main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'Does anyone have stats for THIS species?' Thread v1.0

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by MoronDude, Oct 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    The extra Force Point sounds good as a reward for draining soup, but giving the character XP for it makes it too easy for a character to level up while the +1 to stat could make the character very powerful very quickly and could unbalance the game.
    As I understand the Anzati, the penalties for not consuming soup is that the creature is subjected to an overwhelming urge to seek it out, he becomes weaker (-2 to STR and CON for every level) and will eventually die if he does not suck soup.
    I like the idea of the opposed STR checks for overpowering/incapasitating prey and the ability to make a CHA based roll to "charm" their victim. Similar to how a vampire seduces its chosen prey. Perhaps a species bonus skill "charm"?

2. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Charm species feat sounds good.

The only bad thing about 1 extra force point is that if they are not force-attuned and they amass 5 force points, there is nothing motivating them from drinking more soup, unless there is also a penalty. How about insted of penalizing them in stats, which is hard to keep track of, they insted lose a Wound Point or every (_____) they go without eating soup?

What about the Dark side question? Should they get a Darkside point for drinking someone's soup? Yes, because they are essentially killing another sentient , but No, because it's in their nature and they cannot live without it.

3. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    So Far:

Anzati
    Str -1, Dex -2, Con +2
    +2 to all Cha-based skills used to Hunt a specific prey (Player must name it's prey to get bonus)
    Species Bonus Feat: Low Profile, Track

Draining Soup: Player must name it's prey. Once prey has been named & spotted, can drink his/her soup in two ways. 1) Incapasitate(sp?) prey by winning an opposed STR check; 2) Lure them close with a winning Cha check(Their +2 bonus would come into play) against a Sence Motive check; If check suceeds, prey must make a Will save (DC 12+Anzati Level). If that save fails, Prey's soup is eaten and the Anzati receives a Force Point. If the prey escapes, the Anzati cannot choose a new prey until the escaped prey's soup has been consumed.

How does that sound? We still have to come up with a penalty for not drinking soup and decide whether or not drinking soup is an Evil Act. If anyone else has any other good ideas, please submit them.

4. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Looking good so far. :) Almost there.

Consuming the soup is the way that the Anzati keep themselves alive, therefore it makes sense that if they go for a prolonged period of time without doing so, they will become weak and consumed with hunger. In RPGs the way that a wasting disease is delt with is by a reduction in the relevant stats. It may be a hassle for players to keep up with, but it is the best way to deal with it. This hassle wold also provide OOC motivation for the player to find prey.

Darkside points for draining soup? No. Draining soup is a natural thing for them. It is no diiferent than another being eating some form of meat. The Anzati does not get a DSP, unless he goes out of his way to inflict unnecessary pain on his victim or intentionaly kill. The race is feared because they are missunderstood, not evil. In SW Gamer #1, Dannik Jerriko has two DSP; he would have many more if he got one every time he drained soup.

Effects of an Anzati attack: From SW Gamer #1
    Anzati feeding drains caracter levels from the victims. Each round after the Anzati has inserted its proboscises, the victim loses two character levels, suffering a corresponding loss of experience points, Vitality Points, skill ranks, attack bonuses, saving throws, feats, and maximum Force Points. If the Anzati's attack reduces the character to zero levels the character dies. Survivors of the assault have enough experience points to put them at the middle of their new (lower) level and may regain lost levels through accumulation of experience as normal.
    Despite myths to the contrary, victims of the Anzati do not become Anzati themselves.

5. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Good points all around! Okay, loss of 2 Str & 2 Con for every level gone without soup consumption? Sound good?

Okay, with that said (from Gamer #1), would the prey get a will save every round to attempt to get away, albeit at a lower level?

6. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Sounds good.
    I think a saving throw every round is somewhat unrealistic because the victim is supposed to be incapacitated/paralyzed during the attack. Of cource the Anzati can choose to disengage at any point. The attack should be aware of the condition (level) of his prey and quit before he kills them, unless he wnats the DSP. If the Anzati is an NPC and the victim a PC, the GM should use discression when draining, and not screw over the player too much. ;)

7. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    How's this sound?

Anzati
    Str -1, Dex -2, Con +2
    +2 to all Cha-based skills used to Hunt a specific prey (Player must name it's prey to get bonus)

Draining Soup: Player must name it's prey. Once prey has been named & spotted, can drink his/her soup in two ways. 1) Incapasitate(I really need to learn how to spell it) prey by winning an opposed STR check; 2) Lure them close with a winning Cha check(Their +2 bonus would come into play) against a Sence Motive check; If check suceeds, prey must make a Will save (DC 12+Anzati Level). If that save fails, Prey's soup is eaten and the Anzati receives a Force Point. The Anzati takes 2 levels from the prey each round. If the Anzati takes all the preys levels, the prey dies and the Anzati recieves a Dark Side Point. If the prey escapes, the Anzati cannot choose a new prey until the escaped prey's soup has been consumed. Every level advanced without drinking soup gives the Anzati -2 Str & -2 Con. (Ex. A 3rd level Anzati who hasn't drank soup since it's 2nd level would get -2 Str & -2 Con IF it does not consume soup before advancing to the 4th level)

8. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Why should the Anzati not be able to choose a new target if the one he is currently after escapes?
    Other than that point everything looks great.

9. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    Ishi Tib? Anyone have D20 Stats for Ishi Tib?

10. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    I'd just like to make a couple of notes...

