main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Darth Vader Fan Club

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Evil Incarnate, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Yeah, I'm getting that feeling too. It's not right. Obiwan told Luke, Vader hunted down and destroyed the Jedi Knights. Not Vader's slave. It's nonsense. Have Vader destroy the Jedi. EU is trying to rewrite history. Vader's got to enjoy (on some level) being a Sith Lord. It seems like EU is setting up Vader to be very much over rated by the time of the OT. It's disgusting, really.

2. obiwankenobilover

obiwankenobilover Jedi Master star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    I really hope not, my image of Vader of being a bad *** will be, ugh, you know what I mean. EU is so messing things up, just annoys me. I wonder, does GL approve of this or doesn't he?? I want to see Vader be the main person to hunt them down not this apprentice.

3. General_Veers7

General_Veers7 Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2007
  4. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    Hey there back.

5. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    It was explicitly approved by George Lucas. A bunch of people from Lucas came to George and asked him about doing a game between the PT and OT. George was heavily involved. He approved all story lines. George has been truly instramental in tearing down his meal ticket. Bravo, George Lucas. Do you actually think anyone wants to hear the saga this way?

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep, it's entirely disgusting, but it's to the point that my dad, who was semi-disappointed that someone as evil as Vader was one of my favorite characters now thinks Vader is just pathetic and actually feels sorry for him. I mean, if it can have that kind of an affect on someone who has seen them all in theaters upon release, I can only imagine the twisted opinion one could get if you'd only seen the Prequels.

Which is why I think Lucas isn't the storyteller he once was. No one in the Prequels can match the icons that Luke, Vader, and Old Ben were. I mean, he called Vader pathetic, and that's not what I see at all.

7. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    Good point about Lucas not being the story teller he once was. No one can match Vader, Old Ben and Luke in the PT. The prequels were a failure. I caught TESB the other night and I was just shocked at how superior that film was to all the prequels, even my favorite, RotS. Lucas was very rusty IMO. He didn't make any films between RotJ and TPM, so I guess we should have seen it coming. What's interesting is that Lucas easily admits that he can't write to save his life, so instead of hiring a quality writer, he goes and writes the whole trilogy himself. He's earned the right, of course, but if he really loved Star Wars and wanted to please his loyal fans, he would have handed the writing (and directing) duties off to more able hands. I liked his role in TESB, he provided the story, answered questions and everyone else took care of the rest, and TESB is the best film of the saga. His characterization of Anakin was difficult, I must admit, but he took Anakin's childish, petty, behavior too far in AotC, and then went ahead and tried his best to tear down the greatest villian in cinema history. The Emperor seduced him, but why not allow him to find comfort and enjoy the dark side as he cleary does in ANH. It can still all come together in RotJ, without problem. When Palpatine says to Luke, "...Only at the end, do you understand..." It's really Vader who gets the message loud and clear. At the very end, Vader sees what he has become. But, up until that point, he's relished the dark side and enjoyed it's power. That's what I want to see, and that's basically what the films show. But since Lucas doesn't want that anymore more he's throwing words like "pathetic" around far too causually. It's wrong.

8. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    I can't believe it. I just can't. One of my fav villain's is going to be pathetic a wimp.

Thank you very much George Lucas for approving this story.

Unless there is more too the story where we don't know about it...is there.

I agree with you.

ROTS is my fav of the PT then follows into OT then to AOTC and PM. I find myself not liking Anakin's character in AOTC just annoyed me.

ESB is got to be one the biggest surprises to everyone whom ever saw it in theater or VHS/DVD. Even I was shocked how powerful and how it all came together, just as you said including ROTJ and ANH.

I remember seeing OT movies in theaters in 77, 80 and 83. Which too me were just amazing and I was blown out my mind. How such impact it made to anyone. Of course when it was re-released again and still it was. PT however did not exception for ROTS.

However making Vader pathetic is very wrong indeed.

