main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official DUALITY Comments Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Feb 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saeed

Saeed Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2000
    Avene, you must feel truly honoured that CO2 put that last line in the credits 'for you'... what makes you so special, I wonder? :)

Oh, btw guys (and at least one girl :) ), despite the fact that this thread may be losing some of its original momentum, if you keep this going for 50 or so more posts, you will have beaten the record (to the best of my knowledge) on this particular forum.

THEN all you will have to do is spawn an entire forum from this thread, and keep posting on that a couple of thousand more times...

Good luck! :)

2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Dave,

Fascinating interview about Duality. A lot of my questions were answered, and I can appreciate the work that went into it even more. Thanks for linking to it.

3. Lady_Rive

Lady_Rive Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2001
    Hi Saeed,

There has been a record set: A DUALITY THREAD THAT HASNT RESULTED IN A MELTDOWN! Hooray!

I never thought I'd see the day.

(Everyone, please knock on wood) :)

Michelle

4. elanrai

elanrai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    I'd just like to say, "Excellent job" on the Duality project. I hope to one day achieve that professional look on a future fan film, Quest For Vengeance. We didn't do much bluescreening, but I do envy the saber effects. (Darn, Photoshop is SOOO tedious!! LOL)

5. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    You are all so stupid, especially you, Lady_Rive! This movie was terrible! You fools out there making films, you can't make movies worth anything!

::blinks:: Don't know what came over me... Saw "Duality" in the title and sorta went ballistic...

6. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Oh no, Saeed's trying to be funny again. Well, put this way. I'm sure that without all the comments I made to them in the past about the computers they use and those who use them, Duality would not look as good as it does. They'll probably deny this, but I'm quite certain they went that extra mile, and put in a lot more effort, just to prove to PC users such as myself, that Mac computers are actually capable machines. Not that I ever said they weren't of course. So I guess, maybe that comment at the end could be viewed as a "Thank you Avene, Star Wars and others, for inspiring us to do better".

7. TheDorkboy

TheDorkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2000
    "There has been a record set: A DUALITY THREAD THAT HASNT RESULTED IN A MELTDOWN!"

Ah, but that's because we're actually talking about Duality!

And I found the frames where the unrotoscoped end of the blade is just barely visible. You guys must have composited that particular scene with the two combatants separate--which makes sense in a lot of ways.

Question:

Would it have been possible for y'all to rotoscope (or create the outlines) for the blades BEFORE you composited the footage, then once you composited, apply the mask and glows, to save the trouble of the fanned-in-motion sabers disappearing (which I thought would happen and you confirmed before I could ask)?

M. Scott

8. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    The storyboards for Duality have been posted at the Crew of Two website:

http://www.crewoftwo.com

Dorkboy: That shot was actually filmed with Steve and I together. The reason it looked different was that it was one of the first sequences where I'd completed the sabers in AE. I'll explain more about that when we get around to getting more stuff up in the "Making Of" section of the website.

9. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Jinx. Ten.

And if you're not carefull, Mark, I'll upload some of those preliminary sketches YOU did.

:p

10. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    "Darth Rive ends up facing us, with the glowing end of Darth Blight's lightsaber sticking out of his chest. He falls forward, dead, revealing Darth Rive standing behind him, eyes wide. A moment later, Rive's top half slides off his bottom half, and he too collapses, dead."

You guys were drunk when you wrote that...

...right?

11. TheDorkboy

TheDorkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2000
    Guys, skip this message if you don't want an effects boo-boo to be pointed out (because once you see it, you can't un-see it).

Dave, I was talking about the scene where you both kill each other. It looked to me like, for the most part, whenever the blades were unignited (or the ignition/deignition was visible), the aluminum stunt blades had just been painted away into the bluescreen and then composited over.

In that particular scene, you can BARELY see the unroto'ed tip of the saber, though it disappears seamlessly when the blades disengage.

And if that was the same scene as you knew I was talking about, as for saying I understood why you would do it that way: someone else mentioned somewhere in the zillion threads on Duality that it would be hard to figure out angle and length for rotoscoping the blade through your chest. Well, easy. Create the mask without you there and then composite you together.

Oh well. I guess I'm not as sharp as I thought. :)

M. Scott

12. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    That's actually NOT the scene I was talking about, although I do know what you're talking about...

As far as the position and angle of the blade coming out of my chest: I eyeballed it. It was difficult and took a lot of adjustment to get it to match my body movements, but I thin I got it fairly close...

13. Saeed

Saeed Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2000
    'Oh no, Saeed's trying to be funny again.' --Avene

What do you mean, 'trying'? I'm funny or I'm not funny - there is no try...

