main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the only picture I can actually view on that page. lol

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You are correct. Do you get the sleeping joke now?

4. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Yes. Incidentally, the image on the previous page now works for me. [face_thinking]

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Did Tenebrous rob Plagueis of his forsight, ultimately allowing Palpatine to kill him?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Did the master of Tenebrous rob him of his foresight, allowing Plagueis to kill him with underhanded (and not head-on) methods?

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was speculating based on The Tenebrous Way.

8. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Greetings! A question for anyone who is willing to answer...

I have not read the Darth Plagueis novel and was curious if in it it or anywhere else in the EU it could be explained why Sidious chose to kill his Master before he learned the ability to create life/ cheat death?

9. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012

Opportunity was knocking hard...

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I almost felt like Palpatine... didn't... care... well, maybe that's not it. He didn't care as much about immortality as Plagueis did? Maybe that's what I'm getting at. Whenever Palpatine's POV was in the story, his mind was usually on other matters, like galactic domination and all that jazz. He was certainly impressed with Plagueis's projects, especially when they started showing results, but unlike Plagueis he didn't spend 24/7 thinking about it. Immortality wasn't helping him control the universe, and Plagueis was starting to become extra baggage, especially when he destroyed his lab and wanting to steal part of Palpatine's thunder in the Chancellorship business.

And like Bullhead says, when the opportunity came he realized he might not get a better chance. Becoming Chancellor was his ticket to opening a new life, one without Plagueis hanging around in the background telling him what to do all the time.

11. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Darth Plaguies being a Muun, and an influential member of the Intergalactic Banking Clan as Hego Damask...

Star Wars Episode VII: "Money Never Sleeps". :cool:

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    That's how I read it.

Sidious killed him before learning that the Muun had truly succeeded in his quest for mastery over the midichlorians. Plagueis made a fatal error in not telling Palpatine the back half of his plan... that together, the two Chancellors Sith Lords would work in harmony and be able to heal each other forever. Robbed of his foresight (it failed him when he spied on Sidious and Maul), Plagueis was dead before he snorted his first glass of liquid courage.

13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

I have two ideas on that. 1 was simple opportunity. He saw his chance and he took it, knowing that in a fair fight he'd possibly never be able to overcome his Master, and therefore never able to really rule the galaxy on his own. The second is that being Sidious, he may have been arrogant enough to believe that he'd be able to rediscover the skill on his own based off of whatever he'd already seen and whatever notes his Master had left behind.

Iron_lord and Ananta Chetan like this.
  14. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013

The answer is in the question young one. If they follow Bane's tutelage of the apprentice killing the master to take the title of master for himself, what happens when Plagues discovers the secret of immortality? How can you kill someone who is immortal?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Immortal" in this context may mean "does not age" rather than "impossible to kill permanently".

16. Unbowed.Unbent.Unbroken

Unbowed.Unbent.Unbroken Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    I assumed that Sidious killed Plagueis because of his success with midichlorian manipulation. He feared that ability, just as he feared Plagueis. I don't think Plagueis telling Sidious his "keep each other forever young" plan would have made a difference, for two reasons:
    A) Sidious always wanted it all. He wanted complete dominion, not junior partnership.
    B) He would have never believed Plagueis anyway. Sidious is a very duplicitous bastard, so he naturally assumes everyone is as duplicitous as him. While Plagueis' intention was probably genuine(because he needed Sidious' political acumen, not because he was magnanimous), Sidious would just assume Plagueis was stringing him along until he got what he wanted, and would then dispose of him once his usefulness was spent - as any Sith should.

Throughout the novel we see that, no matter how strong he got, Sidious was always in awe of Plagueis' power, and always felt he was one step or two behind. When Plagueis resurrects Venamis, Sidious is genuinely stunned. And the old Muun was always probing deeper into the Force, pushing his abilities further and further. We also get a glimpse into this in Plagueis' Book of Sith entry. He had his fingers in many different pies. He saw midichlorians as a "unifying theory", and since anything is possible with the Force...

In short, Sidious saw the Muun constantly becoming stronger and stronger, and he feared the day Plagueis would no longer be subject to death. Venamis was a wake-up call for Sidious. If Plagueis can resurrect another, how long before he can resurrect himself? So Sidious had to make his move sooner rather than later.

When the opportunity presented himself, Sidious knew he had to take it or risk remaining Plagueis' lackey for the remainder of his life.

17. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    [face_whistling]

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

At least it's not one where he attempts to travel in time to undo critical events in the movie era.

Called Time Waits for No Muun.

Zorrixor and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. Darth Sidious 1983

Darth Sidious 1983 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2014
    I wonder how much awe Palpatine had going up the elevator to the penthouse suite
    after his nuclear scheme of a failed assassination attempt on his partner.

Vialco likes this.
  20. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I love how in the book, Palpatine is literally freaking out about how many steps behind Plaguies he might be.

21. OBI-TUE_KENOBI

OBI-TUE_KENOBI Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2009
    I just finished this book and I did enjoy it but I don't know that I liked that it was Plaguies who literally masterminded everything Palpatine did. I thought it diminished Palpatine a bit.

purplerain likes this.
  22. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Quite the contrary. Palpatine tricked Plaguies into thinking he was manipulating him.

Jedi Merkurian and purplerain like this.
  23. OBI-TUE_KENOBI

OBI-TUE_KENOBI Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2009

I remember that part too but that could just be boasting since he had him in a compromising position. Yeah they make Sidious really evil but aside from being able to play the political game he just didn't seem all that great of a Sith Lord. But hey, that's just my opinion of course, I still liked the book. I also felt Plaguies should have been disposed of before the events of TPM.

purplerain and Chewbacca89 like this.
  24. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Agreed. I still enjoyed the book immensely, but the fact that Plagueis now had a hand in so much of what Sidious did (And I don't buy that garbage speech at the end about how Sidious was manipulating him. Didn't come off that way in the story at all.) takes something away from Palpatine's genius. Then again however, he still has so many great feats to his name that I don't think it's too damaging a loss.

25. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I think Lucas demanded that speech be added.
    Such as?