main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Duchess Satine Kryze in The Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ZEM, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Requiescat in Pace ( Rest in Peace ) Satine, awesome character she was

Order66Survivor and rumblewagon like this.
  2. eukaryote

eukaryote Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2008
    Satine, one of my favorite characters ever... @};-

Really sad that her body wasn't recovered, God only knows what Maul did with her....

cwustudent likes this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Ok I watched it again.

There was like 5-6 Death Watch chasing them, if the weapons of Twilight could be opened sooner they won't be a big problem to worry before the ship fly up.

Maul's face was already showing the sign of anger when Obi Wan talked about "more powerful than you'll ever be" but he still continued to Maul's background.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Well... hmm.

No doubt she was, in her own way, very brave. But she may have been a little bit like Ned Stark in Game of Thrones - Stark was the wrong guy to try to fix things because he was too honorable for his own good at a time when what was needed was someone who had the ability to be a little bit cagey and ruthless. You don't fight your way out of a shark tank by the Marquis of Queensbury rules. I know we don't like admitting this, but sometimes when you're fighting a smart, ruthless enemy you really do have to sink to... well, not their level, maybe, but to a level more impressive than simply declaring that they're a dastardly villain who will never get away with taking the people's freedom - which is just about all the resistance that Satine managed to put up against Vizsla and Maul. I mean, I know she was a pacifist and an anti-corruption crusader and all, but someone who managed to get to be in charge of a whole planet really ought to have more tricks up her sleeve than that.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, Satine is such a waste of life.

6. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Well at least her hair looked acceptable as she popped her clogs.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. Being a pacifist does not mean being unwilling to fight back when attacked. It generally means not starting fights.

Her character had potential in Season 3; now it's just wasted.

Paparazzo likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Worse is the performance of whatever they call a defense. It may not be in Satine's nature to fight, but whoever she had in charge of Mandalore's defense should have stepped up and saved her, but instead put up an embarrassing showing.

Regardless of government, it is the military's (or whoever is in charge of security/defense) duty to be ever ready to stomp *** when they are called on. They were being paid to remain vigilant, even though it was unlikely the call would ever come. The call did come, and the response wasn't worthy. It doesn't matter that the government had them on a tight leash, they should have been primed to pounce as soon as the leash was let go, or even prepared to break free on their own to defend their home without permission, if necessary.

What makes it worse is these are Mandalorians. I don't care if these are "New Mandalorians", they still have a warrior tradition and it shows in their society. Just looking at past Mandalore episodes I still see signs of military influence, just in the design of the city, the armor and weapons of the guards, the style of dress, the educational system, etc. In some of the earlier episodes, at least some of the guards seemed skilled. We were just talking about the guard's ability to deflect blaster bolts, that takes crazy skills. In Star Wars, those that wield melee weapons are usually seriously badass. If you can get away with wielding a freaking staff in an age of blasters, you're a badass. To see these guys go down so easily was very disappointing.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just thought of something...

In Star Wars we have seen planets that have no ****ing army put up a better fight than the "New Mandalorians" did.

That's pathetic, whether the New Mandalorians were being led by a pacifist or not.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's the problem I'm talking about, it's too rushed so they have to make the characters dumb to push the plot.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The option would be to not push the plot. If they really wanted to focus on the Mandos, maybe having a season longer than 20 episodes with four episodes wasted on ****ing droid antics might be a good idea.

eukaryote likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Totally, so many factions and characters could get involved.

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh, I know what he did to her: he stuffed her in a damn fridge! :rolleyes:

I'm glad that someone on tvtropes has officially categorized Satine as being Stuffed In A Fridge, because that was a blatant and disgusting fridging.

God help us if they're doing that to Ahsoka. Please, just let her (inevitable) death mean something more than making teh menz have emotions.

Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Somehow I see a lot of people getting deliriously happy and then completely wasted over Ahsoka's death.

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Totally inevitable. But not the point I was making.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I bet Obi-Wan got drunk when he returned to Coruscant while mourning over Satine's death :p

Paparazzo likes this.
  17. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    .... Time for an *Official* Bo-Katan in The Clone Wars Discussion Thread?

18. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, I have to say in the case of Ahsoka I see primarily her as a tool to further flesh out Anakin, so despite how messed up it sounds I truthfully wouldn't mind some fridging for her [face_plain].

Satine on the other hand was originally a strong, intelligent political idealist first and Obi-Wan's former love interest second, so this was just inexcusable. She went from being this brilliant pacifist to nothing more than an idiot incapable of doing anything on her own that was in desperate need of Obi-Wan's rescue. I was so disappointed by her death... Now I almost wish she'd died back in "Duchess" (GOD I love that episode) when the Death Watch soldier threw the bomb at her in the alleyway. It might have been more rewarding, who knows. [face_sigh]

LawJedi likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Actually, that's not true. Pacifist does in fact mean no violence, ever, not even to save your own life. Not starting fights is generally considered to be the default, at most peaceful.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Peace need power to enforce.

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I would agree with that - but then again I am not a pacifist.

22. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Can somebody answer this? I can't remember.

Was the Death Watch threat/fight against Satine's Mandalore a more 'recent' thing or something that had been happening for a while that had slowly escalated?

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The New Mandalore took power after the civil war between True Mandalorians(Jango's organization) and Death Watch, so Death Watch pretty much started the struggle since Satine became leader because they wanted to rule and bring their way back.

Paparazzo likes this.
  24. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Current canon states that Death Watch-like elements of malcontents had been brewing for quite some time during the ascendancy of the New Mandalorians, before finally being formed as a faction by Tor Vizsla in 60 BBY after Jaster Mereel won out as Mand'alor. Death Watch planned to take down the New Mandalorians even then, but the True Mandalorians battled Death Watch through the Mandalorian Civil War. Death Watch came out on top through Vizsla's deceptions, and initiated the Great Clans Wars in an attempt to destroy the New Mandalorians now that the True Mandalorians were gone. That failed, though, and in the aftermath of that conflict is when Satine rose to power over her faction. Death Watch has basically been in hiding since, waiting to regroup and rearm until the Clone Wars provided an opportunity to try again.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The Jedi wanted Satine to have power since the Mandalorians caused tons of trouble to the Jedi in history, except in the end of the New Sith War.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.