Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MuttandSolo, Apr 28, 2003.
yeah well apparently everyone has plans that night. I can't win.
So it's okay to cater to everyone's plan but yours... I see.
Well, as long as you can make it at some point.
oh I'll be there. don't worry.
I can bring some chips and maccarroni salad or potatoe salad. I will definatly bring hot dogs and buns as well as mustard relish all the fixings I do not have a port grill.
what else do we need? tell me and i'll bring it.
Ok people, Heather and I cruised through Lake Accotink last night. It does seem to be a nice spot, the only thing hampering it would be if there are tons of other groups planning to be there. As far as reservable picnic areas, they have 3 sheltered areas, 3 unsheltered and 2 tents. If any of these aren't reserved, we should be able to have access to them first come, first serve. Also, there are some other picnic tables/grills that don't appear to be reservable (of course no one was there so we couldn't ask). Anyway, if that is the case, we should be able to snag a couple of tables and a grill with no problem.
Just about all of the unsheltered tables are in a wooded area near the lake so all are shaded nicely. They are also near the carousel/mini golf/boating, etc. so that is convenient as well. The only drawback is parking. There are very few spot actually near the picnic areas, but there is a large lot nearby (about a 5 minute walk away).
So what do you guys think?
Sounds grand to me!
yep, sounds good! oh and btw, I can show up on time now because we are doing a birthday breakfast instead of lunch. My mom didn't want me to miss the picnic.
How nice of mom!
So if no one objects to the place, we need a time and then I can submit this shindig to the ff site.
how about 1 or 1:30?
Maybe a little earlier to ensure that we get a table... 12:30-4:30 perhaps? I plan to get there around 12 (and maybe I actually will... heh heh). I think Eugenia said they would try to get there early too? Maybe we need Ken to bring his pirate flag so we can mark our spot easily.
ok, sounds good. so where is this park exactly?
Springfield/Annandale. It's not too hard to get to... I'll post directions, etc tomorrow.
We'll bring flag, grill, charcoal, and some sort of food. Some sort of side dish and veggies, I suppose. And we can get there by 12. Hopefully. If we can find it.
I'm bringing the meat
Where's our directions?
Directions coming shortly. Chill out, Thursday is meeting day. You all are lucky I'm gracing you with my presence at all!
Yes, your High and Mightiness
You can also check the Fairfax County Parks and Recreation website for directions.
Edit: From the website:
Lake Accotink may be reached from I-95 by taking Old Keene Mill Rd. west to right on Hanover Ave. to left on Highland Ave. to right on Accotink Park Rd. to front entrance on left
If you want to try Mapquest, here is the address:
7500 Accotink Park Road
Springfield, Virginia 22151
I will post alternate directions tomorrow incase anyone is interested. I think the the ones they give are a little convoluted.
Ok Jeff is bringing meat.
I am bringing the following so everyone knows.:
hotdogs and buns
cooler with sodas
I work till 8 pm tomarrow so I will not get to check this post till late.
Ok are we still having this picnic if it is raining? Just checking so I can go to the store after work I can't talk long the cyber cops will be watching.
My internet at work is painfully slow today for some reason, so this could possibly be my only post today. Grrrrrr. Anyway...
Here are my version of the directions to Lake Accotink:
1) From the beltway, get off at 395 North.
2) From 395, Take the exit for Edsall Road West.
3) Merge onto Edsall Road and follow it until it ends at a traffic light.
4) Take a left onto Backlick Road (a scary name for a road).
5) Drive a couple miles down Backlick. You will pass a McDonalds on the right and later a Burger King on the left. (A keen eye will eventually spot a brown sign indicating the turn for Accotink Park on the right.)
6) When Backlick goes from two to three lanes (and there is an elementary school on the left), the next traffic light is Highland Avenue. Take a right onto Highland Avenue.
7) Drive through the residential area a little ways. Go straight through the stop sign.
8) A little bit after the stop sign there is a fork in the road. Taking it to the right will lead you to the park. (Also the big brown sign that says "Lake Accotink Park" with an arrow pointing to the right should be a good indication of where you should be going.)
9) Drive a little ways and the park entrance is on your left.
10) Once inside the park, you have to drive down a twisty woodsy road. There will be a left turn into the park office, don't turn there! Later you will come to a large parking lot on the left. That is likely where you will have to park. If you keep driving you will come to the marina/picnic area. There are a few limited spaces, you might get one if you are lucky. If not, you can probably drop off food or whatever before you go park.
Off the top of my head (because I can't check...), here is what we have so far:
Jeff: meat (for hamburgers)
Me & TK: plates/napkins/utensils, Doritos (cuz all get-togethers should have them), stuff for s'mores (cuz TK insists)
Sha: Cooler w/ ice & drinks, chips, and (I think?) macaroni salad
K&E: tater salad or some such stuff, possibly veggies?
Lizzie: Dunno. If Jeff isn't bringing buns (can't remember) then we need those. Bring whatever we need that isn't already on the list.
Anyone can feel free to update/add to this list because I don't think I'll be able to.
Also, it seems they are calling for rain tomorrow... Typical. The reports I've seen are rain in the AM with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. I'm hoping the AM rain will be actually in the AM, which means it won't affect us too much (and hopefully it will deter others from going there, heh). I am not planning to cancel unless there is a monsoon. But if anyone else has thoughts, please let me know. Or let Lizzie know and she can call me since my internet BLOWS. I don't even know if this post will go through! The situation here at work is making me homicidal.
hang in there Val!
I say we go on rain or shine!! Look at it this way, if it's raining, only the truly desperate will picnic and we'll get a covered space!
Ken and I will bring a grill, charcoal, all that cooking the food requires, plus some veggies and dip, and "What's Taters, Precious" Salad. And maybe some other stuff too, like another side dish or cookies or something. Whatever inspires me at the store in the morning!
remember I am bringing hot dogs and buns and maccarroni salad as well as soda ice I will be there rain or shine if everyone else is there.