main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Darth Vader Fan Club

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Evil Incarnate, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    With me it was the Original Trilogy for sure. The sheer power he radiated as well as his awesome voice and suit were likely the main draws for me. I definitely prefer Lord Vader(ie: suited Vader) to Vaderkin as I think that the latter lacks the regal and in someways even honorable aspects of Vader in the Original Trilogy. I still think my favorite Vader moment is when Luke walks into the Carbon Freezing Chamber and we see Vader's silhouette standing there completely still with his breathing echoing throughout the chamber. There's also the great lines throughout the duel such as "Impressive, most impressive, but you are not a Jedi yet." and "Your destiny lies with me, Skywalker."

2. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    yeah. I loved him in ESB hence why I think ESB is the best of the OT.

3. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think ESB is definitely the best of the OT from a technical, directing, and acting perspective though I prefer RotJ.

4. Holycross

Holycross Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2006
    Hello,
    I would like to ask some of you a few questions:

I am guessing the Rubie's Darth Vader supreme is the one to get? What about cost? I noticed last year I was seeing most go on EBay for about $500.00, now I am seeing places selling them for $700+, is there a difference in the supreme from last year to this year? Any ideas to help the appearance of the costume within a few weeks?

Where is the best place to go for the best price? I am head of a youth organization that is a charitbable/non profit, a 501 (3)(c), we are having a Halloween party with a Stars Wars theme for teens and preteens as part of a fundraiser. We emailed Rubies and told them about our charitbable/non profit, a 501 (3)(c) status hoping they would give us a supreme Vader at wholesale. Unfortunately they said we didn't meet there requirements for wholesale and said they can sell us one for $750.00, unfortunately we cannot afford that much as this is a fundraiser and we are trying to help out these kids in our organization. I can say we were at least a little disappointed in Rubies for not at least considering selling to us at wholesale, we did give them all of our information concerning our charitable/non profit 510 (3)(c) status.

Anyone have any connections to get a good price on a supreme? Or know where we may be able to go?

Thanks!

5. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I've got no idea, I've looked into the Supreme but I haven't been able to find anything less than the 1,000 they're asking for on the starwarsshop.com store.

6. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    I would shop around your local Halloween costume shops or other costume venues that rent costumes.... perhaps if you explain that it is for a charity event they will reduce the cost of the rental or, better yet, give you a rental for free!

Good luck and post pix!

7. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    If all you need is a Vader but don't have any specific person in mind for being in the suit you could also contact the 501st, they often do charity events.

8. Jedi-knight-25

Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2007
    Darth Vader is the coolest sith in the movies! :D

I want to post this picture because I find it funny! [face_laugh]

[image=http://www.starwars.com/community/fun/caption/2004/03/img/caption134.jpg]

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
  10. ErikaVader

ErikaVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh awesome! Count me in please! Vader's always been my favourite SW character. I saw the films out of order at first, and I think it was ESB that really got me into him. I know it was the voice. The costume too. Made me a Goth at age 7. I love the raw power, but also the complexity of the character - that there's more to him than just a straight-forward bad guy.

$750 to $1000? Yikes!

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, I've wanted a Darth Vader Supreme Edition costume ever since it was released but the price has stopped me from buying it.

12. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Good to see the thread up and running again. I recently purchased a Vader Master Replica Force FX saber at a local movie store for only 99 bucks. Picked up the Death Star novel, its great to see Vader being a bad### instead of the more conflicted character he has recently become in the EU. While he isn't the main character, there isn't a real one it is really a series of looks into the lives of people involved in the DS Project. It's always good to see how scared imperial troops were of Vader as well as how much in awe of him they were at the same time.

13. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I may have to get Death Star then, I figured it would be the conflicted and sad Vader.

14. ErikaVader

Sep 14, 2007
    Hey I just bought a Vader light-saber too! Yay for E-bay! It's the Master Replicas one of his saber from ESB, because that duel has always been one of my favourites - it and the one in ROTJ.

Wifeofvader. Thanks so much for posting that huge reading list! Wow! I had no idea there were so many books out there! And I'm glad to know that some of them feature sith, and even our own favourite Vader.

Yeh I didn't care for TPM and AOTC either, although I have to admit that I unreservedly loved ROTS. Wow! Although I have to admit that I don't like Haiden(sp?) Christianson(sp?)'s speaking voice. But yeh, the acting and especially the dialogue in the first two was severely lame. Still like the OT best though.

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I like TPM and AotC but I like RotS a lot more and the OT a good deal more than that partially because of the presence of Darth Vader in RotS and the OT.

16. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    I like Vader. I'll join.

17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Welcome. :)

I have to say I can't wait for The Force Unleashed. I wish the Vader voice actor sounded more like James Earl Jones but the opportunity to see Vader in the suit teaching and hopefully eventually killing his secret apprentice sounds like it'll be great.