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    See, the way you described Vader's fall is how I think it should have been. He should end up reveling in it's power, and while there's some of that in Episode 3, I think he should have shown that turning to the Dark Side is at first somewhat of a euphoric experience or something, just to add to the fact that it has to be tempting. I agree completely that Lucas should have hired writers because while I think his strength is coming up with concepts and plot but that the films are better when he takes more of a hands-off approach as he does in Empire. I mean, the fact that there's people who actually believe Darth Vader is a brat or feel that he's so tragic and pity him is as you said earlier disgusting. I mean, I remember hearing about people who saw ESB in theaters as children, and Darth Vader haunted their dreams when they got home. That's what Vader's supposed to be, a nearly unstoppable force of Darkness that only repents in the end when he realizes that he's become a monster, I just think that having Vader regret what he's become as early as Episode 3 doesn't work as even in Empire he still seems to honestly enjoy what he is, and he I think really believes that the Jedi are simply too weak to embrace the Dark Side. I also thought it was better when his regret was all traced to Obi-Wan rather than Padme, especially because I think the friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan was handled far, far, better than that Anakin-Padme relationship. I mean, I'm sure part of it is that Lucas apparently hasn't been with a woman since his divorce back in the 80s, but that just is another reason why hiring someone to write it would have been a good idea. I mean, I fully understand that the Anakin-Padme relationship is supposed to be a courtly romance, but you'd never see Arthur or Lancelot telling Guinevere that they don't like sand.

I remember some old ad stuff saying that Vader's apprentice was "more powerful than Vader or the Emperor." I sincerely hope that was just hyperbole, because there should only be three men who are on Vader's level and those

10. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    My Rankings Movies:
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    AOTC
    PM

Writings:
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    AOTC
    PM

Thats how I would list mine.

Yeah end of ROTS NOOOOOO, that could've been omitted out.

11. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    What was wrong with Vader saying NOoooooooooo? I had no issue with it and I'm a huge Vader fan. I have yet to get a straight answer from anyone saying what issue they had with it. Of all the things Lucas did to tear down Vader, this was not one of them.

12. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    You know, I remember back in '05 when the movie was fresh out, someone over at the SW.com boards decided to say how obnoxiously funny Vader's NOOOOOOOOO was at the end of the movie.

I said it then and still feel that this was a cry of utter anguish... it wasn't written by GL to be funny at all. If in the right mood, that cry from Vader brings me to tears.

He is in total anguish... everything he fought for, everything he loved had been taken from him. He left Tatooine a free boy and found himself nothing more than the Emperor's puppet at the end of RoTS.

He doesn't end up becoming truly free again until the end of RoTJ when Luke brings him back from the Dark Side.

Until that point, in the movies and in the EU, DV is a slave to Palps.

That had to be devastating!

13. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
  14. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    I can't think of anything right now. However I did chuckled.

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think for me it's just that showing the icon of evil of Vader in that kind of anguish, while it fits after the Prequels, it just doesn't feel right to me. I fully admit that it makes sense, but for some reason it just doesn't quite sit right with me. I'm full aware that it's not a logical response, but it just feels wrong when I think of Darth Vader yelling no because he killed his wife. He maimed his son and didn't think twice about it. It makes perfect sense based on where Vader is mentally in RotS, but doesn't fit Vader in the OT which is still what I associate he suit with, so I think that's why. It also may be that I don't think the films should try to make you feel sorry for Vader, as pity and fear don't go well together.

16. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    I agree with M_S

17. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    Wow. People that laughed at the nooooo are seemingly very sick. That's a completely inappropriate time to laugh. I agree 100% with WifeofVader

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, I definitely think the "Nooooooooo" isn't a time to laugh.

19. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
  20. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    It's not fun to laugh at, but it is fun to imitate, :p

Evil.

21. Jedi_Queen_Mx

Jedi_Queen_Mx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And how!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

Shame on you, sir.

[face_shame_on_you]

However, would his suit have poofed out like the Pilsberry Dough Boy?

[face_laugh]

22. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Nah, this isn't Rocket Man we're talking about. It'd just and up coming out his breathing device. :D

Evil.

23. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    That would be awful. He will be smelling his own toot or would he??

24. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh definitely.

Well, now we know why Vader was so angry all the time.

25. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Talk about bad breath, no wonder people fell over when in close proximity to him.

Evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.