main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Darth Maul Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by whoblowsthere, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediSF

JediSF Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Maul is perfect for the movie. He's menacing. And he's a perfect jump off point for the introduction of the Sith: he is pure uncontrolled rage. Regardless of the false fronts put up by the other Sith (controlled, aloof, omniscient, refined) when you come right down to it they are alll at their Core what Maul is on the surface: uncontrollable rage. it's the source of their strength and their greatest weakness.

2. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    "He had a bit of a speech about "Fear" in the "Duel of the Fates" music video of John WIlliams performing with his orchestra."

That was a really cool speech, he should have somehow said that in the movie.

3. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    Yeah, a rather taciturn, "here boy,sit" type bad ass...He's just a pussy. Obi Wan even beat him as a Padawan..now THAT'S bad.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I prefer Dooku, Sidious and Vader.
    I think Maul is a weak character, or has a lack of character. I really can't stand him.

-Seldon

5. Leveler

Leveler Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    Hes a great character that served his purpose.

He took out one of the top duelests in the Jedi order and beat Obi(the greatest jedi eva!) while Obi was in "dark-side" mode.

He lost becuase it was the will of the force. The Dark Side was not yet strong anough to previal, and i think Sidious knew it.

Maul was MUCH better character then Ventres btw, im tired of seeing pasty white bald sith, it seems like all EU sith look like this. At least Lucas can pick good designs when he sees them.

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    At least Lucas can pick good designs when he sees them.

*cough* Jar-jar *cough*

7. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    Now had Dave Mustaine played the role of Maul, I would have agreed with the title "Bad Ass" but as you know,he's too busy making music with Megadeth!!

8. Indy_Knight

Indy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2004
    Maul was as bad as you can get!! Ray Park was brilliant, Shame he was'nt in the film longer though. I remember the first picture I seen of him was on SW magazine waaaay back in 1998. I was well impressed, the look and the double bladed Light Saber. I thought who else thinks of this, but GL.

(Would be cool to see RP play a Jedi in ROTS and fight alongside Obi Wan.)

9. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Amen brother, Maul was indeed quite a cool character. He is a personal favorite of mine.

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  11. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    Darth Maul was one of the coolest bad guys in the saga...no doubt! He defnitly introduces the Sith with a bang, and he shows just how powerful the dark side of the force is. He's skills with a blade are the best I've seen in the saga. Although I defnitly would have love to see how Count Dooku would have done against him... That would have been a pretty cool duel to see.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    OK we've had so many Darth Maul related threads lately that I have gone ahead and made this one the official thread. Please use this for all general Maul discussion. :D

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure.

Your faith in the Red Sox is your weakness, btw. :)

Heh, it was soo funny when I saw him die the first time...I was so blasted on adrenaline that I didn't really realize what Obi-Wan did to him.

*Obi-Wan slices Maul, Maul begins to fall away*
    "Oh no dude, he's getting away-get im!"
    *Maul splits in half*
    "eh-hell yeah, he's dead!!"

14. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Darth Maul was a menacing Sith. He was shrouded in mystery as Vader was in the OT and as Palpatine is in the entire saga. No one knows where he came from or much about him in general. I think the thing that grabbed me was his double bladed lightsaber. Of course then I got to see more imagery of him and I thought man this guy is awesome. The horns, the tatooed body, and the quiet, stealthy, voice. His most memorable scene was when the hangar doors open and we see him standing there and "Duel of Fates" starts. Then he takes off his hood and cloak and then takes out his double bladed lightsaber.

I one of the two books about him called Shadow Hunter and was impressed. If you like Maul you'll like that book because it gives you a chance to see more of Maul and still keeps him a mystery. I also read a Star Wars Adventures book about him that wasn't too bad. He had a droid called C-3PX and it was cool since it showcased the Sith Infiltrator. While I am on the SI, it is a BAD @$$ ship and I would have liked to see it in action.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I like the gradual progression shown in the PT from Maul to Vader a whole lot.

Maul: a phantom; all he does is kill, and he's darn good at it. Extremely mysterious-one of the 'phantom menaces' mentioned in the title. Overshadowed by the real bad guy, Lord Sidious.

Dooku-more visible, yet still hidden. Nobody realizes he's a Sith until the end of the movie. Still overshadowed by Sidious.

Vader-seemingly totally visible, yet has a side none of us even guessed at. Seems to be the ultimate bad guy, but this is eventually shown not to be the case.

16. Darth-Viper

Darth-Viper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2000
    I remember when I first saw the trailer for TPM and I saw the scene with Darth Maul. I thought there were a race of "Mauls" that fought the Jedi. I guess because it was inter-cut(?) with the scenes of the Naboo invasion. The coolest picture that got me hyped up was the famous Obi vs Maul promo picture. Too bad it was only a promo.

17. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    hmm someone on the front page suggested how maul would fair vs tyranus.

well seeing as maul comes accross as super fast, super agressive, but young sith lord, a buddy of mine and i have a theory.

basicly maul attacks with lightning speed doing moves exactly like always, dooku of course blocks them all.

after a few wacks, dooku grabs maul with lighting and bounces him off a few walls and the ceiling before looking down at him and saying:

"would you care to try another backflip, lord maul?"

i guess it's hillarious to hear my friend do it because he does a very good chris lee.

point is this, maul was great i was deeply dissapointed in his lack of lines, and not coming back in AotC.

ultimately i doubt he could have filled the shoes dooku had to though.

i realy wish they'd saved maul for later in the series.

i think i'd rather see him getting the screen time of a certain cyborg destine to appear in ep3.

alas it was not to be.

18. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    I've read of an interview with Ray Park on Hyperspace (starwars.com). I'm not a hyperspace member so I want to know what was discussed and perhaps what he's doing to make a living. The interview was in December 04.
    Has anyone read it??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.