main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it possible that when Plagueis was cancelled in 2008, it was because GL planned to reveal Sheev's backstory in Underworld, and when GL realized that Underworld wasn't going to happen, he gave Plagueis the green light?

Vthuil, Barriss_Coffee and Sudooku like this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I figured the original cancellation had something to do with Lucas not wanting it to deal with Qui-Gon's search for immortality, since that's both the big thing that was teased for the original novel that was absent from the actual novel, plus something which did get touched on in a way by Lucas later (in the final TCW episodes).

Arawn_Fenn, Vthuil and Ghost like this.
  3. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Is there any indication that Darth Plagueis was behind the accident where Vidar Kim's family died at a starship? Or was that really an accident only? I see no clue in the DP-novel about it. What do you suppose or believe?

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I actually just read that section a few days ago: the implication is that the "unfortunate accident" was arranged on the orders of Tapalo, or people in his inner circle, either to encourage Senator Kim to get on board with the government's policies or to encourage him to retire so he can be replaced with a more compliant senator. The dialogue doesn't really point directly to either Plagueis or Sidious.

Sudooku likes this.
  5. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Never forget, evil is always and everywhere.

Not everything going bad is caused by the Sith, but they certainly make use of it.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    "Vultures. Vultures everywhere."

7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014

8. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    When Sidious told Plagueis before killing him:

“I could save you, of course. Return you from the brink, as you did Venamis. I could retask your body to repair the damage already done to your lungs, your hearts, your aged brain. But I’ll do no such thing. The idea here is not to drag you back at the last moment, but to bring you to death’s door and shove you through to the other side.”

Is this a "spoiler", an indication about that Palpatine was the one to bring Vader back from the brink of death after rescuing him from Mustafar?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Palpatine has healing powers, probably same with medical abilities of the Jedi, he used it on Anakin at Mustafar, and he has also Sith tech, which helped Anakin to survive. He could save Plagueis with these abilities.

10. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    What a tragedy: Palpatine could save others from dying but himself.
    And he could not task his midichlorians to fix his rotten appearance after Mace's directing back his force lightning either.

I really would like to read or even to see something more about Darth Sidious, the great Sith-healer.

11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Wouldn't we all?

I think we'll see more material brought back into canon through the back door with Luceno's upcoming Catalyst. I don't know why, but my hopes for that book are actually quite high. It may be just Luceno's past pattern of behavior.

12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    But at the same time he was not able to master cheat death, so his skill was not as good as his master.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So would you say Luceno's a back door man?

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  14. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    He didn't mention Plagueis in "Tarkin". So why should he probably mention him in "Catalyst" so far? [face_nail_biting] But hope dies last.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    He did mention Plagueis, and his droid from the novel, 11-4D. as well as Armand Isard, Sate Pestage, and other EU characters and events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Say what they will about Luceno, but when he gets on a roll he really knows how to nail a character.

I tell you, my budget only covers campaigning the continued existence of one Muun!:p
    To be honest, I best Luceno's slowly trolling here. I honestly don't think the new canon knows what to do with Plagueis yet (I'm no longer of the opinion he's Snoke, despite the same theme song) and that they haven't told Luceno one way or the other, so he keeps testing the water by inserting random Plagueis references in the new stories. I bet there'll be one in Catalyst. Palpatine will give Krennic a coin to hang on the Death Star's rearview mirror.

Sudooku likes this.
  17. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Nice to know finally. :D . There was another question some months ago, if it was mentioned in "Tarkin" if Plagueis is still a Muun according to the new Canon. But the reply was negative. I asked several times about any remarks about Plagueis in "Tarkin" without earning any reply. :( I assumed by then that Plagueis wasn't mentioned at all. I was disappointed to find nothing about Plagueis in "Cloak of Deception".

18. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    It's really weird reading Cloak of Deception after Darth Plagueis, as the story in the Plagueis novel is, among other things, the behind the scenes version of what's happening in Cloak of Deception. I don't think Plagueis even existed as a character when Cloak of Deception was written.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ra from Stargate = Darth Plagueis? Ra was "trying to cheat death"...

20. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Maybe Plagueis was just pissed off not to be nominated top-villain in the ST, after the forecast signs seemed to be so obvious in his favor, so he decided to plague other galaxies instead.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I've not read Cloak of Deception. Is the Darth Plagueis novel incongruent, contradictory or does it work out fairly well?

Apparently, even though Cloak of Deception is a prequel to The Phantom Menace, Luceno had access to parts of the screenplay drafts and concept art for Attack of the Clones and was able to utilize new characters introduced in Attack of the Clones.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He did - I thought it was really cool at the time. Some people make a lot of how the new continuity is doing a better job of integrating different types of media - and I think that's generally true - but the old EU had some great moments of that as well, and seeing stuff from AOTC debut in a book was a pretty good example.

23. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016

It's not at all incongruent. Luceno is great when it comes to continuity.

Dr. Steve Brule and Immortiss like this.
  24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Plagueis is great, though it has the misfortune of getting saddled with incorporating elements of TCW, mainly surrounding Darth Maul, that Cloak of Deception didn't have to worry about.

Indeed, Luceno and Stover both got to do a lot of great things during the development of the PT, especially Cloak of Deception, Labyrinth of Evil, and Revenge of the Sith novelization, were all great in part because they got unique access to Lucas.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I remain perplexed by the choice to give Maul a human mother.