main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The OFFICIAL Earthquake Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jose-Mourinho, Apr 6, 2010.

1. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    earthquack! (we gonna die)

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    My glass of water sitting on the dashboard did that thing with the concentric outward ripples from the center. I thought a giant T-Rex was coming to attack my computer-whiz sister, my idol paleontologist, and me, but then it turned out it was just the earthquake.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    half my neighborhood ended up out in the street for some sort of post-mild earthquake debriefing/committee. I looked out the window and was tempted to just get back to work, but had a sorta "JD from Scrubs" moment where I was picturing the street opening up and swallowing them as the aftermath of the quake to punish them for being so paranoid.

4. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Nah, that's just the Generals pissing themselves.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Your idol paleontologist was in the other car. It's the random lawyer that was with you.

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Ha. Now imagine feeling that every few hours to every few days.

Welcome to the club. :p

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Earthquake, hurricane, dogs and cats living together...IT'S MASS HYSTERIA!

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The building I was in was shaking, but I just thought it was some guy running up the stairs. But then they told us to evacuate.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The National Cathedral was significantly damaged?

http://news.yahoo.com/quake-damages-washingtons-national-cathedral-201402193.html

The Washington National Cathedral, the highest point in the capital, suffered damage in Tuesday's earthquake, with three spires in the central tower breaking off of the gothic-style building, a spokesman said.

Richard Weinberg, director of communications at the Episcopal cathedral, said the three pinnacles on the 30-story-high central tower had broken off and were lying in the grass.

"A fourth is leaning," said Weinberg. "There was other minor structural damage to buttresses and smaller pinnacles."

No one was injured from the damage, but the cathedral -- host to state funerals, and memorial services for many U.S. presidents and the site of several presidential inaugural prayer services -- was closed to the public so the building could be inspected.

The cathedral, which weighs 150,000 tons and took 83 years to complete, is a solid masonry structure made of limestone blocks placed one atop another.

The flying buttresses are also solid stone, and they help hold up the walls by bracing them. The roof is held up by a steel beam structure, but does not help hold up the rest of the cathedral.

Other damage reported from the earthquake in Washington occurred at the Ecuador Embassy, a recorded message by the D.C. Fire and EMS agency said.

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Great. Now they're saying Washington Monument is "leaning." edit: Park Service says it's fine.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Be ready for lots of rumours and misinformation.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It was clearly the work of either Mole-People or El Kayda.

13. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    I felt it in Brooklyn, but I thought it was a truck going by or somebody doing something in the building.

14. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Myke, did any of your art suffer?

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It's not art if there isn't suffering.

Yes, but not much. I was inking a page when it hit and some ink spillage cost me a page, but I will endure.

16. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    OH THE HUMANITY!

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Thankfully I have a supportive family to rally around me and keep me moving forward through such harrowing times.

This has ruined everything. Now, I have to order dinner to be delivered so I can catch up by 8. Or, still go out to eat and finish by 11. I should be posting in the first-world dilemmas thread.

18. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    You could auction off the ruined page to raise money for all of the victims of the quake. I'm sure several cats were injured when porcelain figures and other tchotchkes fell off their owners' shelves.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I think I may just do that. Every dog in a 30 block radius was howling for 30 minutes after the quake. I assumed it was nerves, but they probably all had Lennox decor or statues of saints lodged in their skulls.

That random imagining aside, I think I will actually donate the half black page to a cause.

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I'm adding "within range of the earthquake" to my Ghostwriter-style casebook under "Possible Red Herrings"

21. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I await Pat Robertson's thoughts on this.

22. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I've gotten more excitement out of the reactions than the event itself.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Same here. My initial 'excitement' came when it first started because I seriously considered that I was having a heart attack. My arm was shaking horribly. But, then I realized that it was actually my drawing board and then everything started shaking. After the initial shock of "I'm dying", it was all downhill in the thrills department.

24. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    So the prophets didn't see this one coming huh?

25. zombiesmakemehot

zombiesmakemehot Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2011
    Official photos of the devastation just in from FEMA:

[image=http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4530/jmyso.jpg] [image=http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2803/qkyhu.jpg]