main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Official EUC Grey Jedi Fan Club - Unknown, unseen and unsung

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Kev-Mas_Colcha, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Welcome to the Official EUC Grey Jedi Fan Club. In this thread you are invited to partake in discussions based on one of the most misunderstood and ignored groups of Force Users, the Grey Jedi.
    [​IMG]
    To help dissuade some misconceptions and solidify what exactly we will be discussing in this thread, here is a "Frequently Asked Questions".

[​IMG]

What is a Grey Jedi? Isn't that just a Jedi who can use both the light and dark side without any consequences?

There is no light or dark. Only the force. Additionally, we do use both powers that might be considered “light” or “dark”, but we exercise utmost caution with everything we do and never deny the possibility of something going wrong. The Force is very powerful, and as such sometimes the power it gives us can overcome us if we don't know how to properly control it. Good or evil may be relative, but all actions, thoughts and emotions have consequences no matter what you think of them. Every drop can cause a million ripples in a pond, each increasingly larger in size. Whenever you act upon anything you cannot avoid the possibility of something unfavorable happening, but ultimately you need to decide which consequences you are okay with facing. The path of a Grey Jedi is one of responsibility. Everything you do has the potential for great harm, no matter what. But with proper discipline, sometimes you can make the best out of the worst situations and minimize your losses. The key is moderation, self balance, and having an ultimately altruistic final goal in mind.

So, you believe that the ends justify the means?

Not quite. To believe that the ends justify the means would be to believe that eye for an eye is acceptable. To believe that eye for an eye is acceptable would be to believe that revenge is acceptable. Revenge is an incredibly careless act and is impossible to achieve without throwing caution to the wind. Such an irresponsible act is not the way of a Grey Jedi.

When would you ever act?

Rarely. The path of a Grey Jedi is one of knowledge, and study, much like the Jedaai Order of old. The Jedaai Order was what the Jedi were before the schism between Ashla (Jedi) and Bogan (Sith). However, there are a few differences between us and the Jedaai Order. First of all, we don't believe that the Force distinguishes from light or dark. Additionally, we do indeed act in certain situations, rather than remain focused on merely studying the Force. Lastly, we don't have as much of a structure as the Jedaai Order did.

A Grey Jedi would only act in situations regarding the balance of the Force or when the Galaxy is in grave danger from unseen forces. In all of these situations, we would only act only from the shadows; a Grey Jedi has no need for recognition for our actions. In order to do so we make sure that we cannot be recognized and we often place the recognition in the hands of other individuals whom we have influenced in one way or another. More often than not those individuals are more traditional Jedi.

An interesting thing to note, is that there are rumors that the Shaman of the Whills that taught Qui-Gon Jinn how to maintain his identity after death was actually a Grey Jedi. It is an interesting theory and does go along with our teachings (seeing how this eventually led to an imbalance in the Force correcting itself), but we can neither confirm nor deny the it's validity as it is still just a theory.

How does a Grey Jedi channel the Force as compared to a Jedi or Sith?

Well, where a Jedi channels the Force with a clear mind (the absence of emotions), and a Sith channels the Force with hateful, negative emotions, a Grey Jedi channels them using benevolent emotions. A Grey Jedi doesn't dismiss the use of emotion, understanding that they aren't all necessarily harmful. The most important emotion to a Grey Jedi is love. When you truly understand what love really is, you understand what it really means to be a Grey Jedi. This is reflected in our code, and all of our teachings.

What is your code?

There is no zealotry, there is moderation
    There is no pride, there is humility
    There is is no hate, there is love
    There is no good or evil; nor light or dark
    There is the Force

So you have a code... what is the structure of your order like?

Quite simply... we have none. A Grey Jedi has no need for petty things such as titles or ranks. They are the mark of the proud. They symbolize the belief that one being is worth more than another. Yes, while some Grey Jedi are stronger and wiser than others and we still train our initiates in a similar apprenticeship system to the master and padawan system the Jedi have, we hold to the belief that we are only strong because someone else helped us get to where we are.

Do you have a base of operations?

No. The Grey Jedi is a nomadic "order". Emphasis on "order" because it really isn't an order at all. More often than not, most Grey Jedi will never see another Grey Jedi that is not either their master or apprentice. We are many in number, but spread out thin. The more individuals of a like mind in the same place, the more you put them at risk to succumb to religious fanaticism. With that fanaticism comes pride, and with that pride comes self righteousness. With that sort of thinking, we give into intolerance and hate and become exactly what we fight so hard not to become.

