The Official DUALITY Comments Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Feb 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Happy Ninja Jedi Knight

star 6
    I think it is because of Duality's neutral colors, the yellow looks good. Blacks and Grey's are a good backdrop to have a yellow blade on, but when you have it outside in the bright light, the yellow loses its harshness, and somewhat disappears. That is why when the fight goes from inside to outside, it is harder to see the lightsaber unless it is contrasted against the tunics. They barely got away with it.

Personally I would have used a different color, maybe Orange, but they got it in the end!
  2. Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Getting the floor to look right was pretty hard. We anticipated as much, and that's why its in so few shots. Some of my favorite shots in the film, though, are the ones in the hallway from the low angle at our feet as we're running outside -- I managed to lift the actual shadows we cast on the bluescreen and use them in the shot, and I think it added an extra bit of realism to those shots. In many of the others, the shadows had to be faked, or at least modified -- added to or subtracted from, feathered, layered multiple times, created from scratch...

Faking shadows = pain in the neck, almost on a par with doing lightsabers.
  3. TheDorkboy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    First of all, good. I thought my monitor was screwed up. Apparently the intended colors are gold and red, but they came out yellow and pink on my monitor, mostly. At least I'm not the only one (I guess I could always asjust the RGB until it looks right...).

Oh, and Dave, I was just remembering something you said once on one of the meltdown threads...How did your daughter enjoy Disneyland? :)

M. Scott
  4. Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Mark had fun -- we ditched him early in the day and he ended up riding "It's a Small World" 32 consecutive times before we picked him up in a semi-comatose state, buckled him into his car seat and drove him home, drooling the whole way.

My son, on the other hand, had a great time (we never went on 'Small World with him), this being the first time that he was tall enough to go on Big Thunder Mountain, his new favorite ride (along with Star Tours, of course).
  5. musashi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hmmm..."It's a Small World" 32 consecutive times, eh?

I guess that explains the pastel-colored lightsabers!

6. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The "Small World" ride isn't meant to be fun.
  7. musashi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    >..."It's a Small World" 32 consecutive times, eh? I guess that explains the pastel-colored lightsabers!

>Hey now, Dave did the sabers. I ride for fun....

Oh, that's right...and Dave IS Venus. I understand completely now.
  8. musashi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Mars, are you considering release of a DUALITY Bloopers reel?
  9. Bubba Jedi Knight

star 5
    Would it be dangerous for me to even ask? :)
  10. Happy Ninja Jedi Knight

star 6
    Put it away, put it away! :)
  11. TheDorkboy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    "Dave's a small world after all..."
  12. DarkATX Jedi Master

star 4
    Welcome to the Dave's dojo. Dorkboy can you come up here a moment while I demonstrate on you the finer points of martial arts a$$-kicking?
    KIIIIII-YA!!!!!
    BTW, cool VR stuff!
  13. Yavarice Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I finally got around to downloading it and am now very sorry i waited that long.

The CGI background and seekers were very well integrated and the lightsabre hums and clashes were flawless.

Choreography was also very impressive. Lotsa people seem to complain that the sabrestaff twirling was out of hand, but i think it seemed appropiate as they needed to deflect dozens of laser blasts. You have two blades, might as well use them both.
    There were some spots in which one of you seemed to stall a little, but ultimately i don't care. I also have to say im impressed with the handling of the two single sabres, as i know how hard it can be to coordinate with dual weapons.

Plot, pfft who needs one with action like that?

Overall great SFX and action, best 80megs i ever spent.
  14. Avene Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Quicktime VR.. that's pretty cool, although the way you've done the objects is kind of like Metastream.

What would be nice, is if you had a 360 degree view of the arena from there centre using Quicktime VR. Or perhaps better, a view from the landing platform. Could be too much to render though.
  15. TheDorkboy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Bring it on, ATX! I am a Master of Faux-Fu! You can't anticipate my next move because *I* don't even know what I'm doing!

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

*crunch*

Ouchie!
  16. Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 4
    >>What would be nice, is if you had a 360 degree view of the arena from there centre using Quicktime VR.

The boy has no patience...
  17. musashi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    >Lotsa people seem to complain that the sabrestaff twirling was out of hand, but i think it seemed appropiate as they needed to deflect dozens of laser blasts. You have two blades, might as well use them both.<

One would think so...especially since a lightsaber can slice cleanly through a person's midsection with less resistance than a knife through butter.

I mentioned this earlier, however I know people tend to avoid reading past posts; it takes years and years of daily training to handle the weapons as they do in this film. They did not just pick them up one day and exclaim, "Hey, let's film a lightsaber fight!"

