main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'Does anyone have stats for THIS species?' Thread v1.0

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by MoronDude, Oct 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I figured this is the best place for this. In trying to adapt Kender to SWRPG, I did the following:

- Wizards adapted Kender to d20 from DL: Fifth Age.
    - They did NOT take into account a Kender's immunity to fear, not their lowlight vision, nor their slightly superior speed.

So I've tried the following (first set == Wizards d20 adaptation, second set == my try at d20 SWRPG)...

Kender

Kender are a race unique to Krynn. They look like small, wizened human children with pointed ears. Kender are best known for their insatiable curiosity, their often casual attitude toward personal possessions, and their ability to taunt other creatures. They have the following racial traits:

- +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
    - Small: As small creatures, kender gain +1 AC, +1 on attack rolls, and +4 to Hide checks. Their base movement rate is 20 feet rather than 30 feet.
    - +2 on Open Locks and Move Silently checks
    - +1 attack bonus with throwing weapons and slings.
    - +2 on Listen checks because of their keen hearing.
    - +2 on Bluff checks because of their innocent looks and manner.
    - Taunt: Kender can use Bluff to anger others, causing them to act irrationally. Kender can make a Bluff check to taunt anyone that can understand their language. They can get someone to attack, or remove their Dexterity bonus to AC (see the Player's Handbook for more details on the skill).
    - Favored Multiclass: Rogue. Kender use the terms "scout" or "handler" since they consider terms like "thief" and "rogue" offensive.

Kender (SWRPG)

- +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
    - Small: As small creatures, kender gain +1 AC, +1 on attack rolls, and +4 to Hide checks. Their base movement rate is 8 m rather than 10 m.
    - +2 on Disable Device and Move Silently checks
    - +1 attack bonus with ranged attacks (thrown weapons only).
    - +2 on Listen checks because of their keen hearing.
    - +2 on Bluff checks because of their innocent looks and manner.
    - Lowlight Vision (20 m)
    - Taunt: Kender can use Bluff to anger others, causing them to act irrationally. Kender can make a Bluff check to taunt anyone that can understand their language. They can get someone to attack, or remove their Dexterity bonus to AC (see the Player's Handbook for more details on the skill).
    - In order to account for a Kender's immunity to fear (magical or otherwise), Kender are immune to (only) the following Force Skills: Affect Mind, Fear, Control Mind. They gain no other benefit vs. any other Force skills or feats.

What do people think?

2. Darakian

Darakian Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2002
    Anyone got d20 stats for Yevethan?
    They have large blades in there arms.

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    From the Alien Anthology:
    +2 STR
    -2 INT
    -2 CHA

+2 species bonus on Repair checks

claws do 1d3+2 damage

automatic language: Yevethan

4. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    LOL you D20 people are funny! I have almost 100 of the weg d6 books and I think that every one of your questions is answered in thease books. Just stop buying the crappy wotc system and get the best. WEG!

D20 works for D&D Not Star Wars.

[End Rant] :)

But honestly I cant beleve anyone would play a system where a jedi can die by using the force!

Many of the books can be found on ebay.

SW<D6>master

To all you d6'ers if you have any questions about a certain weg book or just about any other weg question, fire away!

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    But honestly I cant beleve anyone would play a system where a jedi can die by using the force!

They can't unless they're REALLY stupid.
    You need Control to use Force powers if you have no vitality left. You need Control to Heal Self which restores vitality for free.

But, this is not to knock the D6 system -- it's cool too. :)

6. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Interesting. Im still sad that stupid weg had to go under and lose its license. :(

I have other areas that I don't like about the wotc books. I cant believe that they would actualy encourage gm's to let players be Dark Jedi! Dark Jedi are evil and can't be played as anything but that. The Dark side seeks to make its servents more and more corrupt and allways takes more than it gives. It will most likely kill a character who tries stray away from it. And besides how can you be heroic if you sow seeds of death and destruction? Thats dark Jedi in a nut shell.
    There is no grey only Dark and Light.

[face_devil] :)

"Once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..." -Yoda

Or do most of you ignore the dark side sb for players and use it only for gm purposes?

SWmaster

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, for me, a character's personality is the major element of RPG'ing - a leftover from my acting days. A Dark Jedi doesn't have to be the pure hateful malevolence of Darth Maul; a Dark Jedi can be a complex character who turns to the Dark Side out of frustration, like Dooku.
    George Lucas has said that the basic sides of the Force, the Light and Dark, can be divided into the compassionate/selfless (Light), and the Selfish (Dark). Dark Side characters can simply be self-absorbed, or idealists corrupted into believing the ends justifies the means. They can basically be good people corrupted by anger; imagine if Maximus from Gladiator as being a force-sensititve, his anger consumed him, right? He's not a bad person, he just gave into his more human traits.

You said D&D doesn't work for Star Wars. I'm curious, have you played D20 Star Wars yet? Personally, I think it's 100 times better than D6.

E_S

8. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
  9. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Back to the top

10. Bromly_Falco

Bromly_Falco Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2002
    LOL you D20 people are funny! I have almost 100 of the weg d6 books and I think that every one of your questions is answered in thease books. Just stop buying the crappy wotc system and get the best. WEG!

I'm with you swmaster, WEG 2nd Edition is the best! I wouldn't trade even one of my WEG supplements for a comparible d20 book... well...maybe my duplicates... ;)

Those of you who simply must use the d20 system, look for the WEG Galaxy Guides as great sources of background data, alien stats, and ideas. Most d6 data will convert to d20 rather well. Keep it in mind.

11. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    This is probably covered elsewhere in the thread, but does anyone have stats for the Chiss?

12. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Chiss are near human; the only additional advantage that they get is the automatic feat Tactics (see the officer prestige class in the core rulebook).