Okay, so how does one become a Grey Jedi?

As far as in universe terms go, one does not become a Grey Jedi by their own will. Rather, viable candidates are sought out by other Grey Jedi, either after they have finished their training under a master, or after they have parted ways with an apprentice - whether it be because they finished their training or because of a tragedy that befell them in some way.

However, for this thread, to join, simply say you are interested. There will be no ranks in the thread but once we do get a RPG up and running in the RPF you are welcome to choose whether to play as a Master or an Apprentice, depending upon Character Sheet approval of course.

Our current members are:

Kev-Mas_Colcha
    Hando
    s65horsey
    Cushing's Admirer

[​IMG]

For the sake of organization, we do have roles that we give to our members. You do not run for these seats, but rather you are nominated by your peers. No role is better than another and they all serve equal purpose. It is not mandatory that you take the position however and in that case you are given the option to nominate another individual not currently holding a seat, or the position will go to the next runner up without a seat.

Once we have a suitable amount of members we will hold nominations, and after that they will rotate every month or individually if the current member holding that seat vacates it, either by choice or by inactivity.

There are just three roles for now, but more may be added in later by necessity:

Discussion Coordinator
    The member who holds this role is responsible for coming up with the bi-weekly discussion topics. These discussions must be on topic for the thread, of course, but as long as it does and keeps in line with the board's TOS (Terms of Service), almost anything is acceptable for discussion. Whether it be discussing Expanded Universe Material, the Star Wars movie franchise, Philosophy, you name it. As long as you can find a way to relate it to the Grey Jedi and discuss it accordingly, it's fair game.

This position holds steeper activity requirements than a normal member (twice a week instead of twice a month), seeing how they need to be active enough to post a new discussion topic twice a week.

Senate Representative
    If you're familiar with the EUC Senate, this should be fairly simple and straightforward. As a Senate Representative you will be our Senator and have a Senate seat in the EUC Senate. This role is inactive for the moment due to the current state of the senate, but it is anticipated that it will be needed in due time.

Role Play Coordinator
    We intend to Role Play a great deal. Most of the details that go into the teachings and philosophy we follow here are unfortunately fanon, and as such we have to flesh out the stories behind it ourselves. What better way to do it than Role Play. The Role Play Coordinator will be in charge of creating new games over in the RPF, and possibly (depending on their cooperation) speaking with the Guardians of Light and the New Sith Order in order to create a more wide scale game.

[​IMG]

Additionally, to keep things civil and maintain this thread without it becoming inactive, we have some rules.

1. Respect one another. We are all equals, and no one individual is better than another, even if that individual is a non-member just passing through. If an argument comes to a point where no one party can come to an agreement, it is advised that you simply agree to disagree and remember that each person is entitled to their opinion and they have the right to hold it without being harassed. This goes hand in hand with the TOS, but seeing how it relates to our philosophy I thought it would be important to include it here.
    2. We do have some attendance requirements, and you will be required to check in bi-monthly (at your behest). It is recommended that you take this time to participate in a currently running discussion topic, though not entirely necessary in case you don't have anything relevant to add. If you hold a role and you miss two check ins in a month, a replacement will be nominated in your stead. However, regardless of if you hold a seat or not, it is still recommended to check in and remain active in case we need you to fill a role vacated by someone else due to inactivity or other reasons.
    3. If for any reason you are unable to keep up in terms of inactivity, please post letting us know that you will be absent so we can put you on hiatus (and elect a temporary replacement for any positions you hold).
    4. Last but definitely not least, follow the Terms of Service and respect your Forum Moderators.
    [​IMG]

That being said, let me give you our first discussion topic:

Going forward with the new Canon Expanded Universe, do you think that they will flesh out more details about the Grey Jedi, or at the very least include like minded Force Users?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    This is mostly what I am personally inclined to. The only issue I have is I do believe there is good and evil. Otherwise almost everything said is in line with me. :)

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  3. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    So do you wish to join?

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, if that difference is respected. :)

5. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Yes, it's perfectly fine. I'll add you to the list.