Do you think you could tell me PC's are no good? That way maybe TTC2 will be a better film for it... I'll gladly put your name on the credits...:)

*loosens collar*
    Is it hot in here, or is it just me...?

...oh, it's just me...

14. Evan-Xun

Evan-Xun Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2000
    I don't know what fan movie other people were watching, but to be totally honest Duality was terrible...Sure it looks like they spent a lot of $$ on blue screen, but maybe they should have put a little $$ into getting guys that were somewhat trained in some form of swordfighting. Compared to some other films the saber fight seemed amateurish. The CG was very good, but once again, I felt it detracted from the "fight"(used loosely...maybe "scripted flailing" would be better), because the live action looked like live action and the CG backgrounds looked like CG backgrounds...the two never seemed to look right together...

Some might say I'm nitpicking...but this wasn't fun to watch at all. Even my 2 roomates(one was drunk, the other stoned) couldn't find anything good to say about it in their innebriated state.

Nice film though, won't win awards for anything but pushing the CG envelope, but that's not what you were planning on doing...was it?

15. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    I love the story boards. Very impressive. It sure must have taken ages to draw those? It looks like a lot of work. I'd probably lose interest after doing 2 or 3 drawings. The Robert Rodriguez (El Mariachi, Desperado) method of having all your shots worked out in your head sounds more appealing to me.

Saeed, I'm sorry I can't help you there. I'd find it extremely difficult to bad mouth a PC such as the Athlon you're getting. Although I'm sure MarsViolet would be nice enough to help you out there. He could easily fulfil your request.

16. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    "somewhat trained in some form of swordfighting"

I guess since one of the fighters is a black belt in several martial arts and the other is his best student who is a 2nd degree black belt, they need better fighters.

http://www.macomberkarate.com

Take a look at Saturday at 12:15pm.

17. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Cool, MarsViolet. I want to grow up to be just like you!

DUALITY II: Featuring Darth Oz's new apprentice, Darth Toto...

18. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    --quote--------------------
    I don't know what fan movie other people were watching, but to be totally honest Duality was terrible...
    ---------------------------

--quote--------------------
    Nice film though
    ---------------------------

Make up your mind!

19. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    >The Robert Rodriguez (El Mariachi, Desperado) method of having all your shots worked out in your head sounds more appealing to me.

Me too. Unfortunately, filming in the bluescreen studio makes that nearly impossible. You CAN get away with it when you're fliming on a physical set in sequence, but given that a) we had no physical reference to keep track of the camera's relationship to the characters (who we were constantly moving around in our limited space in order to insure that we weren't hitting walls and equipment), b) we shot everything completely out of sequence in order to minimize the number of camera and lighting set ups and c) we knew that we only had three days in the studio, I'm quite sure that in our haste to get everything done we certainly would have crossed the line innumerable times, repeated camera angles inappropriately, and blown it in any number of other ways I haven't thought of yet... Basically, we wanted to make sure that we knew what we were doing going in, because, well, Mark and I don't know what we're doing.

20. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    >Take a look at Saturday at 12:15pm.

Oops. That reminds me, we have a new schedule! Gotta change that...

21. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Dave - Lord Rive has somehow managed to die twice now hasn't he (Or am I wrong in thinking it was the same character in Duel?)

How about a whole series of films in which Rive dies? No? OK, its just too long in front of the monitor again.

Saeed - I whave somethign to show you when my rendering is finished ;)

Pete

P.S. Evan - You were kidding, right?

22. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    I just checked back a few pages (6)and there seems to be about 704 messages about Duality posted in the last 2-3 weeks.

This doesn't inculde all those threads that had to be deleted - otherwise you could probably triple that number ;P

Well, somebody might be interested!

Pete (705)

23. simon_vador

simon_vador Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2001
    OH MY DEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have just seen the movie and it's wonderful
    I haven't seen somuch fan fiml better than it hurray for the guys !!!!!!
    The visual effects are simply incredible !!!!

24. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    Very beautifull pictures :)

When opens the "effects" section ?

25. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    >Me too. Unfortunately, filming in the bluescreen studio makes that nearly impossible...

Well, I guess that does make sense, especially when you're paying for the bluescreen facility. Did you have all the drawings assembled in FCP, so they could just be replaced when the actual shots were completed?

>I just checked back a few pages (6)and there seems to be about 704 messages about Duality posted in the last 2-3 weeks

Pete, You're beginning to worry me. As if your current signature wasn't bad enough :) Your next assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to count the number of PTH threads and posts that have appeared over the past 2 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.