main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Dark Nest I: The Joiner King Discussion Thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Shatterpoint... we could use a few more good novels like that.

With all those Joiners, you think the bugs could have at least started building some more modern starfighters (or is it a cultural thing?)

2. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    This is a bit random, but there was one bit in The Joiner King that amused me greatly- when Juun stared in amazement at Leia and said, "You can read minds?" I flashed back to that bit in Zoolander when Matilda tells Derek she was bulimic.

Just a thought.

3. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    [face_laugh]
    And that dance by Zekk and Jaina? Love to love you baby...........

All you need is a fat Chinese guy.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    [face_laugh]

And a midget sherpa.

5. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    You must have been reading a different book then. Lets see, the Koruuni are considered second class citizens. Jungle Prospectors kill civillian Koruuni and probably will then get a medal for doing it.

6. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I like your idea on the real Dark Nest, Excellence. I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be true, because it would mean that Luke would get to discover even more about his past. In fact...I wonder if Artoo managed to record Anakin and Padmé's confrontation on Mustafar? [face_mischief]

7. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    I think he was still on the ship.

8. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    TFN review is up. 3 out of 4.

9. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Sounds like an interesting read. I think I might go buy it soon. I want it... me wants it... yess...smeagol..er..Anakin wants it. lol :p :D

10. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Finally the review is up yay 3 out of 4 aint bad:D

11. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I've been reading "Joiner King" (taken me a while to finish as I write my thoughts/notes on post-its).

Anyways, I had a question: How old are Jacen & Jaina in the Dark Nest trilogy? I get the impression they are somewhere in their early 20's.

12. Gloria

Gloria Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    My guess is 25.. [face_thinking]

13. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I think it's 26. They're 16 when NJO starts, and the NJO lasts 5 years, plus 5 years between the NJO and TJK would make them 26 at the start.

14. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Dark Nest is set 35 ABY, Jaina and Jacen were born 9 ABY, hence they are both 26.

15. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Wow, I must have been out of the lit loop for a long time. I was looking forward to these so much, and I didn't even know they existed until I saw it at Borders one day. It was great though.

10 more days. :-(

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Remember, Jacen aged 5yrs. ;) Myrkr was 7yrs ago from Joiner.

17. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks.

18. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    Has anyone already discuss the fact that the dark jedi lomi and welk were headed towards the unknown regions which is theoritically the last stronghold of the sith?

Revan and Exile went there. Kyle is lost there. Lomi and Welk were headed there. Lumiya and Ventress might be there. The True Sith Empire was there. The cloak of the Sith is there.

A lot of the points are headed towards this one point.

Comments, Suggestions, and violent reactions?

19. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    THe Cloak of the Sith is not in the Unknown Regions. Its on the opposite side of the Outer RIm entirely.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

An unsupported assumption, Razzy. Nowhere does it say they were heading for a Sith locale. They fled to a random system under heavy fire.

However, the KOTOR 2, upcoming Legacy and KOTOR series and Katarn article indicates imminent Sithly stories to come.

21. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    [face_plain]

In any case, I think the beginning book of this series was a solid addition, and Denning is firmly establishing himself among the elite writers in my book.

22. TheSoloMan2

TheSoloMan2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2005
    lol, well now that ive been redirected by someone to this board, i have a few questions, and forgive me if the questions were already asked.

1. When did the whole new force thingy come up? Does this justify ruthless killing by the jedi?

2. That whole scene when luke and welk were dueling puzzled me cause it mentions lomi po. Whend she get into the picture? Was she a spirit?

Thanks!

23. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    lomi plo and welk are dark force users, lomi plo is a nightsister/dathomiri witch and the pair were encountered on the Myrkr mission from the NJO novel Star By Star...

In the same book Jacen was captured by the Vong, and was left in the care of Vergere, a Jedi from the time of the Old Republic who left with the Vong when Anakin Skywalker wasn't even a teenager. She'd come to the conclusion that there was no dark side, and that it's the intentions that make you light or dark.

so the jedi ate it and in the years to come now use the dark side

24. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Just because... [face_mischief] ;) :D

[blockquote]Her mind went first to the Jedi academy on Yavin 4, during a time when Anakin was still too young to attend and jealous of his elder siblings....

... Leia's mind flashed back to the Yavin 4 visit, to a handsome blond-haired boy lying unconscious on the floor after being bitten by Jacen's crystal snake--a handsome boy dressed in the haughty scarlet, gold and purple of the Bornaryn shipping empire.

"Raynar?" she gasped. "Raynar Thul?"

- TJK, pp. 99-102[/blockquote]

Now let's look at the scene to which that memory relates; it's in [i]Heirs of the Force[/i]:

[blockquote]But when they came to Raynar's half-open door, they immediately sensed something out of the ordinary. Peering inside, the twins spotted the boy sprawled on the polished stone tiles of the floor.

Raynar wore fine garments of purple, gold, and scarlet cloth, the colors of his noble family's house. Despite Uncle Luke's gentle suggestions, Raynar rarely took off his fancy costume, never allowed himself to be seen in drab but comfortable Jedi training clothes.

Raynar's bristly blond hair shone like flecks of gold dust in the morning sunlight spilling into his room through the window slits. His flushed cheeks sagged in and blew out as he snored softly in an awkward position on the cold tile floor.

"Oh, blaster bolts!" Jacen said. "I think we've found my snake."[/blockquote]

There are only two people who could remember that scene - Jacen and Jaina. Leia is on Coruscant, Raynar himself utterly insensible in a drugged sleep.

So, someone is, [b]even at the outset[/b] supplying Leia with one of the Solo twins' memories to indicate that UnuThul is Raynar...

... and I've argued elsewhere that her thoughts keep turning instead to Anakin...

Now, let me see. We have three things here:

[b]Planted evidence[/b] indicating that he's Raynar.
    [b]Maternal instinct[/b] that UnuThul might be Anakin.
    [b]Rationalization[/b] that Anakin is dead.

Well, actually, we have four things...

[b]Pitch-perfect[/b] Darth Vader impersonation by the Prime Unu.

So... whither this?

- The Imperial Ewok

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.