The Official Dark Nest I: The Joiner King Discussion Thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Since spoilers are allowed, here is an interesting tidbit from Tailone, aka Troy Denning, directly from his discussion thread here on there boards.

This was his response to my question about whether Admiral Kre'fey was in the book and if he was still the Supreme Commander of the Galactic Alliance Defense Forces:

http://boards.theforce.net/Authors_&_Artists/b10347/5816786/p15/

Sorry, there's a new Bothan in town. Shortly after the war, Kre'fey was removed from the Supreme Commander position due to certain Bothans' refusal to give up the ar'Krai. Sien Sovv is back at the top.

So, our old pal Admiral Sien Sovv is back in command of the military. Should be interesting to see if there is much detail in the book as to why Kre'fey was removed. I for one enjoyed Sovv's character. He was not the best Supreme Commander (Try being the guy who has to follow Ackbar), but he was a good character and one who I felt quite sympathetic for after reading WJW's Destiny's Way.

So, any thoughts?

--Adm. Nick
  2. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I wonder what the "new bothan's" role is gonna be. [face_thinking]

ZOMBIE FEY'LYA.
  3. quad_gun_jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    I used to like Kre'fey back in Dark Tide. He was sought of his own commander but also took orders from above. But towards the end of the NJO, he only had one tactic. FIRE! He just went nuts. I hope this new bothan is good. Maybe whatsername is back, Gavin's bothan.

Edit: Asyr I think it was
  4. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Well, I am happy that Sien Sovv is back in command, cause I feared that Kre'fey would prove to be a dangerous person to lead the GA forces in the long run. This move, along with the hints that the Galactic Alliance is going to appear fairly stable, makes me VERY happy.

Hopefully this book will shut up those who love to theorize that the Galactic Alliance and Cal Omas are just the next Palpatine and Empire. I have a feeling that Denning will show us how the Alliance is actually the going to become that galactic government that finally can lead the galaxy into a new era of peace and prosperity.

--Adm. Nick
  5. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm a big fan of Kre'fey. Only book that made him seem a little dangerous was DW.

Smells to me like Troy wanted Sovv back in command. Whatever, I like Sovv too, but I like Kre'fey better.

Hope he's still in the novels.
  6. quad_gun_jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    Its a bit weird because the events of Try's previous book caused Sovv to "fall from Grace"
  7. killfire Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a feeling that DN won't have a happy ending - like the PT.
  8. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    it had better have a happy ending, because if not, im gonna end up singing avril lavigne's song that goes "so much for my happy ending"
  9. Pelranius Force Ghost

star 5
    I hope Sovv has learned from Coruscant not to let those politicos interfere with military operations.
  10. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm looking foreward to this book. I think i might go back and reread the last njo book, to help me get ready for it.
  11. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    You know, Sovv is likable because of his flaws, IMO.

For starters, you have to feel bad for a guy who is slated to be the second Supreme Commander in New Republic history. The guy is following Admiral Ackbar, who leaves some pretty big shoes to fill. Regardless of if you think Ackbar is the best or not, no one will deny that he is a tough act to follow.

In Destiny's Way Walter Jon Williams makes it clear that Sovv was selected to be Supreme Commander because of his organizational skills and his ability to keep the Defense Force well maintained for the coming "peace" that followed the peace with the Remnant. To Sovv's credit, he does seem to do a good job keeping the fleet well stocked. In the NJO we see a large number of new warships in service, including new, more powerful classes like the Bothan Assault Cruiser, Mediaor-class battlecruiser, and Viscount-class Star Defender.

Sovv's problems in having to lead a galactic war was compounded by having Borsk Fey'lya as the Chief of State. Borsk has had a long history of getting his paws into military affairs, such as his foolish actions at the battle of the Katana Fleet and his actions to get Ackbar removed from command during the Thrawn Crisis. Poor Sovv had to command a Defense Force that was constantly getting mixed signals from the government.

In all, Sovv seems like a good choice to lead the new Galactic Alliance Defense Force in the post-NJO era. It is a time in which the galaxy itself is rebuilding and reorganizing. A able administrator like Sovv will probably be suited to a task like this.

Anyways, thats just my two cents. :)

--Adm. Nick
  12. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope that series starts to show more jedi action, with Luke being heavily involved, more ground and fleet action with laser color discriptions is: bright blue laser fire, brillant red bolts and stuff like that.
  13. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
    I have faith in Troy's portryal of Luke.
  14. solokid2 Jedi Knight

star 1

Sien Sovv has been succeeded by Traest Kre'fey as Admiral
    Sovv will not return.
    you find in the last few chapters of The Unifying Force, by James Luceno.
  15. solokid2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    does anyone think that both ex-Senator Pwoe and General Tigran Jamiro will both come back in dark nest books?
  16. solokid2 Jedi Knight

star 1
  17. Grutchin Jedi Knight

Does it strike anyone else as strange that someones title in the dramatis personae is "mastermind" ?
  18. PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Tigan Jamiro was made into a General?

When and where?

He was just some random guy back at Hoth, and the only reason I ever even heard of him was because of Decipher's CCG.
  19. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We usually put the threads up about a month ahead of time, to cover advanced copies being obtained and such.

And what does that do to the spoiler policy. Last I knew, the policy is in effect for a month. If such threads are put up a month ahead of the mass market release in order to cover advanced copies, then it would seem that the policy only becomes for those who recieved an advanced copy. Then once the book hits mass market those who got an advanced copy are free to discuss the book outside of a spoiler thread. It would seem to make the policy pointless.
  20. neo-dragon Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm no expert on the rules around here, but I'd assume that the spoiler policy is in effect for a month after the official release date, regardless of when the first advance copy is obtained, or the first spoiler thread is made. It just makes sense, is all.
  21. Wes Jedi Knight

star 3
    solokid2

You are right with Sovv stepping down from the SC position in Unifying Force but since Dark Nest is a newer book set after that novel it can bring the character back if the author so wishes. The author has even given us a reason why Sovv is back which makes it fine by me.

PadmeA_Panties

As for that General I think he was in Ylesia...yep he was. That is the only place I remember him from.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    yeah, the spoiler policy is 1 month after release date and is independent of thread posting.
  23. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I'm not selling/promoting anything. Has anyone tested this? It says Joiner King ships in 1-3 days... :confused:
  24. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    well, I am guessing that's a mistake on that site's part. I was at walmart.com the other day and looked at their status for HP#6 and it said July 6.........I knew that was a mistake. (And they corrected it - I just checked)

Its probably just a typo. They don't always have accurate info on overstock.com

25. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    ...or anywhere, for that matter. I remember some infamous Amazon.com mistakes. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.