main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DarthAdamentum

DarthAdamentum Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2008
    Gutted though there was never an official name for Tenebrous' Master... but Darth Gean? what does Gean even mean?

2. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    Yes, Luceno confirmed in his facebook Q&A that Santhe was behind the sabotaged mining droid from the beginning of the book.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Thanks.

I also wonder if the Palpatine home being so close to the Lake Retreat is how Palpatine knew Anakin and Padme were married? Even if he just had security cameras around his old home, one of them could have easily caught their first kiss and/or the wedding ceremony itself.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the ROTS novel Palpatine claims to have connections in the Naboo clergy.

Vialco likes this.
  5. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Didn't he just say something like 'Rugess Nome had many enemies' and that Luceno would take 'a hard look' at Santhe? My view of it was that was likely Luceno's 'authorial suspicion', but he seemed to purposefully leave it somewhat vague. Kind of like, 'it's fair to assume' but not, 'without a shadow of a doubt, it's Santhe' ? [face_thinking]

Edit: It's the 6th question down

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I think I read in the ROTS Visual Dictionary which ironically is by Luceno that Captain Panaka informed Palpatine of the marriage.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Knowing Palpatine, he probably had ten or so sources informing him about the marriage in the 24 hours after the ceremony (with them not knowing about each other).

dewback_rancher likes this.
  8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The ROTS novel was the source edited by Lucas, so one could argue that takes precedence.

9. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Except that the biography written for the guy who actually conducted their marriage (whose name was Agolerga, if I'm not mistaken) simply doesn't leave room for Palps to find out about it through the civil clergy, like he said he did in the novelization. If you check, you'll see. Palpatine could easily have said that to throw Anakin off of how he really did learn about it. The ROTS Visual Dictionary posits that he found out about their marriage because Panaka told him. How did he learn about it? No one knows; possibly Padme spilled it to Panaka in a weak moment after the wedding had happened or something; he'd managed her security for years, you'd think she could trust him with it. And was Panaka betraying a trust when he revealed this to Palpatine, or did Palps just manipulate him into spilling the beans somehow? Or did he just use the Force on his brain? Again, no one knows.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    According to Wookieepedia's page for the character, both a member of the civil clergy and Panaka found out about it. If that's the biography you're talking about, it leaves room for the civil clergy angle.

11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Frankly, I just read that as something that needs to be polished on the Wook; the only reason that's in there is because of the ROTS novelization, and while Palpatine says it, it may not be the truth (surprise!). It would be more accurate to say in the Wook that Palps simply claimed to have heard it from the civil clergy. Ideally, you need to read the original article from the old official site that the Wook article was based on, and observe the fact that how it's worded leaves very little room to maneuver:

So we see that Agolerga wasn't from the Theed civil clergy, but from some isolated religious order up in the mountains consisting of only twenty guys that barely anybody knows or cares about, even on Naboo. The only reason Padme knew about them is because she had heard about them during her time in the Legislative Youth Program and, possibly from then on, Agolerga became a friend of the family. He probably lived in the mountain sanctuary all the time, and we know that he was driven to the Lake Country - by the droids, no less - to perform the marriage and was presumably driven back right after. When would he have had opportunity to tell anyone in the civil clergy about this? And even if he had an opportunity to tell someone, Anakin did a Force-thing on him to ensure that he wouldn't tell anyone. And indeed, he didn't even tell her family, despite the fact that he was close to them. The only record of it that he left at the time is some official register hidden away in

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't get how a marriage using fake names can be considered legal.

But if everything happened the way that article said it did, there would be no point in his leading Anakin to believe that, if it is as unlikely a possibility as you claim. For surely Anakin, as a participant, would feel the same way.

13. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    QUESTION:

I reread Outbound Flight in the past couple of days and came across Kinman Doriana who was working for Palpatine. Now, obviosuly their background is fleshed out a bit in Darth Plagueis, and from what i recall (I do not have my copy of DP with me as i loaned it to a friend), but is Doriana actually aware that Palpatine is Sidious? In Outbound Flight, he goes from one meeting with Palpatine and the next page he is talking with Sidious from his apartment....It's just, from what i remember, in DP he is aware of the relationship between Demask and Palpatine, and also is Palpatine's confidant, but is he aware that Palpatine is Sidious in DP?

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Nope, he's completely unaware. He's privy to a lot of things that Palpatine does, but not his double life as a Sith Lord.

I believe Sate Pestage is the only one who really knows.

15. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Yeah, i figured. I remembered that Sate said something like I am completely aware of what you and Hego Demask are capable of" or something to that extent.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    When Sate shows up with Palpatine to rescue Plagueis from the Maladians, it's clear that he's been made privy to the knowledge by the circumstances. Palpatine talks about his sensing abilities right in front of Sate.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    And he helped Sidious and Plagueis kill the Maladians at the Canted Circle. :p

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
  19. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Imagine if Pestage's defection to the New Republic actually occurred instead of Krennel killing him. The information he might've revealed would've blown the NR out of the water.

20. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    wasn't that a clone?

21. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Wasn't the one on Byss a clone? I don't think this was ever clarified.

22. Kebis

Kebis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    Was anyone else kind of disappointed that there wasn't much about Darth Plagueis being afraid of losing his power? That's one of the few things we knew about him from ROTS. And then at the end, all we really see from Plagueis are a couple of pre-election jitters.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Not to mention Sate actually watches Plagueis and Sidious kill some of the assassins with the Force.

Even though there is a "crack" in the comic, I don't see why we can't just say that he was imprisoned, rather than killed, and later freed in the Coruscant takeover. I personally like that over him having a clone.

Of course, I see that Krennel is in Isard's Revenge, an X-Wing book I have not yet read, so I don't know if it's mentioned specifically that he killed Pestage in that or not.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Or actually losing it, other than in the sense of being killed. Or perhaps in the sense of not anticipating Palpatine's actions? As in the case of Plagueis being supposedly "killed in his sleep", Luceno's version doesn't quite match the situation as it seemed to be portrayed in ROTS, at least not without a significant amount of squinting, though the book is still entertaining.

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Would it have been better to say that he killed his master while he was booze-barfing in the toilet?

"He could save others from death, but couldn't handle his alcohol." [face_mischief]

:p