The Official Dark Nest I: The Joiner King Discussion Thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kudzu Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *shrugs* It's called attention to detail. Sometimes it resembles obsessive-compulsive disorder :p
  2. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know.

I just think if I were a victim of the Vong, And someone like Tahiri the mutant, chimes in and says, "The people who slayed your family don't like the term "Vong", it's considered an insult." I would gouge her eyes out and shove them down her throat, screeching VONG!!

They have no right to instruct their victims to address them with respect. They should get a blaster bolt to the head for it.
  3. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, i'm guilty of this also. Honestly do not recall this bit at all..
  4. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    You mean, uh, yourself?8-}
  5. -myndonos- Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have to agree with T_F.

I though it was pretty lame/stupid/f'd up that leia scolded that anakin look alike (tarc?)for calling the vong "scarheads" :rolleyes:

"its not nice"

not nice? not nice?!

them vong killed your son and is in the process of wiping out your ****** galaxy and its "not nice" to call them scarheads?

WTH
  6. Kudzu Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, that line made me want to give Leia a good swift kick in the pants. Hello - they're evil! They killed your kid, your pet walking carpet, and three of your bodyguards and abducted another of your kids! They want you all dead!
  7. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And scarheads doesn't sound that derogatory, either. Sounds rather like skinheads...

"OMG, you called that Neo-Nazi a skinhead?!? Shame on you!" [face_shame_on_you]

But I guess that its still a racist term. I don't think that many people today would accept it if someone went around calling Arabs "sheetheads."
  8. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    But I guess that its still a racist term. I don't think that many people today would accept it if someone went around calling Arabs "sheetheads."

No, many people use far more derogatory names for them.

But the YV name thing. One would think that there would be some common derogatory name for them for purely propaganda purposes on the NR side. Some name like the "Huns" for Germans in the WWI and WWII. Short and nasty.

Leia is the very image of a nice and good person in SW and sometimes the authors take that too far.
  9. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Any chance of a Kanos vs Katarn in Swarm War? [face_whistling]
  10. Kudzu Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Now that would be interesting.
  11. Fett-One Force Ghost

I hope you don't mind my asking but who is Kanos?
  12. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The main character in the Crimson Empire comic book series.
  13. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    i believe there's also a fan-based theory that he's a clone of Katarn, IIRC.
  14. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, I thought it was rather interesting in that the N.R. troops frequently referred to the YVs as "Scarheads" is paralelled by contemporary American and British troops calling insurgents "Ragheads".
  15. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
    So, to point more attention at the book under discussion:

I am now around page 300. Still documenting the thoughts as I go along rather than wait for the end.

1) Between Aayla getting the coup de grace and Alema getting Gitmo-ized, I can only ask, what do the creative minds of Star Wars have against the bloobies?

2) Jacen is really the Obi-Wan of this generation because he uses the Force for understanding rather than brute power.

2.5) And also re: Tenel Ka, amputee or not, I'm sure Obi-Wan would hit it, too.

3) Strange how so much of Raynar's description would match a post-Mustafar Anakin.
  16. Durnar Jedi Knight

star 3
    I woudl say no. Not likely at all.
  17. frozenphoenix32 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I recently read the novel, and it was pretty good. Denning is one of my favorite SW authors, along with Stackpole, Allston, Stover and Zahn. I think it was a great setup for the series.

Is there any site on TOS with more info on The Unseen Queen?
  18. Jek_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    I just finished the book and I must say it's the best post-ROTJ Star Wars book I've read in awhile.

But, because of the whole 'there is no dark side' thing, all the Jedi characters come off as arrogant and condescending, especially Jacen. Not to mention the philosophy itself dosen't make any sense whatsoever- if it did, that would mean Anakin Skywalker didn't fall to the dark side in ROTS, at least not when he was busy murdering children.

I mean, sactioning the torture of Jedi? And they don't want to become like the Yuuzhan Vong? Yoda and Obi-Wan are rolling over in their graves.
  19. jedibarrister Jedi Knight

I guessed that Lomi was turning them off or switching gears inside the weapons. Who knows?
  20. jedibarrister Jedi Knight

The arrogance of their new philosophy will fall by Swarm War...R2 will likely be a figure in that realization. Darth Anakin's "I do not fear the dark side" will be seen by holo by the new council....bet me.

What are your thoughts about Leia finally picking up her heritage in her 50s? I wrote to the publishing company years ago complaining about how the daugher of the chosen one was incapable of picking up the skills necessary in a matter of years when her brother did in a matter of weeks. I guess it didn't fall on deaf ears....it took a while but she's finally stepping up to her physical powers and not just her diplomatic powers. Think how SUPREME she can be. A full fledged Jedi with her diplomatic skills....

21. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    It seems that the Jedi took the new philosophy the wrong way. Like Luke said, "The Force may have no dark side, but we do. We must choose." Geez, Luke, that's kinda what Vergere was saying. :rolleyes:
  22. jedi_master326 Jedi Master

star 4
    I am very dissappointed with how the Jedi and Force are portrayed in TJK. Like Kyp said, they're turning into mercenaries. I can't fathom what happened that completely warped Luke's philosophies, after everything he's learned from Obi-Wan and Yoda...
  23. Darklord07 Jedi Master

star 4
    yes i agree.
    Its basically him turning on their teachings.
    All I can forsee for the Jedi is disaster if they keep on using the darkside of the force.No matter if their intentions are good they should not do it.
  24. jedi_master326 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hopefully something will happen in Dark Nest II or III that makes them wake up and smell the coffee.
  25. Kudzu Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Or wake up and smell the Yuuzhan Vong kudzu (no relation to yours truly [face_peace] ) that's still eating their capitol planet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.