main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Well, I really would like to see a master-and-apprentice-couple in the Bane line... They could have been really put the Rule of Two behind them - only to be killed off by their son/daughter ;-).

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/Helicopterglyphs.jpg]

A Long Time Ago, covers alot of ground....
    Peru, it is, then.
    ;)

:p

3. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    And, they arrived in a Sithcopter!

And I thought a Bith Sith was weird.

4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Correction: SithChoppa!
    (Heavy Arnold accent required)

:p

5. DarthMarly

DarthMarly Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2010
    I loved this novel! Just finished it last night, and it quickly became one of my very favorite Star Wars novels. So many questions answered; I love knowing Palpatine's backstory now. It really changes my perspective on everything. Although I dislike The Phantom Menace, I think I'll see it again when it comes out next month. The novel made the film far more interesting; great marketing! I'm also a bit more interested in Dooku now. Does anyone know if there is a book exploring his early years?

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Something about this guy seriously needs to be fleshed out.
    What is weirder though is that i always thought that Seti Ashgad was actually apart of Palpatine's inner circle anyway?

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    For some reason I can't get too excited about Dooku. I feel like I've reached my Dooku quota. I did like the bit with the tentacled creature in Open Seasons, though.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got a rather dumb question. It may have been mentioned already but here goes: I have the UK edition of the book. On page 30, before Plagueis is discovered in the cargo bay on the Woebegone, there is a reference to a telltale on the ship's status display suite. Now the actual message is garbled, with accented capital letters in my copy of the book and it makes no sense. The same garbling is seen after the end in the 'About the Author' section just prior to the excerpt from Shadow Games, only this time it is Luceno's name that's garbled. Is the US edition the same? (If not, what does the bit on the status display actually say?)

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "CARGO BAY 4 AMBIENT".

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks for that. I tried to decode it as only some of the letters were garbage but I had no luck. If anyone else has the UK edition, could you see if yours has the problem as well? Maybe I just got a bad copy. Those were the only two places I noticed the problem.

(Maybe I can flog this on Ebay as a one of a kind!):p

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sorry Laj, you probably can't, my copy's the same - but I hadn't noticed!

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, that saves me buying a new copy on the hope that it would be OK (unless I get it from Amazon US). I noticed the first time I read it and figured I'd ask since I'm re-reading it. If it's corrected in the paperback then I might pick it up.

13. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I got that too. Maybe it's in Aurebesh :p

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Got the book for my birthday. Some random thoughts:

So. Much. Win [face_hypnotized]

Is there any TPM-era EU that Luceno didn?t reference?

A bit of props are due to Vader, here. What took Plagueis nearly a decade?s worth of 24/7 effort to learn, Vader accomplished by instinct and sheer will on Mustafar, Atoa, and versus Rhett aboard the Death Star.

dewback_rancher likes this.
  15. aeods

aeods Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    Well it's 5:30 in the morning here in Aus, and I just finished it, and all I can say is: wow! As a massive fan of SW continuity weaving together, this book was everything I could hope for and more. It makes me want to pick Cloak of Deception up without pause and haul through it, pick up Shadow Hunter, haul through it, and even read the TPM novelisation again. And I suppose that's the point! But as someone early in the thread said, this book could actually be the saving grace of TPM. I now view the movie in a completely different light, now that we know what was happening in the background.

I actually agree, that this is one of the only SW books I would recommend to someone who has only seen the movies - although I let a friend haul off The Thrawn Trilogy a couple of days ago to try out - as it is absolutely brilliant.

Also, did anyone pause to wonder what Palpatine ended up doing with Plagueis' droid? Hmm...

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    In a recent interview, Luceno said that he believes 11-4D was present when Vader was rebuilt.

:)

17. aeods

Dec 3, 2004
    Well now that's rather cool.

Do you think there is any chance of Lucas passing off the running of Star Wars to Luceno? Their names sound familiar, no one would ever have to know....

A man can hope...

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I thought so, as well.

