Amph The OFFICIAL Doctor Who Episode Countdown - Nos. 3 & 4

Discussion in 'Community' started by halibut, Nov 1, 2011.

1. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, I know, I've tried to grasp at the same straws. But she did say he'd given her images of all his incarnations, and I can't imagine he wouldn't have put them in order for her :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  2. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Ah, but she didn't say "you gave me images of all your incarnations", but "I have pictures of all your incarnations". ;) She probably acquired them by somehow digging through the TARDIS' archives, and the TARDIS (being somewhat fuzzy on the chronological order of things, as demonstrated in The Doctor's Wife) gave her the pictures without order. And even if it was the Doctor who gave River the pictures - he could've deliberately mix them out of order, for this exact reason. :p
  3. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    She might have pulled them from an Atraxi visual database, if that EYE that got scolded in the 11th Hour took a recording.
  4. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    She might have Smith's A Journal of Impossible Things.
  5. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Sure, but River knows from her own experience that Eleven will grow out of being early days (he's the incarnation that marries her, after all). So for her to think an incarnation after Eleven could still be early days is kind of ludicrous.

And that's not even taking into account that she seems to understand that Asgard happens before the Byzantium for the Doctor.

At this point, I think it's better to assume that at least a large chunk of Season 5 (and possibly 6) "originally" happened with Ten. The Doctor, no doubt, remembers both versions of his history. "Everyone's memory is a mess", after all. :)

Hell, I have a pet theory that everything we've seen in NuWho originally happened with Seven, until an enemy (also responsible for the series cancellation!) manipulated his timestream to make him silly enough to get shot in the States. 8-}

Don't we all? :p
  6. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Honestly, it's one of those things there really isn't a solution for. I'm guessing Moffat just really hoped he could get Tennant to stay on a bit longer and it just didn't happen. The continuity error is annoying, but it's far from the first continuity error in the world's loosest canon :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  7. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Sure there's a solution! :p

"a television series which embraces both the ideas of parallel universes and the concept of changing time can't have a continuity error ? it's impossible for Doctor Who to get it wrong, because we can just say 'he changed time ? it's a time ripple from the Time War'" - Moffat
  8. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Except that all parallel realities have been closed off!!! Pay attention Moffat!

(well, unless your name is "Rose Tyler", in which case you can do whatever the flib you want, so long as it is soap-opera-y)
  9. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    What part of wibbly wobbly timey wimey don't you understand?

:p
  10. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I really wanted them at the conclusion of Journey's End instead of saying the rift was now closing forever for the Doctor to just be like, "Ok, I'm closing this rift but I am done saying 'forever' since clearly that's not true." Just in general, I don't think the Doctor should make proclamations about anything being impossible anymore :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  11. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd love to see "classic" cybermen updated, then show up to kick the new cybermen's metal backsides. Maybe the alt-universe cybermen can get an upgrade.
    Those high-altitude flight suits were pretty darn good. Just don't use the metalized/chrome helmets from Silver Nemesis.
  12. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't think her Byzantium comment is that big of a deal. She had lots of adventures with different incarnations of the Doctor, which is why she has to keep the journal. As she's flipping through the journal, she starts mentioning events to try to place a time frame on this current version of the Doctor. She's not putting much thought in the events she mentions and if she stopped an thought about them, she may realize, oh, that was with 11. There are lots of times that I try to think back to things I did with my close friends, and can't place who was there.
  13. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah I mean it doesn't bother me too much, particularly since I understand the behind the scenes reason it happened as well.

