main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The OFFICIAL Earthquake Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jose-Mourinho, Apr 6, 2010.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/4182441/Quake-shakes-Samoa-one-year-on

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/4182084/Quakes-strike-near-Irian-Jaya-Indonesia

Man, the Pacific and Australian Plates have not been getting on lately.

2. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Almost five weeks later... still getting aftershocks. Haven't felt one for a while, but the odd one slips through and gives us a good shake. It just seems like a part of normal life now, it'll be weird when it's all over. :p

Most buildings damaged beyond repair have been demolished. There are now huge gaps in rows of shops where buildings once stood, and a lot of businesses have cleared shop or just completely shut down due to whole areas still cordoned off as building assessors do their thing.

There's still a couple of suburbs in town that still don't have full sewerage, and one whole area might have to be abandoned as the ground basically turned to quicksand during the main shake and no one wants to live there any more. It's one of those new suburbs near the sea that hasn't had much earthquake experience. They shouldn't have built there in the first place IMO. Anyway, life goes on...

3. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
  4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    You have angered the mole men, havn't you?

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I saw this on BBC News. I'm glad you're OK!

Maybe you should just pile the stuff on the floor for now...

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    New Zealand's mad that they haven't started filming The Hobbit yet.

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Then it should be attacking Wellington, not ChCh. :_|

Yeah LAJ, I did that at first, but you get to a stage where it feels like it'll be in a pile forever. Earthquakes will never stop completely, you just have to accept it and move on.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/4385165/Quakes-energy-puzzles-scientists

:(

Looks like those Oxford old boys chose the wrong place to build a city.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    4.9 quake 5kms from central Christchurch. Power out, buildings damages, Boxing Day shoppers evacuated.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10696606

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It was centred only a couple of blocks from me. I was brushing my teeth and I was almost bouncing off my tiny bathroom walls, and almost swallowed my toothbrush. :p Power was out for about 30 mins, only the second aftershock to cause that, and we've been getting them all day, it feels like the week after September 4 all over again. [face_frustrated]

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    My brother is gutted - the brand new Wendy's (first in the South Island) has been shut down just a week after opening due to the quake. He went there tonight after leaving our family Christmas in Blenheim to grab some dinner. Denied.

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

Glad you are all safe, of course, but sorry about the quake. :(

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sorry to hear about your quake. There's been nothing on the news here about it. I think the news channels are more concerned with showing their 'year in review' twaddle than in actually showing news. :mad:

Hopefully you won't get any more aftershocks!

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks guys. Man, I really though it was all over too. These local aftershocks are actually on a different fault to the main one, and because they're much closer and so shallow, they feel way worse. We just have to keep calm and carry on.

Too bad about Wendy's. :p I wonder how long it'll be shut, I haven't been yet.

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    You aren't missing anything. ;)

16. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    Except the Frosties.

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Oh well. Any burger joint that isn't BK or Maccas is a novelty here.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I like Wendy's.:(

:p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

19. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    My brother has been after me to get a motorcycle license so we can go on a motorcycle tour through New Zealand. On Christmas he was bugging me again and I joked "Now's probably not the best time to go, that big earthquake they had a few months back probably destroyed all the roads."

My entire family thought I was making it up. They figure they would have heard about an earthquake that big. But its okay, I still believe you guys.

20. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    To those of you in California:

Years ago it was prophesised that California will be judged by the Lord in three phases. The first would be wild fires. The second mudslides. The third earthquake. Currently Cali is having some bad mudslides, and we are entering 2011, 11 in the Hebrew means judgement. So it is possible that Cali will have the earthquake this year or very soon.

My point to you is to leave Cali and the west coast. Please. You may think I'm crazy or dumb, but I'm warning you so as you can be spared.

Tha is all I have to say.

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    what in gods name is wrong with you

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Because no one died. :p It's fine, you could just ride past Christchurch (and surrounding towns) all together and you'd never know there was an earthquake.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't get it. How could you start posting here when you were like 14 and get worse?

24. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I'm not a baptist...

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002