main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The OFFICIAL Earthquake Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jose-Mourinho, Apr 6, 2010.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    No it's pretty much beyond repair at this point. It may have to be demolished and rebuilt somewhere else.

2. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Latest aftershock footage: http://youtu.be/O2WNYdW8vEo

Just turn down the ridiculous music. :rolleyes:

3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    That is really sad to watch Sam. Watching the reporter do his job and report the hopelessness of those poor souls is heartbreaking. These people are just broken. Your govt is facing one of his harshest trials. The trial of loss of community. By giving ground back to nature due to the earthquake you risk the possibility of losing all your population and your community. Without a way forward thru this tragedy people will just move out of country or to another island and the city will be a ghost town overnite.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    There are plenty more cities in the South Island other than Christchurch.

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    A few people have left, and I'm sure more will, but c'mon, NZ's second city isn't going to become a ghost town. Once people move away from the worst hit areas, future earthquakes shouldn't be as disruptive.

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Another 5.4 last night, but didn't lose power or anything... just lost more sleep thanks to aftershocks triggering more aftershocks.

Getting really, really, really, really sick of it now. I'm sure people are sick of just hearing about it. If it continues like this I'm seriously considering getting out of here.

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm surprised you all haven't cleared out by now.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It must be hard to comprehend for people around NZ why we all just don't leave, but moving adds more stress and worry to an already stressful situation. Leaving all your friends, family, job, your home, just to escape isn't easy. Everyone has their breaking point I suppose, it hasn't quite happened to me yet. I haven't suffered any damage or injury, I still have a job, and my pre-September lifestyle is mostly intact.

Hopefully tomorrow's big announcement will give the city some direction, but you can start to see it weigh heavily on people around town. Everyone just looks tired, stressed, resigned. It's really sad.

Well, I'm off to Nelson tomorrow for a few days, it'll be my first break from ChCh since all this began. Should be nice. :D

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I'm not, because with every update we find out that you're ok/escape any serious harm, etc.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Breaking news - 6.7 in Japan. Pacific Tsunami alert issued

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10734011

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    That's my cousin's area. Haven't heard from him since Wednesday. [face_worried]

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    2.9 in Auckland. All hell breaks loose on twitter & faceboook.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    :eek:

[image=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263192_10150232353216841_620916840_7622236_1755272_n.jpg]

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10735824

:p

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I heard it was widely felt across the city. It just makes me wonder because we down here (the experts we are :p) hardly feel anything under 3.5.

And if we're comparing drums...

[image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/scraps/drum.png]

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Under a 3 is normally not felt. I'm skeptical of something.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Heh, it's so unusual in Auckland. And it was 9km deem right under the CBD (basically). Didn't feel it here in he suburbs 20km from the epicentre, but the facebook spike has been hilarious - especially winding up the Christchurch friends (who generally hate Auckland anyway).

And while we have no idea about what Christchurch is going through here in Auckland, the whole country is on edge about earthquakes.

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    While I wish it'd just leave us alone for a change, I wouldn't wish it on anyone else. Especially since another disaster like this would probably bankrupt the country.

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I also found this quite interesting:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/5175031/Ask-an-Expert-why-so-many-aftershocks

I've often wondered about that. Reading about earthquakes around the world, I've not seen a single one that has as many recorded aftershocks as we've had. I was beginning to think we were a freak case.
    [face_worried]

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    You know things are messed up when you start to worry about a lack of earthquakes. It was quiet over the weekend, like, really quiet. It's freaking me out.

21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Got Stockholm Syndrome, have you? :p

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Possibly. But also because the big ones always come out of no where, just when you think it might be over.

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Holy **** - just felt a really slow rolling aftershock, but according to twitter it was in Wellington. [face_worried]

24. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
  25. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    ^ Bet that freaked them out.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5237027/Quake-felt-across-central-New-Zealand

6.5... *sigh*