main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Darth Vader Fan Club

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Evil Incarnate, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Hello fellow Vader followers!

He's got a ventillator, not ventilation. =P

We are so bad. LOL

I am getting weather like Kamino up my way right now. It was scary a bit ago.... sky turned dark black/green and everything and we don't often get tornado's up this way.

2. obiwankenobilover

obiwankenobilover Jedi Master star 5

Mar 15, 2003

Poor Vader, were sure picking on him, better stop before he force chokes all of us.

3. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    And I don't think that this would have happened if the prequels would have not come out. I think the vast majority of Star Wars fans worshipped the ground Vader walked on. With only Obiwan's vague references to Anakin, fans interptered Anakin in their own way; but as the prequels show Lucas seemed to have figured him as someone else. Personally, I still worship the ground Vader walks on because of the RotS. RotS Anakin/Vader is absolutely perfect to me. PERFECT. But I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed any part of Anakin/Vader in the prequels and still carry the same (if not more) respect for him in the classic trilogy. Since the prequels have been released, it's been a popular thing to attack Star Wars and George Lucas. And for good reason. We all know the acting and directing were well below par for at least TPM and AotC. I've often wondered how the response to Vader's (and to a lesser extent the films, though I think the answer is obvious)characterization would have been if Lucas had just came up with the plot and handed the project over to Spielberg and a capable writer. The writing is especially flawed, and it left Anakin's articulation a joke at some points. Does Lucas have a vision of Anakin that his inabilities as an director/writer were unable to fully expose to the camera? Possibly. Because he took a hit, I've never seen more critism get piled on one man like that. I have to believe that some nights Lucas stays up and curses himself for being unable to explain Anakin's (prequel) story better. Because I can't believe Lucas set out with the intention to transform Anakin/Darth Vader into what people think of him today.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    See, I'm not sure it's quite as universal though. I was in my stage-combat class and the teacher was trying to get someone to be able to act mean, he said "Think of a movie character that's nasty" and someone else in the class said "Darth Vader" and no one questioned it. Everyone simply agreed that Vader's a nasty, evil, character. I still think OT Vader is the single greatest villain in the history of cinema, but I think Prequel Vader falls short. I think that Prequel Anakin works fine, the problem I think comes in that character transitioning into the man we see in the Original Trilogy.

5. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    But I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed any part of Anakin/Vader in the prequels and still carry the same (if not more) respect for him in the classic trilogy.

I am one of those few as well. Of course, I am of the breed that feel in love with him in 1977 BEFORE I knew who was behind the mask (in other words, I fell in love with Vader as he was in the OT without knowing the pretty boy Anakin that he would be depicted as in the PT).

I think that Anakin is a whining boy who pouts when he doesn't get what he wants (reminds me of MY son... LOL). Anakin/Vader - well know, that's a different story.

Still, I like the Vader we know and love from the OT. The one we really don't see until ANH.

I am just about finished with Dark Lord finally and it is still depicting the Vader with conflict... almost as though it isn't VADER in the suit but rather still Anakin/DV.
    Not the bad @$$ from the OT.

6. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    How could the transition have been different? Vader couldn't openly choose the dark side, he had to be manipulated into and the dark side brings forth the evil within his own heart. I found nothing wrong with Anakin/Vader in RotS. I think that Lucas (purposely or unpurposely)allowed Anakin's slaughter of younglings overshadow his other actions, but that was about it for me.

Wait until you get to the end.

7. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    When we, some of us first saw OT in 77 it was already 20yrs had gone by after ROTS. All we have to do is wait to see what happens. From these new tv shows that will be coming out and also books. I am sure some of them will start to show, fall into place how he becomes the villain we grown to love.

Thats me.

8. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    RotS Vader worked for me, but I don't know I guess it's just that Vader being created because of his love for Padme seems odd to me given that Vader cut off Luke's hand without any regret. It just seems odd to me that as Vader he would have that kind of love for his family, he needs to have it before his fall, and I guess that could be the last vestage of Anakin before he becomes Vader fully, as that's also what Luke brings back in Jedi.

9. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    [/quote]RotS Vader worked for me, but I don't know I guess it's just that Vader being created because of his love for Padme seems odd to me given that Vader cut off Luke's hand without any regret. It just seems odd to me that as Vader he would have that kind of love for his family, he needs to have it before his fall, and I guess that could be the last vestage of Anakin before he becomes Vader fully, as that's also what Luke brings back in Jedi.[/quote]

Was it really about Padme though?