Automatic language: Cheunh

13. FrobiWanKenobi

FrobiWanKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2002
    So it's standard operating procedure to post copyrighted information on this message board?

14. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Frobi: Well, yes.

1) It's not like Wizards is currently in any danger of going under.

2) And it's SOP on every board featuring d20 games I've been to. People will ask, "What should I do if I want this kind of character?" And people will respond with stuff from outside the core rulebooks. Invariably, the people asking won't have all the books, or won't have read them thoroughly enough, and will ask, "What's this Archmage prestige class you're talking about?" And the people at the board will be more than happy to post the basic information about it.

So. Anyway. Short answer--yes. Long answer--RPG components are very expensive! Of course we do, silly man. :p

15. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    I know that SWRPG books are expensive since I actually buy them.

I checked this boards rules and it said: User agrees not to post any material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right.

If you really like a RPG - support it.

While I don't think you are very informed on WotC's financial since they did layoff a number of talented writers (a good portion of the SWRPG writers were part of that). Quite possibly had more people bought the SWRPG books instead of stealing the information, like you have done, these writers might still have a job and be producing more SWRPG supplements a year.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ultimately, FrobiWanKenobi, you have no say. Point this thread in the direction of a Mod (DarthAttorney for this Forum, I believe) and they will lock it if they deem it lockable.

You can suggest that it's against the rules, but no more than that (unless, of course, you get promoted to Mod :))

17. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    You can suggest that it's against the rules.

I thought that's what I just did.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I thought that's what I just did.

But do it once -- any more than that is excessive. :)

19. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    I've done this before?

20. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I found that the D 20 system is very unfair with alien species and I find that humans wind up with more advantages then aliens. Like skills and feats and so on. Also I have no problem adjusting species specks to suet my players or the campaign. The stats should reflect what an alien species can do and how they are most likely to act, that said tell me what you think of my interpretation of this species.

Trianii
    Personality & Adventurers: As a race the Trianii are fiercely independent and self-reliant. They are very curious; always driven to explore; never being content with the present state of their lives or what they have--perhaps feline curiosity? Trianii encountered outside of their territory are likely to be adventurers that are an exception to the norm of their society. That said, the typical Trianii is very religious (others might call them "superstitious") and will tend to expect females to be of higher station and importance than males. "Traditional" Trianii who might make contact with the outside galaxy might be Trianii nobles whose circumstances require them to make some limited contact with outsiders, or else scouts looking for new worlds to be colonized. Their society is sufficiently varied that they may produce any number of Classes, though they do not as of yet have any formal relationship with the Jedi, so any Force-Sensitive Trianii are far more likely to be Force Adepts. The Trianii are a race of curious beings, making good scouts and spies.

Physical Description: Trianii are fur-covered felineoids that have 3 digited hands and feet. They can have almost any range of fur color and eyes with vertically slit pupils. The Trianii are tall and graceful, with semi prehensile tails. Humanoid, furred, with three fingers and a thumb on each hand, a prehensile tail, and a cat-like head, with vestigial claws, and greatly varied fur color and patterns. A Trianii adult averages at 2.0 meters tall.
    Relations: The Trianii are a peaceful people but are not afraid to use force if necessary. Trianii space is near the Corporate Sector, during the era of the Empire the Trianii had an on-going bloody feud with the CSA. As CSA interests attempted to move into Trianii space, and in the post-Empire era, they have shown no desire to join the New Republic.

Example Names: Ghia (female), Atuarre (female), Keheen (male), Pakka (male), & Tuunac (female)

Trianii Species Traits:
    1) -2 to Strength, +2 to Dexterity: Trianiis are sleek and agile creatures, making them less physically strong, but very dexterous. Trianii females get an additional bonus of +1 to Strength due to their physical superiority.
    2) Medium-size creatures: Trianii have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    3) Base speed: 12 meters.
    4) Superior/Low-Light Vision: Trianii can see twice as far as a Human in dim light (such as moonlight or underwater). They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    5) Acrobat: Trianii are very agile, with excellent senses of balance, and are capable of leaping, jumping, and acrobatics. Hence, they start with the Acrobat & Athletic feat. They also receive a one time miscellaneous modifier of +4 to Jump & Tumble skills.
    6) Prehensile Tail: Trianii have prehensile tails capable of grasping small objects (no more than 5 kg), For example, a Trianni would be able to fire a weapon (but not aim the weapon) with their tail.
    7) Retractable claws: They receive a one time miscellaneous modifier of +2 to Clime Skill. Trianii are honor bound not to use their claws in a fight, if they do their fellow Trianii will scorn them.
    8) Hunter: Trianii are excellent trackers, fighters and all around great hunters hence, they start with the Martial Arts or Track Feat.
    9)Automatic Languages: Read and write Trianii and Basic.
    10) Skills: Profession (any) or Craft (any)
    12) -4 to swim skill: the Trianii hate being submerged in water. In order for a Trianii to over come his or her fear they must spend twice the skill points to over come their fear.

Trianii Commoner:
    Init +1 (Dex);

21. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    I a big fan of [limk=http://conversions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=&id=1088]this[/link] version of the Trianii.

22. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Frobi--I do support it. I have every book that's available in my area. And I still haven't found stats for the Chiss anywhere, which quite rightly pisses me off. Not even the New Jedi Order book, and the Chiss figure as somewhat prominent after Star by Star (which, it should be noted, is where the NJO book leaves off).

And then, it turns out they're basically humans with the Tactics feat. Gr.

23. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    You can buy the Alien Anthology from Amazon for less than 20 USD. Or you can grab a copy of Star Wars Gamer 5 for under 10 USD.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As a side note, MOST species have been revised for RCRB and were released as a publicly available Web Enhancement here.

25. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    How did I miss that?
    Thanks for the link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.