main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC ~The ***OFFICIAL*** DC:GS 1-Year Anni. Picnic: Sept. 13th, 12:30 PM at Lake Accotink~

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MuttandSolo, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Two of you are going to be in NC? Maybe we should have the picnic in NC then! :p Well, we still have enough people for a nice cozy get-together. If I had an actual yard or something, I'd offer it up and save us the trouble of figuring out where to do this... but I don't so I can't. :D

I think this was going to be a pot luck thing all along anyway, so no problem there. I will figure out what I'm bringing and post tomorrow. Also, Liz and I will figure out the cake. :)

2. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Here's the 2 locations I'd suggest:

Haines Point. Where that creepy Awakening statue is. It's in DC.

That big park on the GW Parkway between Mt. Vernon and Old Town Alexandria. I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the name. Ft. Something.

Anyone?

3. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
  4. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Ft. Belvoir? Isn't that on a military base?

5. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    I think Eugenia means Fort Hunt. It looks like a pretty big park, only one picnic area for unreserved groups though. Also, it seems they are doing some repaving/construction so I don't know how that would affect things.

Would you believe I can't find an 'official' site for Haines Point/East Potomac Park?

For anyone interested in cruising for parks, I've been looking here and here.

Mutt, can you change the name of this thread to reflect the date?

6. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    Is Leesylvania too far for everyone?

7. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Where is Leesylvania?

I was looking at Lake Accotink in Springfield and a couple others in the Alexandria area... Some have mini golf and stuff so that would be cool.

Also, I am thinking we should have our Sept. meeting at the picnic. I don't think we'll do it at the Ren Fest and I doubt everyone will be able to (or want to) do something THREE weekends in a row!

8. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    Leesylavania is Woodbridge. but I think Lake Accotink is a better suggestion!

besides you have to rent the picnic area at Leesylvania...

9. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    We're lucky we can meet twice in a month with everyone being sooo "busy".

10. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Thanks Jeff.

You have to rent picnic space for all places if you have a certain amount of people. But we won't have that many, so it's going to end up being a first come, first serve. If the covered areas aren't reserved aleady, a lot of places will let you use them first come, first serve. We could call some of the places to see if they have any large groups that will be hogging up the facilities.

11. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Do you think a place can be picked out by Wednesday. This way, you can advertise it on the main page and maybe others can come. Not to mention, it eases confusion if we pick one soon and not have to wait until Friday to find out where we are meeting.

12. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes, that is the idea. Which is why I've spent most of my morning looking at websites for parks, etc instead of working. Which is why I need to get some work done now. :D

13. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Lake Accontink sounds fine to me - I can do some looking when I get home tonight, too, presuming I can find a chair to sit on at my computer.

14. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    I think Christa and I are a no. I'm working most weekends with REI these days (everyone come visit me!). I've even been scheduled for the 20th :eek: but I'm trying to get out of that.

15. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    make sur someone posts directions OK I don't know where any of these places are

16. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    We will Sharon, wouldn't want you to get lost! :D

I will try to drive through Accotink today since it is (sorta) on my way home from work. Anyone else have other locations to suggest or opinions?

Also, what time are we aiming to do this? Is it going to be a morning/early afternoon or late afternoon thing? Either way someone will have to get there early to scope out a good area. :)

17. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I think this sounds like the best place - mini golf and a carousel and paddle boats!!

I can probably get there around noon to scope out a place, unless someone else gets there earlier.

18. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I would think you would want to have the pinic starting about 12:30 or 1:00. That way you have the whole day to enjoy.

19. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    Hello I will be there on Saturday. I am willing to bring anything Do we need a cooler ice? Sodas? I can bring hotdogs and rolls Or if there is not a grill there I can bring ham bread stuff for sandwiches. I just need to know if we are grilling.
    So to begin I will bring a cooler with sodas both diet and regular.
    I am bringing more I just need to know about grilling. we would need charcoal and such so son as we know let me know.

20. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Sharon, a cooler with drinks would be great!

I do believe Lake Accotink (if we decide to go with that, looks like our best option at the moment) has grills. (Does anyone have a little portable one just incase?)

So far we have:
    Jeff: burgers (and rolls?)
    Sha: cooler w/ ice & drink, possibly some hot dogs
    Me & TK: plates/napkins/utensils, a few different kinds of chips and probably some sort of dessert
    The GS: a cake :)

Anyone else?

21. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    If I can make it, I'll bring chips. However, my Saturday is just not looking good at the moment. Also, if I do show-up it will be late in the day after you have eaten.

22. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Don't sweat it, Ric. If you can make it, just bring room for cake! :)

23. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Ken and I have a little grill, so we'll bring that and the charcoal and grilling utensils. We can bring some other munchies, tater salad or something like that as well.

24. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    ok i have a slight problem. My family want to give my mom a birthday lunch. I'll still show up but it will have to be later like 2 or so. Sorry. :(

25. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Lunch? I thought people were supposed to get birthday dinners...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.