My perception is very selfish of Anakin. Everything he did because HE was afraid to lose her. HE couldn't lose her. HE wouldn't lose her the way that HE lost HIS mother.

It's all about him and what he wanted. That's exactly what got him in trouble.

As was mentioned, I can only hope that the books, the TV shows, etc. develop Vader over the years between RoTS & ANH. From what I've read, even though they are going to bridge the gap between the movies, the TV shows are not focusing on the Skywalkers (including our beloved Lord Vader) but rather on everything else going on in those 20 years.

Guess we will just have to wait and find out.

I still say that a SW 3.5 needs to be made and be entitled "The Rise of the Empire".

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Hmm, if it's Vader acting out of selfishness in RotS that would certainly be far more like Lord Vader and would alieviate my only real problem with RotS Vader.

11. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Next time you watch RoTS, pay attention to everything that Anakin says... there's a lot of selfishness in everything he mentions.

"I can't lose her."

"I won't lose you the way I lost my Mother."

"Don't... I need him!"

"I will do what ever you ask... " (he actually says this more than once in the PT)

It's all about what Anakin wants and needs. He doesn't look at the consequence, just the immediate emotion.

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I knew the Palpatine part was selfishness and now that you mentioned it it seems fairly obvious that it's just Anakin's selfishness and desire to hold power over others rather than love.

13. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    LOL... now that I am thinking about the entire PT, most everything that he does and says is about HIM.

Sometimes, I think we analyze the movies too much.... but, it's so much fun to hear other opinions. Sometimes you even realize that there is something you've missed all the times you've watched the movies!

14. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    A cool find from CNN this morning....

http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=1701869899&pt=Y

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I saw that on Digg awhile ago, but I love that balloon. It'd be hilarious though to see all of the people in the rainbow colored balloons and then Vader's helmet.

16. obiwankenobilover

Mar 15, 2003
    Now that was cool.

17. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    So, in an effort to keep this thread going, I just wanted to pop by to let you know that I finished the Dark Lord book. It was surprising ....

***SPOILER ALERT***

.... I couldn't for the life of me, as I was reading about the attack on Kashyyyk, figure out why they were capturing the wookiees! I couldn't believe it when I figured out that they were rounding them up to be the slave workers constructing the Death Star!

DV had conflict all the way until the very end. Isn't it funny though that it took the Jedi to turn him to the Dark Side and then the Jedi to free him from it.

Can't wait for the Death Star book, simply entitled "Death Star" to come out next year. Should be interesting!

18. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    I saw that on the news a few days ago. That is sheer awesomeness right there. [face_mischief]

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, I don't think I'd have expected them to enslave the Wookiees if I hadn't read some of the other EU material where the Wookiees had been enslaved(such as the things that say the way Han met Chewie is that Han rescued him from slavery.) I'm looking forward to Death Star too, though I may not end up reading it.

20. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I am actually thinking of reading the Han series next. I hadn't decided between that or the Boba Fett series. Eventually I want to read the Darth Bane book(s?) too since I am more interested in the Sith side. However, since I already have the Han & Boba series, I figured I would continue with those. =)

As far as the Death Star book goes, I will probably read it as there is so much confusion, until recently, about how they came about, who the builders were, etc., etc.

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, I definitely need to read the Han Solo Trilogy. I'm mainly reading Legacy of the Force right now, but after that I may read it.

22. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I've heard great things about the Legacy series.... it's on my list! LOL

My son is into the Jedi Apprentice books... he's 7.

23. Orliaan-Nabberie

Dec 17, 2005
    The Han Solo trilogy looks neat. More books to add to my list! :p

I'm reading the Thrawn trilogy right now, though I'm only about 2/3 of the way through Heir to the Empire. I really like it, though.

24. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Ah, I've heard mixed things about those, but it's cool that he's into reading them at a young age.

Yeah, the Thrwan Trilogy is one of the best pieces of EU lit imo.

25. Orliaan-Nabberie

Dec 17, 2005
    Yeah; it's excellent. I've been reading it for a while, but I love it so far. Zahn really captures the feeling of the movies very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.