main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    It's been pretty humid in State College the last few weeks, and today was no different, so I decided to have a "summer" beer tonight.

Had the Dundee - Kolsch-Style Ale (see link at left for Beer Advocate profile). Pretty good. It's a keeper. Definitely see why it is considered a summer beer. It was very crisp and refreshing. For whatever reason, when I saw the Sam Adam's Summer Variety Pack (which I never ended up getting) had this beer called "Kolsch," I was intrigued. It reminded me, of all things, of a custom map for Day of Defeat: Source of the same name and I wanted to try it. I'm glad I was able to find a Kolsch-style at Wegman's.

2. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    I was shocked to get my hands on a pumpkin beer this early. But I lucked out and found some Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It was very very good. I am not sure which I like better, that or the Shipyard Pugsly Smashed Pumpkin. But the Weyerbacher had really good pumpkin flavor and the spices were secondary, which is a nice change. Also I believe it was a 9% abv (?).

Last night I tried a bottle of Cigar City Bolita Double Nut Brown Ale. It was very similar to the Maduro in flavor but a bit darker and at 9% abv it had a bit more of an alchohol taste. but a very good brown ale if that is your thing. I would recommend.

3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I love Belgian beer. Blue Moon is soooooooooooooo amazing.

tee hee. The bait has been planted.

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Isn't Blue Moon just a Belgian inspired beer brewed at the Coors Brewery?

5. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Bait?

6. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I think he is trying to get somebody to rant about how Blue Moon isn't Belgian beer, and it probably would have worked had he not tipped us off [face_laugh]

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I picked up some Great Lakes Edmund Fitgeralds. It's very good - a bit smoky and dark, but very tasty.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I miss Great Lakes. Can't get that, or Yuengling, out here.

Not that I can really complain, with so many good brews available out here.

I'm currently nursing a six-pack of Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Oh Yuengling how I miss you so, my favorite chilling beer. I had the Troegenator tonight for the first time. It was really tasty. So much that I had 5 :D I'm such a light weight. I actually feel really buzzed right now.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    My dad lives and dies with Yuengling. I like it, too, but not as much as him.

Great Lakes is also easily my favorite thing from Cleveland. :p

11. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Well... isn't that a... uh... morbid name for a beer. Yikes.

Might have to try it. ;)

Yuengling is my favorite beer that I'd buy in a large case for a party or something (not that I drink that much). Definitely a Pennsylvania favorite.

Also, glad you liked the Troegenator. I had that a couple months ago. Pretty good.

12. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I haven't seen the Troegenator down here in Orlando. But I have a beer friend in Pittsburgh that is going to be sending me a few brews and swag, she works at a beer bar, and I will see if I can get her to send me some of that as well. Sounds great.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000

It is a bit morbid, especially because it sank in the Great Lakes, but I still love the beer.

14. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    You should try to bag some Founders Breakfast Stout and/or Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Here's a list of some brews I've had recently:

Abita Turbodog
    Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
    Smuttynose Big A IPA
    Smuttynose Baltic Porter
    Smuttynose Maibock
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
    Sierra Nevada Summer Fest
    Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel Péché Mortel
    Mayflower Porter
    Narragansett Summer Ale
    Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale
    Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin
    Harpoon UFO
    Cisco Whale?s Tail Pale Ale
    Just Beer Summer Ale
    Just Beer Golden Flounder
    Berkshire Brewing Co. Coffeehouse Porter
    Berkshire Brewing Co. Czech Pilsner
    Victory Summer Love Ale
    Victory Headwaters Pale Ale
    Victory Lager

Most were pretty good, with Péché Mortel being a real standout.

15. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I was just coming here to post about this beer [face_laugh] This is my go-to beer, possibly my favorite out of all that I've tried. I love the slight chocolate & coffee notes [& I'm a bit of a nerd & did research on the Edmund Fitzgerald years ago & became absolutely fascinated with the shipwreck :p]. I brought my own 6 pack to my sister's grad party & had to fight off a few relatives, haha.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_laugh] You have good tastes, then.

Speaking of the wreck, I've got that song stuck in my head now. :oops:

17. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    It's a good song!

18. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I mayyyy make a point to listen to the song a few times each year on the anniversary of the wreck :-B

19. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Sometimes I forget, but I shouldn't. It's my birthday, after all. [face_worried]

20. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Had 3 last night.

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - Not your typical stout, I thought it tasted a but medicinal and a huge alcohol burn, later I found out it is an 18% abv, so that explains it.

Ommegange Limited Edition Aphrodite - Really tart and refreshing. Red belgian style with raspberry and pear. I didn't really taste the pear but the raspberry after taste was awesome. One of the best beers I have ever had.

Tripel Karmeliet - Wonderful floral aroma. Nice sweet taste with hints of citrus and spices, if I had one complaint there was a little too much carbonation, but still a great beer.

21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Yup. And I like it.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like it too, but I am annoyed by the way they effectively attempt to hide their true background and status as a brewer. Wikipedia sums it up well with this: "Coors does not actively advertise the fact that the brew is owned by Coors on the belief that being associated with a major national brewery would diminish its credibility among aficionados. Blue Moon is instead branded as being brewed by the 'Blue Moon Brewing Company'." Pretty funny... the Blue Moon Brewing Company, Golden, Colorado.

23. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I had Southern Teir Creme Brulee Imperial Stout last night. Strong burnt caramel aroma and very sweet. A nice dessert beer but one is enough for sure.

24. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Bottled a batch of American wheat ale yesterday. In about 6 weeks I can taste it.

25. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Man I wish I could try some.