11-4D ranks right up there, just behind Artoo, 3PO and HK-47....

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    They should merge into a composite being called Lucenocas.

It would be the best outcome.

dewback_rancher likes this.
  20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That wouldn't be a bad idea, actually.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Lucas' sway, money and special effects with Luceno's storytelling? I like :)

22. aeods

Dec 3, 2004
    I'm now rewatching TPM in an entirely new light. Interestingly at the start of the movie when Gunray notifies Sidious of the fact that the ambassadors are Jedi, he doesn't actually show surprise, but merely states 'This turn of events is unfortunate.' which makes it perfectly acceptable that Sidious already knew, or had recently learnt, that the ambassadors were Jedi, as revealed in the book.

Watching the movie now, whenever I see Palpatine/Sidious, I feel I view him in an entirely new light, which is an incredible feat considering we already knew quite a lot of depth about his character - evil Sith Lord plotting to overthrow the Republic from the start - but Darth Plagueis has actually added an incredible new layer to him, the fact that he was still essentially the Apprentice at this point.

This book truly is one of the EU's masterpieces, I cannot say that enough. I would go so far as to say it is THE masterpiece. But then, you can look at books like Shatterpoint, Traitor, TUF, Star by Star, HTTE, as also being masterpieces, but each are a masterpiece in different ways. DP adds depth and new understanding to huge players in the universe, make TPM watchable - urgh though as I type this Jar Jar has just appeared on screen and I am reminded that even a brilliant piece of work like DP cannot make him watchable - Shatterpoint brings a level of philosophy, darkness, and depth to the Universe that I would not have anticipated seeing in SW, as does Traitor, TUF and Star By Star give brilliant portrayals of one of the biggest wars in SW history, and HTTE, well, what needs to be said that hasn't already been said about the one that really kick-started it all.

But I just get the feeling that in years to come, DP will maintain its position right at the top, and could well be seen as the book that breathed fresh life into the EU.

23. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Have it. Read It. Finished It.

my thoughts.

Not the best Star War book i have ever read, (most likely because i read most of the spoilers beforehand), but above all, definietly one of the best. I will admit that after the first hundred pages, when Plagueis starts to train Palpatine, i actually found myself enthralled and really believing almost every work that came out of his mouth. The distinct doctrine written down was fantastic. Definitely more indepth than the Darth Bane novels, but without a doubt continues its ideaologies that it set forth.

The political intrigue was fantastic. Beautifully written. As well as all the manipulations that went forth through the book, though i do confess that the Master Sifo-dyas manipulation by Plagueis was a stroke of brilliance, as was the Dooku manipulations, though it more or less strikes me that Dooku really found his own accord and approached Sidious/Palpatine directly by his own volition, rather than be manipulated. The extra tenement with Maul practically being a Sith assassin rather than a fully formed Sith Lord, becides the use of the Darth Title was interesting to say the least, and although i think it dumbs the character down, played well into the fact that Maul (considering his name) was nothing more than a killing machine and expendable.

I think that the Anakin part towards the end was rushed, but considering the time-frame, well versed. There should have been much more aspects on their experiments together. I may have skipped over a part or two when i wasn't looking, because i didn't come to the same conclusion that Anakin was/wasn't birthed from Plagueis' experiments. I think i need a second readthrough....because i know i didn't get everything.

The Plagueis-Qui-gon discussion was really awesome. Double entendre well played by Plagueis. Palpatine's four advisors i actually found myself laughing and smiling about as they appeared almost everywhere in the book: Doriana, Janus, Sim and Pestage, with all the behind-the-scenes actions they were doing i found amusing.

All in all, i found it to be a good read.
    But, IMO, at this time, 8-8.5/10

24. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I also like the 'poetic' symmetry that Lucas oh so loves, with Palpatine and his apprentices / prospective apprentices and their hands (damage, loosing one, etc.) - Maul, Vader, Luke ... What is the symbolism in this?

25. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I wonder if Jacen Solo found Aborah on his "5 year journey"? [face_thinking]