Attribute points ALWAYS go up in sets of two. This is so the ability modifier is increased/decreased.

Also, JD Wiker, game designer from WotC, has said that the Anzati get no attribute bonuses, and simply the long-life and Level Drain SQ's for species bonuses.

11. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Hey,

I'm not a SW RPG-er (except in the RPG forum, if that counts for anything), but I just thought I might add a little D&D influence to your discussions.

Firstly, on page 1, in regard to Charisma bonuses; in D&D (3rd edition) rules the Charisma bonus is applied to:

*Animal Empathy, Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Perform and Use Magic Device checks. (Skills that have Cha as key ability)
    *Checks that represent an attempt to influence others.
    (*There are other applications, but they involve spells and turning undead...)

I'm not sure what Cha is used for in SW, but there you go.

Also, in regard to generating basic stats for new/altered/sub- races, there's a chart which suggests how to even out stat adjustments.

+ to Str
    - Dex
    - Con
    - Int and Cha
    - Int and Wis
    - Wis and Cha
    + to Dex
    - Str
    - Con
    - Int and Cha
    - Int and Wis
    - Wis and Cha
    + to Con
    - Dex
    - Int
    - Wis
    - Cha
    + to Int
    - Wis
    - Cha
    + to Wis
    - Int
    - Cha
    + to Cha
    - Int
    - Wis

Eg: If I create a sub-race of Humans, who live in a very militaristic society. I might decide to give them +2 to Str, since strong warriors are common among them. However, the emphasis on fighting leaves them with little time for learning and quite a number of battle scars. Thus they are receive -1 Int and -1 Cha.

Of course, you don't have to stick with these guidelines, as they are for fantasy RP-ing. But all this stuff is WotC d20 system, in case you were wondering.

12. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Interesting table. Where'd you get it?

13. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    That table is in the Dungeon Master's Guide for D&D 3e rules. I've got that and the Player's Handbook (which is where the first bit of information comes from).

14. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Fingorfin: I don't know if you read "Tales of Jabba's Palace", but in the Tale of Dannik Jerricko, it says that once He chose Han as his next meal, and he escaped, he went mad trying to get him again. The Anzati MUST drink the soup of their named prey or die trying.

Moridin: Well, then, Call these House Rules! :D

15. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    hmm, I guess I might have to pick up the GM guide and the Sword & Fist book. I think attacks of opportunity are coming with the revised rules.

16. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Mordin, where did you find the JD Wiker statements? Good point about the attribute bonuses. Doing away with the stat bonuses/penalties keeps the species closer to Human, but I like the +2 CHA modifier for purposes of hunting.

I have not read Tales from Jabba's Palace, but now I know where you got that idea so I agree that it should be incorporated into the species traits.

Thanks for that chart, Syrix_ Kahl, it will be very usefull in the future.

17. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    It was something I e-mailed him about, and he replied and I posted it on the Holonet.

18. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    So has a final deciton been made?

19. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Until there is an official release, this is what I will be using.

Anzati
    No species related stat bonuses.
    Special: +2 to all Cha-based skills used to Hunt a specific prey (Player must name its prey to get bonus)

SQ Level Drain: Player must name its prey. Once prey has been named & spotted, can drink his/her soup in two ways. 1) Incapacitate prey by winning an opposed STR check; 2) Lure them close with a winning Cha check (Their +2 bonus would come into play) against a Sense Motive check; If check succeeds, prey must make a Will save (DC 12+Anzati Level). If the Anzati takes all the preys levels, the prey dies and the Anzati receives a Dark Side Point. If the prey escapes, the Anzati cannot choose a new prey until the escaped prey's soup has been consumed. Every level advanced without drinking soup gives the Anzati -2 Con.

Effects of Level Drain:
    Anzati feeding drains character levels from the victims. Each round after the Anzati has inserted its proboscises, the victim loses two character levels, suffering a corresponding loss of experience points, Vitality Points, skill ranks, attack bonuses, saving throws, feats, and maximum Force Points. If the Anzati's attack reduces the character to zero levels the character dies. Survivors of the assault have enough experience points to put them at the middle of their new (lower) level and may regain lost levels through accumulation of experience as normal.
    Despite myths to the contrary, victims of the Anzati do not become Anzati themselves.

20. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Sounds great! I'll be using that too, until a more, dare I say, "cannon" template becomes available.

21. The_Elf

The_Elf Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2002
    Charon:

I saw a mention of stats for Charon a ways back. Is this published for WOTC d20 system? If you could post, I would appreciate it!

Not having the d20 stats, I was toying with the idea of these Charon character classes. The warrior classes will be a adaptation of the Soldier class, and the priests will be built from Force Adept.

Lesser Charon Warrior (lvl 10)
    Greater Charon Warrior (lvl 12)
    Charon Warrior Champion (lvl 14)

Lesser Charon Priest (lvl 10)
    Greater Charon Priest (lvl 12)
    Charon High Priest (lvl 14)

Charon Biologist (lvl 6)

The priests would have a greater focus in Charisma, and would have some twisted dark side Force powers that center around their worshiping of the Void. The dark side manifests itself within the Charon race as aggression and destruction. They want to destroy everything, hence, sending it all to the Void.

Any ideas?

The Elf

22. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Charon stats are in the Rebellion Era Sourcebook

23. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    You know what I think he's right.

24. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jedi_Master_Mazzara Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2001
    Does anyone have stats for Camaasi?

25. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    They are in the New Jedi Order book. If you want I can post it next time I'm on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.