of chocolate shops called Hotel Chocolat. T’was surprisingly good,

http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/chocolate-beer.html

6. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    That sounds so refreshing Frieda! Tried to combat the heat last night with a beer a friend gifted to me -- Little Umbrellas from Four Quarters Brewing. An easy-going 3.5% pineapple and toasted coconut sour, so tasty!

Healer_Leona and tom like this.
  7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I had a nice Weissbier that is a collab between Weihenstephaner and New Belgium. Was very good!

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Here’s one of my favorite refreshing summer sours:

[​IMG]

9. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] the Evil Twin Biscotti was tasty. A little to sweet for me but the chili kind of balances it out. I’d buy it again. And now for the disappointing Double Trouble. This beer is just , there. Has no characteristics or disgusting flavors . Just a little hoppy and blah. Oh well.... Founders usually has quality beers anyways.

10. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Was it the Weihenstephaner/Sierra Nevada collab? Braupakt? We had that in store for a while and I kept thinking of trying it but never dove in.

I just had a Blue Point Mad Sea'd -- a salted watermelon lager. Not super salty, not super fruity. Light and refreshing with a hint of fruit flavor. The salt comes through in more of a mineral presence and it works so well. Perfect for a super hot and humid and generally unpleasant day. Would definitely drink it again.

tom likes this.
  11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah it was Braupakt. Very good.

12. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] picked this fella up today. Probably won’t drink it until the fall/winter. Lickinghole creek doesn’t usually disappoint so I’m sure this will be a bouquet of unique flavors. But damn it’s 13.5% abv! I will be drinking my IPA Of choice today and tomorrow, Clown Shoes The Train I Ride. It’s a phenomenal triple ipa. I know most just think most IPAs are just hoppy and cloudy , but this one is very tasty and distinguished . Go grab one!

Healer_Leona and tom like this.
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So I just opened up my beer of the month box, and it had an Imperial Peanut Butter Hefeweizen. I'm a little excited, and know what I'm drinking tomorrow morning

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Update. Did not disappoint. I'm not usually a big hef fan, but this one might change my mind. So smooth, and the peanut butter (and banana) come through so clearly. It's Fool's Gold by Rusty Rail Brewing

xblackout and AplagueOnTheWise like this.
  15. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Just finished a Barrel Runner from Founders . It you love Rum.... drink this. This beer doesn’t shy away from the Rum flavor whatsoever. Founders always puts in work.

xblackout and DarthIntegral like this.
  16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Went out drinking beers in Portland with @imperial_dork Sunday and Monday. We started at Wayfinder, very good authentic Berlin-style Berliner Weiße including the raspberry shot. Monday we went to Ecliptic, where I had a solid Black Current Tripel. We finished at Bailey's Taproom, before they had to head back to Seattle. I had Zitrus Weizen from Barley Brown's and Fruitlands: Rosé from Modern Times. Both were good, the Modern Times was better.

17. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] I’m about to crack open this cold one right here. The last beer I had with dates incorporated into the ale was amazing. I hope this one is also. But dang—- it’s 14.5% abv!!

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I picked up a blood orange IPA from Sugar Creek Brewing after a bike ride earlier. I’m particular about IPAs but this one was fantastic.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Avery is amazing. That anniversary ale sounds off the hook. How was it??

20. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    It’s a good beer. You taste a little of everything. The Belgium flavor is there, the oak, the date.... it hides the alcohol pretty well.it pours dark with a lot of head like it was a stout. It is a heavy beer though but I recommend this. Plus it’s only $8 for a 20oz. I’ll for sure pick another one up.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    WookatMe likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Saw Ballast Point's Aloha Sculpin for the first time today and decided to give it a whirl.

I'm smitten.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Among the new treasures I unwrapped today and put in the fridge ...

Chocolate Oatmeal Porter by Blue Pants Brewery (Madison, Alabama)
    Granola Brown Ale by Black Hog Brewing (Oxford, Connecticut)
    Pancho Verde Green Chile Cerveza by Sierra Blanca Brewing (Moriarty, New Mexico)
    Loch Down Scotch Ale by Arcadia Brewing (Battle Creek, Michigan)
    Sandstorm Belgium Tripel by 3rd Wave Brewing (Delmar, Delaware)

Today just might be a very good, very tasty day

Healer_Leona and xblackout like this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tried three of them so far

The granola Brown Ale we tremendous. Not at the peak level of some of the best betbe I've had, but not far off either. Fairly unique and doesn't have an alcoholic taste to it.

The cerveza was great. I'm not sure I've had that style previously, but I'll be seeking it out in the future. Drinking it made me want tacos.

The Tripel I'm currently sipping on. It's good for beer, but not great compared to other triples I've had. Maybe a tough too sweet .

Had a friend over who tried the chocolate oatmeal Porter, he gave it incredibly high reviews. That and the Scotch Ale are next on my list

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  24. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] so dang great.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I kind of feel compelled to find a beer from Evil Twin Brewing ...

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.