main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    "Remember, if your apprentice gives you alcohol, don't drink it."

2. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    He won't show up.He's read the words "Christie Golden"

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    What are you saying??? He's excellent fun at teh parteez! Haven't you seen his gigs on Sojourn? He breaks out the kegs and lets loose the illegal critters and we all have a grand old time watching an execution or three (dozen)!

Darkslayer and Iron_lord like this.
  4. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Had to tell my friend a few days ago that Darth Plagueis isn't canon anymore. SMH the light fading from her eyes will haunt me forever.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    What?! I don't understand?

6. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    How I like this :) When I read that he stripped himself naked before going into the water to face Naat Lare I wondered what would have happend if Plagueis had done the same in Theed? Palpatine is running away from a naked Muun following him in order to make him his disciple. And Plagueis would shout: "Please wait, young human!"

Of course stripping himself in front of Palpatine would make more sense if Palpatine was a Gungan. ;)

7. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Rally enjoyed this book, though it was so information dense that it feels like a reread is nessescary to fully grasp everything. Apparently things come together easier after reading other EU books so thats what I'll do before coming back to plagueis

My favourite moments were:

- Damask stowing aboard that ship. I took a quick liking to that crew and, it being the beginning of the book, was unsure of how Damask would handle the situation, so it got really tense. Especially with the audiobook noises of jumping to hyperspace and the humming of the ship to sell the feeling of isolation. Awesome stuff.

- first meeting with young palps. Loved seeing what he was like as a kid and this first conversation had so much weight behind it considering where he would end up. Also liked how it was in set naboo as it painted a good image, like how the planet is presented in the films.

- tie ins with TPM. It's cool that plagueis' hidden presence in TPM will now give those scenes another perspective to them. Also loved the appearances of the characters and how they were present but never intrusive to the story of the book. Like padme for example her first scene she doesnt even get any dialogue, and she doesn't play a large role overall, but she's mentioned enough to get take the story where it needs to go. Also, lol at Sidious calling quigon and obiwan a "pesky duo".

My main criticisms that sticks out is how the ending felt a little rushed. Like the revelations palps began shouting felt a little sudden and unearned. I'm not sure if that was just me not paying enough attention and if maybe it'll come across better upon reread, but yeah that's how it felt.

9/10

Next book: Labyrinth Of Evil.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is why Sith spirits are no longer canon.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wat.

I mean Hego, but srsly, wow.
    [​IMG]

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    These covers made by Two Dots Creative Studio are gorgeous. I mean, have you seen the one they did for Heir to the Jedi?
    [​IMG]

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    IMO Palpatine looks awesome, but Plagueis doesn't look Muunish to me. He looks cool, but if I didn't know who that was, I wouldn't say he's a Muun.

12. beatbox

beatbox Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    Looked like kylo from a distance.

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    One of the minor details of the book that I found very interesting in the beginning was Darth Maul almost finding out that his master answered to another master.

spicer likes this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD :emperor:[face_love]

Mia Mesharad and darklordoftech like this.
  16. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Just finished this novel....wow, this is Episode 0 to me. It makes TPM so much darker and more bad-ass.

It gives us so much Sith goodness, the kind of stuff I thought i was going to have to wait to see in Kylo's training in Episode 8.

So, I read the first 6 pages of this thread and then the last couple so you guys have probably litigated this but it seems to me that Shmi Skywalker was one of Gardulla's slaves that Plagueis did Force experiments on. Isn't there a scene that depicts Plagueis meeting a strong-willed slave of Gardulla's or am I misremembering?

17. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Young Palpatine for President.

18. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Only in a fanfiction called "A study in order" by saphsaq ;) .

Tanjint likes this.
  19. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Never read, so weird that I remember it... I think there's the slightest set up for it. I remember a scene with a "strong willed slave". Man, I might just have to read it all again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    What was the general consensus on Palpatine's Big Reveal that he'd been playing Plagueis all along? I mean, I love this book but I never quite worked out what exactly he was claiming the credit for, nor how he'd apparently done it? Beyond his admittedly crafty knife to the back and the power grab right at the end I never got the impression he'd outplayed Plagueis or got him to do anything he hadn't already intended to do. Palpatine was definitely more hands on but I always assumed that Plagueis had been the one intending for that to be the case...

Am I missing something or are we meant to think this is just Palpatine being Palpatine?

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that was a Yinchorri.

Tanjint likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think it makes sense that Palpatine was playing Plagueis all along. Palpatine has always been characterized as a manipulator who plays everyone, so of course of he was playing Plagueis. It also seemed to be that Plagueis became completely irrelevant after getting injured by the Maladians.

Tanjint likes this.
  23. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah but were we meant to think Palpatine was responsible for the Maladians actions and his own subsequent rise in (direct) power? I totally get behind the Palpatine as manipulator thing but I don't remember him actually manipulating Plagueis? He just said basically 'hahaha, I have been manipulating you!'... and that's it. I dunno, maybe it's just me not getting it.

cwustudent and Tanjint like this.
  24. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I was also flabbergasted by this final statement of Sidious infront of his dying master just like you. So I checked it out far above in the novel.

Palpatine was right at least in the following example I found:

While discussing the means of eliminating the Jedi, Plagueis first planned to let fight the clones against the Jedi right from the beginning. Then Sidious proposed to defeat the Jedi while coaxing them into their own snake-hurst (just like they, Palpatine and Plagueis, did plan with destroying Ars Veruna, while luring the late king of Naboo into a political situation he can't escape to establish another more complying souvereign then). Plagueis was fascinated by that thought of his apprentice. After that brainstorming Plagueis decided that it would be better to let the clone army fight at first together with the Jedi, not against them.

Just one example how Palpatine influenced his Sith-master clandestinely. I hope, that helps a bit to understand.

Tanjint likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I meant is that Palpatine apprenticed himself to Plagueis with the intention of learning everything Plagueis knew and then killing him. I'm certain that Palpatine knew the Maladians would attack Plagueis, and I wouldn't be surprised if Palpatine was behind the Maladian attack.

Tanjint likes this.