main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official DUALITY Comments Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Feb 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluXeD

FluXeD Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2000
    Oh my gosh that was the coolest lightsaber fight I've ever seen in a fanfilm. Andthe ending...wow. Very sweet.

2. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Definitely the best I've seen also. Well done guys!

3. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Thank god for TFN's fast server, I downloaded it at 200kb/s.

As for THE FILM! WOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SPECIAL EFFECTS AND CHOREOGRAPHY WERE, HANDS DOWN, THE BEST IN ANY STAR WARS FAN FILM EVER!

The scene in the "bubble arena" (as I call it), with the remote droids was STUNNING! BEAUTIFUL! MAGNIFICENTLY DONE!

Oh man, my eyes are watering, fantastic! Thank you Crew of Two!

4. Mendosa

Mendosa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2001
    My personal favorite of the FX was when you could see the reflection in their goggles. Very nicely done.

5. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    The fight reflecting in Blight's mask as Oz laughs while the Qui-Gon's Noble Death piece is playing is truly a work of art.

6. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
  7. Jedi Knight Anakin

Jedi Knight Anakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2000
    Amazing... truly amazing! A work of art!

I just have one question, Crew of Two... how did you create those amazing lightsaber effects?

8. TrialoftheMedallion

TrialoftheMedallion Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2001
    Obviously there was a lot of effort here. The special effects were without a doubt, stunning. Nothing has come anywheres near this.But there was no story. Nothing was explained, two guys met and fought, sure it was cool, the fighting wasn't bad, but no story. Thats why I'm happy,that way no one will confuse it with my movie. No insult my effects now have to be a thousand times better.

9. Darth_Blight

Darth_Blight Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    For those who were confused, I am the one with the mask (with red light saber) and Lord Rive is the one with hood and face paint.

10. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    See, I'm ugly, but Steve? It takes more than makeup to disguise his ugly mug...

Joking, Steve, joking...

11. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Who wants to know what I think??

12. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Lord_Rive, Darth_Blight, for what little dialogue their was, you guys are damn good actors. :)

By the way, did you get inspiration for the end scene where Blight just stands there before falling to the ground in halves from the movie "Cube?"

13. Darth_Blight

Darth_Blight Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    Whaaaaa! You've gone and made me cry, Dave.

14. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Max: Not even gonna go there...

Bubba: Thanks, but never seen "Cube"...

If you want to see the true inspiration for this film, watch Flash Gordon, the one with Max Sydow. THAT'S where all great seminal ideas come from.

15. gerald686

gerald686 Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2001
    Duality's a pretty cool film. Despite what most of you guys are saying, I don't think this film needed a plot. It can't really be called a film, it's more of a fight scene and fight scenes don't require much of a plot. Looks like these guys wanted to make something that looks great and entertaining, and they succeded.

I think what you need to make a great film is time, patience, and talent and they had it. It takes guts to make those kinds of sets and have live action so finely integrated into them. Video and sound quality were good as well.

One last note (NOT DIRECTLY TO THE CREATORS OF DUALITY BUT TO ALL FILM MAKERS). This double-sided lightsaber stuff is getting out of control. Lets get back to the basics and focus on skill and presentation of a single-sided lightsaber instead of "I've got a double-sided lightsaber and I can twirl it really fast!"

16. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Sorry, Stevie. It was a joke.

NOT!

;)

17. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    I've got a great idea for a certain lightsaber that his more than two sides. I can't tell, or else someone will steal my idea.

But if the Duality creators steal it, I may reconsider...

Shame you guys have never seen "Cube." In the very beginning, this guy walks into a trapped room (you've gotta see it to understand) and suddenly he stops and you hear a CHING sound. It looks like he's stunned, but in fact, his confused expression stays on his face long enough as his body falls apart--literally. Little chunks here and there, and finally, the face comes apart in the vivisection. All to reminiscient of Duality, but you'd find inspiration in "Cube" as well. I have a fanfic story that's simple enough for you guys to make a movie out of...

18. Ryallt

Ryallt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2001
    Gentlemen, my hat goes off to you. An excellent film.

As someone trying for a high level of production value in my own films, I very much appreciate all the hard work and talent that went into this fine piece.

My favourite thing? Well, the one thing that stands out for me is the excellent use of depth-of-field (background being out of focus etc). It's a detail you don't see much of in fan films (though we do use it in Legacy... *wink*)

Again, a wonderful film. My heartiest congratulations.

Kev

19. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Fine, Dave, I won't tell you. Jerk.

;-D

20. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Bubba,

I have CUBE on DVD, and I think it's brilliant! You should listen to the Directors Commentary about that scene you were talking about - very interesting! They did it right at the last minute, and were even thinking about NOT putting it in! Good job they did...

Classic film too, and I think Nicole DeBoer was excellent - Her career jumped too after it, going to DS9, and all.

- GETTING BACK ON TOPIC -

I hope that there are some cool simialarities between Cube and Duality, that I can spot. I'm only 36% of the way through - Have pity on me, I'm in England where Cable Modems are virtually non-existant, and downloading at 4am on a 56K modem! :(

21. stel

stel Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2001
    Impressive, most impressive.

I have to say, this is right up there as one of the best fan films.

There are so remarkably few what I would call 'amateurish' moments that they're not even worth mentioning.

It was the subtlety in achieving the authentic Star Wars look that impressed me most. For example: In the circle, the yellow sabered fighter leaps away, only to have to deflect a blaster bolt. He looks around to see where it came from. That moment was SO Star Wars it's what drew me in.

For sheer artistry this is the best fan film to date. You're in my top three best fan films of all time.

There's a Hungarian fan film which I think was more ambitious, and Troops still wins on story.

But Duality wins a whole new catagory - and that's vision. This film is tremendous on many levels.

I'm beginning to think if the top three to five fan film units got together we would practically have an entirely original Star Wars film that's knocking on the door of a real one.

All the best

Stel

22. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    *sigh* Nicole DeBoer...I'm a sucker for Canadian Pixie Women...

23. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Happa Ninja--I'm glad you had the privelege to see that movie. One of the scariest film's I've ever seen, and you'll find that that scene will eerily reflect off the one in Cube. Tell me your reactions after you see it. I don't know where I'd be if the director didn't include that scene. What a waste it would have been. :)

24. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Okay, okay. I want to know what you think Max.

Did you finally manage to download the whole thing?

25. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    So nice of you to ask, Dave! *G*

Yes, I finally got it to download. Getting there was a challenge, though. Was it worth it?

BY GOD, YES!

Best fan film ever, Dave! I'm honored to know you guys. There's nothing wrong with it, at all. I would have waited ten YEARS for this, much less ten months. Thank you so much, for putting all of the time, effort, and money into this. I am so very grateful for DUALITY. It's such a work of art. When you guys got that Hollywood job thanks to the Duality trailer, I was ecstatic, now I'm even moreso because I know how incredibly skilled you are and what you can bring to the silver screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.