main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen Discussion Thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyCollee

JoeyCollee Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2005
    is this thread dead or jus ppl run outta things 2 say

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Most the astromech's had defective leg rockets which were recalled. It's likely that Artoo has his go out on him sometime between RotS and ANH, but had them fixed up post RotJ

3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..this book is SO close to being a solid read...

Bugs, and Jaina and Zekk ruin it. This joiner garbage has GOT to go.

When the story is focusing on Han and Luke, or Leia and Saba as they try to break the blockade.. Heck, i even find that new Admiral interesting..

But who in the WORLD ever thought that that joiner crap was a GOOD IDEA? What is that stuff doing in Star Wars?

A buddy of mine said "that's what happens when you allow third-rate authors write Star Wars", and honestly, i'm starting to think he's right.

To Denning's credit, i at least could actually visualize the action sequences in this one. Didn't have any "i have no clue what is going on here, where did you learn to describe things?" moments...

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What's wrong with the bugs? They bring out a person's natural unease for them. Would you have prefered hornets of bear cubs? They were proliferate in NJO too. :p

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..i think that's one of the major problems..

I do not associate the HEEBIE JEEBIES with Star Wars..

The bugs rank right up there with the Vong has stuff that just doesn't fit the feel.

And that Jedi would be so weak.. I mean, when LUKE is starting to show signs of becoming a Joiner.. That just shouldn't be happening.

He's supposed to be the most powerful Jedi going, right now.

6. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"That just shouldn't be happening."<<

Why not? Jedi are people too, with flaws and imperfections. It's not like Jedi = uber God.

7. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Well the bugs - with their hive mind and dark nest are obviously there as a metaphor for exploring the force and a tool for retconing Del Reys no darkside, do what ever you want philosophising from the njo. I actually think they're an ok villain. But I liked the Vong too.

8. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    No kidding.

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I don't have a problem with the Killiks being bugs. The other insect races like Verpine and Gand are fine. It's just that the Killiks don't think for themselves and are led by an emotionally stunted moron.

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

That's the fun, Zebra. :p One of my favourite moments of Joiner King was Thul trying to pressure Skywalker's head again, and he struck back, his companions reinforcing HIS will to evict Thul.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There was a discussion on Napoleon in here and I wasn't notified?! I could have said so many things...

Just for fun though...

Executions under the "democratic" French Republic's Reign of Terror: 7,000+
    Executions under the Consulate and French Empire: 34

Hmm.

Anyone want to wager a guess on why the monarchs opposed Napoleon so strongly? He spread liberal and modern reforms in nearly every country he occupied. It pretty much forced most aristocracies to support him, because if they didn't, the only way to overpower him would be through a popular uprising--which'd be the very thing that they'd be wanting to stop. That's why during the revolt of Spain, it was the aristocrats--his natural enemies--that most strongly supported the imperial occupation.

It wasn't until the Continental Blockade that the monarchs were able to get a good reason to mobilize the people under them. Then they could successfully point their guns at him and utilize popular support to do so.

One will notice that on no less than two occasions, Napoleon willingly abdicated rather than plunge his nation into civil war. He's quoted on saying that--because the vast majority of the populace preferred him, even after Waterloo. He could have easily held on to power, but he did not want to do so at the cost of innocent French blood. That's why he was returned to power in the One Hundred Days without any bloodshed. The bulk of the working classes and a good number of the middle classes were staunchy Bonapartist in feeling--it's why that fool Louis-Napoleon was able to win the presidency in 1848 and the throne in 1852: that's indisputable proof of Napoleon I's popularity. It was only part of the middle class (republican) and the aristocrats (royalist) that opposed him.

Most of modern France's laws and those of the EU nations are based directly and literally off of Napoleon's Civil Code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.