One thing, though, that I wonder about.. we seem to kind of assume that River has met a lot of incarnations of the Doctor by this time, and we know she has images of them so she'll know who they are... but she can't have met any incarnations prior to Ten, right? She could have met ones after Eleven, I suppose. But when she meets Ten (we'll assume not for the first time) in the Library and he doesn't recognize her, she's shocked. She didn't know that she hadn't met him before in his timeline, he clearly hasn't met her yet, so yeah. I wonder if she ever will wind up meeting any incarnations besides Ten and Eleven.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  14. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Good point, and I agree. I think she only meets Ten, Eleven and (possibly?) future incarnations, but only has pictures of One through Nine.
  15. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Will River Song ever meet Bernice Summerfield?
  16. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    31. The Parting of the Ways

14.5/20

As the Daleks attack the Game Station led by their Emperor, the Ninth Doctor finds himself helpless. He knows he must make sacrifices if he is going to survive but does this mean losing his beloved companion Rose Tyler? And who or what is Bad Wolf?

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Parting_of_the_Ways.jpg]
    [image=http://www.eyeofhorus.org.uk/images/photo/10tennant/cin/david-tennant-tenth-pensive496.jpg]

Lowest score - 2
    Highest score - 20

Sloppy. The Doctor's death makes no sense at all. Rose had the TARDIS energy for ages and is unharmed. The Doc gets it for 2 minutes and dies. Resurrection of Jack is ok, but a 9.14m tall dalek is silly. Forgettable, which is a shame.

TRIVIA

The Doctor's farewell recording to Rose - "Have a good life ..." - is quoted in the lyrics of "Song for Ten", featured in the next full episode, The Christmas Invasion.

This is the first time the Doctor, or any Time Lord for that matter, is seen regenerating standing up, as previous Doctors collapsed before regenerating

30. The Fires of Pompeii

14.73/20

Psychic powers and stone beasts run riot in old Pompeii, but can Donna dare the Doctor to change established history?

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110509071506/tardis/images/6/6b/Vesuvius_Erupts.jpg]
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101017094131/tardis/images/6/60/Household_gods.png]

Lowest score - 10
    Highest score - 17

Another episode that improves on repeated viewings. And THAT scene which proves that Catherine Tate can act. Add to that some decent effects and you've got a nice solid episode.

TRIVIA

The fountain in this story is used as the Cloning vat in The Sontaran Stratagem.

This is Karen Gillan's first appearance in Doctor Who

29. The Impossible Planet

14.91/20

Rose finds herself further away from home than ever before, on a space base positioned on a planet in the orbit of a Black Hole. Meanwhile, an unknown entity is awakening and beginning to cause chaos amongst the crew.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111113093930/tardis/images/3/33/Impossible_planet.jpg]
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091229223043/tardis/images/3/3f/Scooti_dead.jpg]

Lowest score - 8
    Highest score - 18

What's this? No earth in sight and the result is a decent episode? And we get to see the Ood for the first time. A lot of fans said that this is what Who should be. Me? Not that convinced, but certainly goes to show that the Earth-centric side needs to be drastically reduced

TRIVIA

This is the first episode of the revived series not to have any scenes take place on or within orbit of Earth.

The episode contains a number of references to the popular Doom series. In particular, the door opening and closing sounds from the first two games are occasionally used

17. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "You were magnificent. And you know what? So was I." last sentence was an adlib by CE as a goodbye. Damnit, now I care.
    So many things wrong or silly in this story, but mostly fun. As for how long Rose had the Vortex vs how long the Doctor did... Maybe he did some healing mojo on her. The energy was supposed to be enough to burn her (or anyone)out. On the other hand, all the energy of the time/space vortex being accessible through the Tardis? And all Rose can think of doing is wiping out a Dalek fleet and bringing 1 person back to life? And it isn't even her Father? Hell, this would have been a great way (OK, actually a very cheez way) to bring back anything, even Gallifrey into the series. Oh well, best not.
    Still can't believe Eccleson's "That's 2 years of the old series" quote. What a prat.

Fires of Vulcan--The Doctor is in Pompeii. Again. (Big finish had 7th and Mel running around in a purely historical story)
    Still a very good story. And damn those effects are good. (Historically speaking) one famous journalist (he wrote journals, not newspapers) and his son were on the other side of the bay. The father took a boat over to rescue people. The son stayed behind. The gasses and ash were such that the father's boat couldn't see where it was going. If I remember correctly, the father died, and the son took up his journals. Pyroclastic surges--gotta love the sound of that.

