main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The official dead characters in the ST poll

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Seagoat, Jun 16, 2013.

?

Which of these characters should die some time in the ST?

1. Luke

61 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. Leia

27 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Han

54 vote(s)
    60.7%
  4. Chewbacca

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. Lando

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. C-3PO

12 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. R2-D2

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. Wedge

22 vote(s)
    24.7%
  9. Other (Write below)

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not at all what I said.

The PP indicated that the Big Three should be character-shielded because they shouldn't be brought back after 30 years only to be killed. My response had nothing to do with their age and everything to do with the fact that there is not a need for a character shield simply because a character hasn't been seen on screen since 1983.

Also not the point I was making. It's hardly fair to say that all teenagers misbehave, much less that all teenagers are annoying. Stereotyping an entire age group? Really?

Why should I have to read a psychology journal for a character's development to make sense? Not that it's working anyway. As I've said in the TV forum--every single character fought that war, but Ahsoka was the only one who went from snippy and fun to a know-it-all who was treated like the Wise One by the other characters. Anakin's character development over the prequels makes sense in the context of war; hell, Barriss Offee's character development makes more sense than Ahsoka's in that context, and hers was horrible.

2. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Han in VII, no one in VIII, maybe Luke in IX to mirror Yoda in VI. But I really don't wanna see my hero die.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

And then Chewie's brother will avenge the death of Chewie by using a blaster that had been taped to the back of a toilet in a restaurant.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. This is my biggest problem with everyone wanting to see Luke die. He's been my all-time favorite character since I was 8 years old. I don't want him to die; why would anyone want to see a childhood hero get knocked off? It's also the reason I want to see Luke married and with at least one child (son or daughter; I want son but I will accept daughter). He deserves happiness, and it's natural to want a childhood hero to be happy.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Because that's what happens to everybody eventually?

Since when does "happy" mean "married"?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm married and I'm not happy. :(

7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    a) Just because it does happen doesn't mean we want it to happen to our hero in front of our eyes.
    b) I didn't mean to imply you had to be married to be happy. I just personally want to see Luke married, and think he would be happy if he were.

I don't want to get into relationship woes. I know marriages don't work for everybody, and if you don't want to get married–hey, fine! It's your life and your choice. But I think a lot of marriage problems come from different assumptions about marriage beforehand, and a saying I've heard: "Marriage is 50/50 effort." Wrong. Marriage has to be 100% from both sides to work. I've seen it with my parents, and I've seen it with many of their friends. You can't give 50% and expect the spouse to give the other 50%. You have to give your all, and then even if your spouse isn't (which they should be) then there's still 100% effort going into the relationship. Maybe that's why some people don't think "happy" when they hear "married." But I do, and that's what I want to see. You may not want to see it and you don't equate marriage and happiness. That's fine, and I understand it. But I would certainly be far more upset if Luke were divorced/never married than if he were married; if he were I'd be overjoyed. But that's just my preference. You have yours and I understand that. When the time comes, one of us will be disappointed, and honestly I have no idea which one.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, dude...don't try to lecture me about marriage, or presume that if people follow Formula X, their marriages will be happy. And I'm not even going to dignify the idea that people are to be blamed for failed marriages because they "didn't put enough effort into it" with a response...if I did, I'd be in multiple TOS violations.

That is all.

And if you think your "childhood hero" is immortal, I don't know what to tell you.

Darth Claire likes this.
  9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    To make sure it gets done right and is a respectful end to such a great character.

Unless you want the EU to handle it (and they will if the ST doesn't), and have another moon fall to kill another character...

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I wasn't trying to lecture you, really I wasn't, I was just trying to tell you my opinion. And I know following a formula won't make a perfect marriage; no marriage is perfect. And if both spouses are giving 100% and still the marriage fails...then maybe they weren't destined to be together. Look, I'm really trying to sympathize with you. I am. But I guess our beliefs about life are just vastly different.

As to my childhood hero being immortal. If he's dead, I want him to die off-screen between trilogies. No reason for him to bite it to show "this is a bad dude." Or for any reason, really. I want him to live. He should die like Yoda, but that death should be off-screen. He doesn't need to be killed.

11. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Off-screen deaths in a franchise like Star Wars means an EU death. Luke deserves better than having his fate decided in the EU.

Darth Claire likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    But would you rather his death mean something to the saga and be dignified or as EviL_eLF pointed out would like a freakin' moon dropped on his head. I know which one I'd choose.

Darth Claire and EviL_eLF like this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I hope not. Luke should have a timeless feel to him whenever he appears; he can be hurt, badly, but he can never really die in any appearance he makes. Now, I won't decry the ST if Luke does die, but I'll probably cry shamelessly in the theater.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A well-done character death can provoke tears and often does.

EviL_eLF and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Which would do exactly what something like that should... add a LOT of emotion and draw you that much more into the film and thus make the film that much better!

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    But it wouldn't make it better if he died, at least for me. It can be an awesome movie without killing him off. It wouldn't make it worse, but it wouldn't make it better. For some it would, and again, I won't spit on the movies and say J.J. Abrams is the worst thing to happen to Star Wars, but I will definitely be very sad. My dad loved Tron Legacy, for example, but he said the death of Flynn disappointed him. Not in a good way, i.e. makes you care about the other characters and like the movie, but just made him feel like it was totally unnecessary.

17. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want Luke's death to be something soo emotionally powerful and sad that we all cry for hours and are all traumatized more than we were with Red Wedding (nah thats not possible because I doubt Disney has the balls to outdo that and nothing can beat Red Wedding). I want to be emotionally impacted! I hate these movie deaths that dont bring a single tear to my eye but then again it seems like the only deaths that bring any form of emotional reaction from me are from Game of Thrones or Star Trek

18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    It would make it a better quality film simply because of the raw emotions evoked by a scene in the film. When film or theater can evoke such raw emotions, that absolutely makes suspension of disbelief that much easier to obtain, thus you forget even more that you are indeed watching a film.

So yes, the on screen death of Luke Skywalker could easily make it a better film.

A good comparison would be Dumbledore's death in Harry Potter.

19. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Unless he dies patheticly *just killed in an explosion* or like in the first 10 minutes dies *like he Jor-els it. Has an epic fight with the villain, dies, and somehow the new hero survives, grows up and becomes all "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" to the villain in which case that would be both disappointing and awesome* :p

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I certainly don't relish seeing Luke Skywalker die and I know when it happens I will shed a tear or two. But I also know that it will be a pivotal moment for the saga not only for the audience but for the characters as well. It will be just as much a low moment for them as it will be for us and it will make it all the more sweeter when they rise to the occasion and succeed in defeating whatever this new threat is.

EviL_eLF and Darth Claire like this.
  21. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    And you can kinda say Spock's death in Wrath of Khan cause wasn't he in the same boat Luke is in? Fans assumed he was too iconic to die but low and behold...he did. And in both cases...they both technicly aren't gone forever *Spock was ressurected and Luke will most likely become a force ghost*
    EDIT: I also hope that when/if Luke dies we all dont go freaking insane and start harasshing/stalking/sending hate mail and death threats to those we feel responsible (like George, Abrams, Arndt, heck even the villain actor). I can definitly see Luke's death causing a LOT of mass hysteria

EviL_eLF likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    And that would be the only reason Luke's death could be something that wouldn't cause me to be totally angry. I can see him again as a Force ghost.

23. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I think its highly likely he'll return as a force ghost and we'll continue to see him throughout the rest of the trilogy

24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Luke as a Force Ghost is also an inevitible final chapter for the greatest Jedi of all time. ;)

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Preach!