main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I find it amusing that the novel can apparently foster both interpretations. Well done, Jim.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1, Starkeiller and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Wait, people believe that Plagueis deliberately made Anakin?
    Interesting. Most interesting.

3. Darth_Kondorr

Darth_Kondorr Jedi Master

Sep 21, 2002
    Well, RotS did make it seem as if Anakin was created by Plagueis... only the Plagueis novel reverted my opinion back to "created by the midichlorians" as Mace said in TPB

4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Plagueis believes Anakin to be the Force striking back at him and Sidious. The fact that he has, by that point, become a paranoid nutcase who treats the Force as his personal opponent in some kind of cosmic chess game nicely casts some doubts on the truth of his conclusion. Also, when he and Palpatine do their über-meditation Grand Experiment thing, they are deliberately trying to create life through the midi-chlorians. Plagueis thinks they failed, but that is not necessarily true.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the Force intervened to "cloak" Anakin's creation, to ensure that Plagueis thinks he failed?

Or it could have planted the notion of creating Anakin in Plagueis's head in the first place? Be an interesting fulfillment of the prophesy if Plagueis was The Force's instrument.

Starkeiller likes this.
  6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Don't think either Revenge of the Sith or Darth Plagueis outright says either one or the other is absolutely true. I think based on the readings, an argument can be made for either, and that it comes down to personal preference. (Unless Lucas has come out and stated it one way or the other himself.) Personally, I believe it was the Force lashing back at Plagueis for trying at all. So, from a certain point of view, he did succeed, because by attempting to create life at all, he caused the Force to see that it was time to create life, via the Chosen One. He then isn't the father, but the catalyst for the father, The Force, creating the child, Anakin. Like a friend who hooks up two other friends, and that couple later has a child together.

Darth_Foo, Revanfan1 and LordDlow like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    By the time he'd done his experiment, he'd already "created life" a few times - the experiment was to create powerfully Force-sensitive life.

8. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

I don't think he'd created a being from nothing had he?

9. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Yeah, but they were teratogenic, and they died almost immediately.

10. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Well then the Force just got sick of him playing around with life and smacked back...like whiplash. [face_laugh]

11. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I think it was left open intentionally, when Plaguis spys on Anakin he gets a glimpse of the future, and knew this kid would have a tremendous effect on the future. I don't think there was supposed to be a direct link, in the film or the novel it was open ended. Prophecys can be self fulfilling, it adds to the Sith inadvertently creating what would down the line destroy them, and in a way, led to plaguis's death, Palpatine could of seen Anakin as another experiment by his master to create a perfect being to replace him..

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is my interpretation as well.

13. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    What I find really cool about DP is how Luceno referenced Part II of Legacy of the Jedi. I almost fell out of my seat in surprise the first time I read it.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not at first. That was later.

15. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    True. I should have said that they didn't live.

16. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    So, I saw on my ipad today that my electronic copy of the novel (which I bought because I wanted to start reading IMMEDIATELY after release) now sports the "Legends" logo. That sheeved me off immensely. &@%$ Kindle and iBooks.

17. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Recently picked up the PB of Darth Plagueis by James Luceno. Started reading this & it's excellent (so far). I got interested in finding out more about the character after recently finding the TBS DP action figure recently (finally!).

I was somewhat bummed at only being able to find the Legends PB of this novel (with the Disney logo on the back) - since it came out in 2012 (almost three years ago), the HC is OOP & I can't find this on Amazon or even a used bookstore that I went to...

Will post more once I finish this novel...

Immortiss likes this.
  18. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Darth Plagueis was one of the best novels to come out of the final EU years, and probably one of my favorite Star Wars novels in general. Not necessarily completely focused on action, but provides a lot of information for the background dealings that led up to the prequel films, as well as detailing the lives of two of the most important figures in history. I'm still a little bummed that they didn't go ahead and keep it as canon.

Enjoy the novel though, and definitely give us your thoughts on it afterwards.

19. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I just read Darth Plagueis again. Concerning Naat Lare, Nautolan candidate for becoming Venamis' or Plagueis apprentice : what would have happened if Naat Lare would have killed the two Jedi who haunted him, instead of being killed by the Jedi-Master Ni Cada? Would Naat Lare really have become Sith Number Two after Plagueis? And young Palpatine would have stayed just one more angry young man at Theed?

While Naat Lare would have become Emperor giving us a fierce Nautolan vs. Nautolan lightsaber-duel with Kit Fisto right before his "coronation"?

20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Oh, the 'What-if's" of saga narrative history.

What if Darth Plagueis was in a dead sleep? Could he manipulate the Force to awaken him?

21. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Read it
    yesterday and loved it.For some reason I felt sad when plague died.I don't know why though.He was a complete *******.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, he was.

Starkeiller likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Darth_Dreadwar could give a reason why - Plagueis had grand ambitions to achieve immortality, combined with a scientific mindset. Perhaps it's the "a great talent (on the wrong side) has gone" image that causes just a little sadness?

24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Uhh, he's bad company in parties. Gets hammered, babbles about politics and passes out.