Impossible planet--Doctor who is much better when it doesn't invoke religion. So is life in general, actually. Still, this story is pretty good. THe Ood were based on a classic 1st doctor alien--The Sensorites. In the Planet of the Ood, 10 mentions having visited a planet nearby, THe Sensesphere.
  18. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    Of which Eccleston quote do you speak?
  19. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I did a whole season of 13 45-minute episodes, which is the same as two seasons of the old show.

Well, yeah, 2 seasons of the show when budget and Who-hating BBC programme directors cut back to 14 22-min episodes. But for most of the 70s and early 80s, who had 26 1/2-hour eps.
  20. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Parting of the Ways.... I guess it's nice to see that Rose is the kind of person who, when given near infinite power, won't use it to take over the universe. It's good to see that the Doctor has a reason to admire her. After all, the same couldn't ultimately be said of the Time Lords. And I really love the effect this winds up having on Jack as well. That was quite clever.

On the whole, I like the episode well enough and I'm not really bothered that the energy kills the Doctor but not Rose. I guess I just figured it was at a point where it was going to burn her brain up, kind of like a nuclear reactor on the verge of meltdown, so the Doctor took it on at a critical point.

But it's probably not a good sign for Nine that my favorite moment of the whole episode is, "New teeth. That's weird."

The Fires of Pompeii... liked it the first time around, but loved it the more I saw it. It's probably one of my top 5 Tenth Doctor episodes. Another episode that has a lot of fun but goes to some dark places character-wise. And yes, Catherine Tate is surprisingly good in that scene. I think she definitely can act, she just is more often called upon to be the comedienne. But there are other instances of her really showing a lot of mature humanity as Donna and this is probably the best of them.

Also, I will take Peter Capaldi in anything (though it would have been a lot better if he'd been able to shout creative insults at people...). Then there's the fact that they benefited a ton in this episode from Rome's disused sets, which I recognized immediately. Clever usage, and really sells the setting.

The moment of the Doctor having to make the decision to push the button and Donna putting her hand on it as well was the moment when I utterly fell in love with her. Plus, I mean:

"You fought them off with a water pistol... I bloody love you."

AND

"I'm Spartacus."
    "...and so am I."

I love pretty much everything about this episode, particularly everything about Donna in this episode.

The Impossible Planet... This two-parter remains among my favorite Tenth Doctor stuff. It's quite different from the sort of thing we usually see on the show and that helps. But it's also just that I feel like the execution is very good. The setup of this story just reminds me so much of classic sci-fi films along the lines of Alien, and there are plenty of nods in that general direction. Plus this episode actually sets up a situation where Rose is useful and intelligent, and those moments are sadly few and far between.

In the trivia department, Shaun Parkes as Captain Zachary Flane is the fourth actor from Casanova to be brought into Who by RTD. He played Casanova's best friend and valet, Rocco
    [image=http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2005_Casanova/005CAS_David_Tennant_016.jpg]

...and now I want to watch Casanova again :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I hated The Parting of the Ways. The Tardis granting Rose god-powers... ugh. The regeneration scene was cool, though.

The Fires of Pompeii I've always liked. One of the few non-Moffat-written episodes of RTD's era that I like, in fact. I think the Roman Empire is somewhere that makes a great backdrop for a Doctor Who story, and it's somewhere I'd like to see the Doctor visit again.

The Impossible Planet is a pretty great episode. I think it's got quite a classic Who feel to it, but with NuWho sensibilities, too. I'm less keen on The Satan Pit.
  22. Darth_Daver Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've got Parting of the Ways and Fires of Pompeii in my top 10. Best moment from PotW is when the Dalek outside the station is seen, but not heard, to be saying "Exterminate!".
  23. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Adore this line. Funny, says a lot about Donna and says a lot about The Doctor.
  24. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  25. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    There will be an update tonight, check the Doctor Who thread :)