When they execute those "fancy spins" on their wooden bo staffs, the sheer speed and power causes the wood to reverberate with a whirring sound and creates a forceful breeze that leaves absolutely NO doubt it would hurt A LOT to get hit by one of them fancy twirls. Imagine the defensive shield a lightsaber would create when in motion like that.
  18. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I posted this question before, but being in the U.K. I guess you where all asleep. Soooo, Was it an intentional thing when designing the film to have all three characters 'easy to cut out' against the bluescreen (i.e. no hair etc., to matte, just solid black shades that could take a little 'colour key' flack without looking dodgy) or is this just a happy coincidence?
  19. Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Black seemed to be a natural for the costumes, being that we were dealing with Sith, but that didn't prevent spill from creating some problems with the keying, particularly when it came to my face -- in many shots, the white makeup reflected the blue (though not nearly as much as the chrome lightsaber handles did -- they had to be keyed in a separate pass from everything else). As far as the hair thing goes, we originaly shot the final sequence with Darth Oz with the hood off (he removed it just prior to his tantrum). We decided to re-shoot that sequence, though, because we felt that Mark looked a little too young (and I have to say that it was kind of heart-breaking to see that original footage go, because he turned in a really good performance -- we'll put the original footage on the Crew of Two site at some point), but it also gave me the opportunity to skip keying Mark's hair, which is rather long and wild, and would have been a pain.
  20. Happy Ninja Jedi Knight

star 6
    I could say something here, but I wont! :)
  21. Avene Jedi Padawan

star 4
    >Not for (the Sith) Electric Image....

Good, I look forward to seeing it. But I thought the line was Not for 'a' Sith? Doesn't matter.
  22. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm pretty sure it's "the"...
  23. Bubba Jedi Knight

star 5
    For my timeline, I've whipped up a custom summary of "Duality" to fit it in with canon. I don't think anyone will mind spoilers, since they've all seen it...

(282 years before the Battle of Yavin, the events of ?Duality?)?Unbeknownst to the galaxy, the wicked-looking Sith Terminator shrieks through space, it?s destination: the Dark Side world of Korriban. Soon, it lands upon a platform connected to an enormous valley complex. A figure walks from it, tattooed Sith Lord Rive. Stopping at the entrance, an eye-like halt droid scans him and gains him entry, following him down a corridor and down an open turbolift into the open space of a circular arena; a huge pit surrounding it. Kneeling down in it?s middle, Rive watches as a room-sized hologram of his cloaked master, Darth Oz. Rive?s training in the Sith arts is now complete, and the rule set centuries ago for one master and one apprentice is about to be fulfilled once again?but Rive must pass his final trial first. Suddenly, the sound of an activating lightsaber reaches Rive?s ears, and he turns around, and activates his own. Oz introduces him to his secret fellow apprentice, the masked Darth Blight. He and Rive have both constructed rare double-bladed lightsabers. The rule of two must be followed, and only one of them will survive to take the side of Darth Oz. Both begin a battle to the death. Rive and Blight relentlessly attack each other in a swiftly moving series of parries and thrusts. The two move away to avoid being overwhelmed, and Rive?s reflexes save him, deflecting a blaster bolt that came out of nowhere. In fact, it?s source reveals itself, as well as others. Round seeker droids appear, armed with deadly blasters. Impossibly fast, Blight and Rive deflect and destroy the droid, amisdt the cruel laughter of Oz. Once the final droid is obliterated, the two resume their fight, with Blight slicing Rive?s lightsaber in half. Oz cackles as Rive begins to fight with two separate blades, and eventually pulls off a series of moves which allows Rive to grab and deactivate Blight?s weapon, and kick it off the side of the arena. Unarmed, Blight avoids Rive completely and uses the Force to leap past the turbolift and into the corridor leading back to the Sith Terminator, Rive persuing him as Oz watches on with chuckling and amusement. Deftly dodging and spinning away from Rive?s twin blades, he is able to overcome him near the platform and knock a blade out of the other apprentice?s hand. Even more, Blight snatches Rive?s other blade and gains the upper hand, but when Rive uses the Force to call the fallen lightsaber to his hand, the intense duel continues to a violet crescendo. Rive slashes forward, twists away from his attack?and is impaled upon Blight?s ligthsaber; jutting from his chest. The corpse collapses. The howling of the wind is the only thing that can be heard?and then Blight subsequently falls to the ground in two halves, dead. Darth Oz stands before the bodies. Two long-trained killers, so effective they?ve killed each other. In the end, Oz has no apprentice. Rive and Blight?s names will be wiped from the Sith Archives; they and their weapons will never have existed. Oz stands, rage emanating from him like waves. The halt droid appears, and comments on how ironic the situation is. The rage escalates, and Oz blasts it with lightning conjured from the Dark Side. Insane with anger, Oz pummels the corpses of the dead apprentices with electricity; an unending stream of light?.

24. Bubba Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thank you! "Duality" is too good to be left out of the SW timeline. The Sith Archives exist, so I've made it so that Rive, Blight, and their weapons were wiped clean from them. They never existed. That's why Darth Maul only saw that Exar Kun was the only one before him with a double-bladed lightsaber. Glad you liked it, MarsViolet.
  25. Happy Ninja Jedi Knight

star 6
    Nice wirte-up, Bubba!

Anyone interested in writing some Fanfic about Darth Oz? I'd do it myself, but I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO busy up until march - I graduate from university! :) Can't wait!
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.