18. ErikaVader

Sep 14, 2007
    Not that I'll ever likely play a video-game, but I'm sorry to hear that a different voice-actor will be playing Vader. Nobody does that voice like James Earl Jones. That was one of the few downers of the radio-dramas. The Vader was good, even brilliant in certain spots. But in other spots the inflection and resonance weren't quite right, especially in some of the classic lines like in the Bespin duel.

I'm also sorry to hear this rumour that the game will portray him as weak, especially as weaker than his own apprentice. Of course, I can't imagine Vader picking an apprentice who wasn't very powerful and strong in the force in his or her own right. But Vader just shouldn't be wimpy. Sad even while he enjoys his darkness, ruthlessness and violence, yes. Having a line of said traits that he won't cross because of his own sense of honour or lingering morality, yes. Complex, yes. I prefer him that way. It makes him more realistic to me, and makes him more atractive than if he were a straight, completely heartless, total villain like Palpetine. But he should have both physical strenghth and great charisma. He should absolutely not come across as a pathetic, except in the sense of pathos, wimp. Strong and charismatic, even while with sadness and even some regret, is how I always pictured him back before the PT came out, and he should stay that way because, to me, that's the real essence of the character.

Anyway, there I am on my soap-box again! LOL I'll get off it now and go watch ESB.

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I haven't heard the radio dramas but the games have typically been similar. The voices were good, but not James Earl Jones. The one in The Force Unleashed trailer though is just awful. I mean, I wouldn't have thought it was Darth Vader if I hadn't known the context of the game.

As did I. I loved Darth Vader because while he was an incredibly powerful villain he also projected a sense of a twisted sense of honor that most villains don't possess and Palpatine definitely lacks. I'm hoping that Vader's injuries aren't inflicted by the Apprentice, but possibly by Palpatine or by the Apprentice alongside numerous Jedi Knights and Masters. The Secret Apprentice is certainly powerful, but no one other than possibly Palpatine should be more powerful than Darth Vader, and even then Vader should be a far more frightening character than Palpatine is.

20. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I also think Vader should of been the most fearful villian and he displayed that in the OT ..i was scared to death of him..i always thought he was top dog.

Jedi-Knight-25
    [face_laugh] pic. poor elmo!

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    When I was younger I thought Darth Vader was more powerful than the Emperor but was loyal to him for honor or something.

22. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    As i mentioned in another thread..I dont even remember the emperor and I was 8.
    I just remembered Vader so that's got to say something for the top dog!

23. ErikaVader

Sep 14, 2007
    Hehehe! All the fond memories!

I always remember believing that the Emperor was more powerful than Vader, because I always got the sense from ROTJ that Vader on some level feared the Emperor. That was in part because of the part where Yoda says "Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your Father's fate you will.". Before I saw the prequels, I remember that that line always lead me to believe that the Emperor had kind of tortured Vader into turning to the dark side, perhaps with force-lightning, parallel to its use on Luke, and that that was why Vader feared the Emperor.

But in terms of sheer raw power, no, I see very few other Jedi or Sith, except for Luke, his son, and the likes of Yoda, being as powerful as Vader. I just love the parts in Dark Lord the Rise of Darth Vader where you see him begin to become accustomed to his new body, that's got to take a lot, and to rediscover his power. Particularly, the light-saber throw part and the scenes on Kashik. Now there's our Vader! And Oli Starstone gives me a pain.

Anyway, hope there weren't too many spoilers in that for those who haven't read it yet, and do excuse my long-winded musings!

24. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I, too, like seeing Vader kick everyone's butt - rightly he should, being as powerful as he is. While I love Vader appearing in comics and books - as often as possible! - there is a problem with pitting him against the heroes of whatever arc it might be, because they are expected to win, on the Big Bad Chosen Sith Lord's expense. I won't be happy if the Secret Apprentice manages to all but beat Vader, and I have some concerns about Death Star because apparently some people manages to outfly him. Huh? Come again... Obviously he can't win all the time, but...

It's the ever-present problem of villains in comic books. They have to be defeated in each issue, which makes them look weaker - and after some time you start wondering how they can even pose a threat when they're so obviously pretty lame.

Strange. I think I have valid points, but somehow I managed to sound utterly ridiculous. How come? Never mind...

25. ErikaVader

Sep 14, 2007
    Ha! I'll try posting this again now while my browser's in a good mood!

Anyway, no Queengoddess, your making perfect sense. I find that too. I mean, let's face it. The bad guys are often, and certainly this is true in the case of Darth Vader, way sexier and more striking and alluring than the good-guys. And yet, because of the duelist nature of most of our stories, the bad guys always have to be defeated or redeemed. And as you pointed out, their being defeated repeatedly makes them look weak, and their getting redeemed causes them to loose a lot of that sexiness which comes from the dark side. I mean, can you think of any good-guy who has anything like the sheer presence of Vader? I can't, SW or otherwise.Except possibly for Gandalf and Galadriel in LOTR, but they don't have the raw sex-appeal that Vader does by far.

It's a problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.