Kato Sai and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  6. GrimdarkRose

GrimdarkRose Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 19, 2015
    May I join? The Grey Jedi philosophy suits me perfectly. Firmly on the side of the light, seeking knowledge and understanding, and accepting positive emotions rarther than shunning them.
    (Description is not my strong point, as you've probably guessed by now.)

Reffering to the discussion topic, I think there will almost certainly be like-minded force users - if not in the films then in the books, videogames etc. Actual Grey Jedi philosophy? Less likely, but not impossible.

I'd like Luke Skywalker to be more grey, and rebuild the Jedi that way. Aside from anything else, it would eliminate the flaws that played a part in the original order's destruction.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think Grey is more about balance and that's what sapients need. Suppression of emotion isn't healthy, denial isn't either. I think this is the modern Jedi's mortal flaw. To have balance one much be honest but likewise have a means of chanelling, purging, and release that isn't destructive. I am speaking from experience as this quest is one I am really on.

8. GrimdarkRose

Jul 19, 2015
    I have to confirm I meant 'Good' not 'light' but my edit time ran out. Didn't notice until now.

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's so annoying when it happens to us, isn't it? Lol. It happens to me, and I'm like, "Ugh! I'm going to look foolish!"

Cushing's Admirer, I think that there are times when the Jedi do not seem sapient due to a lack of good judgment. Making things black and white prevents one from discerning the whole picture sometimes, or oftentimes, really. That's one of the things that makes Yoda, pre-TESB Yoda, seem to be less sagacious and too sure of himself, in my eyes at least. We could blame it on bad writing and other things, but it's in his character, even at an extremely advanced old age, to put too much faith in the old way. That's my take on it.

There are other characters like the Dark Woman and Mace Windu who could be described as Grey Jedi, but they were either too loyal to the Old Jedi ways or were stagnant in their approach. Well, that's more applicable to Windu and his stubbornness, but he has his own love for the Republic and civilization over the Jedi way, a paradox he never truly settled in his mind. Later Grey Jedi like Kyle Katarn were to balance out the disparate emotions and influences in their lives in a better way. I would argue that Mara Jade and Jaina Solo had Grey Jedi traits, and I imagine Anakin Solo would have developed many had he lived. I think that many pre-prequel era Jedi had Grey Jedi aspects to their personalities, and I'm not saying that only because they were allowed to love and form attachments, but that is a big part of it. The old EU stories illustrate that the Jedi, in many eras, are people just like us. They are not weird space aliens. Well, they are weird space aliens, I suppose, but we can relate to them better. A lot of people like to dog on Jaina Solo, but I like her and feel bad for the choices she is forced to make and all those she lost. I like Nomi Sunrider, Bastila Shan, Ahsoka Tano, Luke Skywalker, and Mara Jade, and I feel for them when they go through anything and do something, whether I agree with it or not. I would argue that even the Jedi in the prequel era were capable of being Grey Jedi. They just weren't allowed to be public about it. Classic example: In TCW, I'd say that Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Mace Windu knew that Anakin was in love with Padme, or at least unhealthily attached to her, and as Yoda said, Anakin had to let go of his selfishness and insecurities. They valued him as a warrior and general, but they weren't happy about Anakin keeping the truth from them. It's like when a young adult is stubborn and won't tell you something, but you know what they're doing and thinking. This led me to believe that Yoda was concerned for Anakin's well-being, something that didn't seem important in the movies, that Obi-Wan relates to Anakin due to his feelings for Satine, though Obi-Wan is capable of remaining professional and not losing his mind over it, and that, well, Mace Windu relates to Anakin because both of them are ruthless, ambitious warriors who are determined to win, though Windu doesn't want to cross all the lines Anakin crosses. A lot of that stuff and Ahsoka's own secrets and desires show that the prequel era Jedi were more complicated than the movies show and that Order really needed to change, evolve, and, well, become Grey. That's what Luke arrived for, among other things. ;)

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Mon Mothma's advice to Luke in Ambush at Corellia seemed to me very much like a "Grey Jedi manifesto"

"I believe, and believe strongly, that the Republic needs Jedi that get their hands dirty, that are part of the Republic's daily life. Jedi that live in ivory towers might be more dangerous than no Jedi at all. You need look no further than our very recent history to see that it has been the Dark Jedi that have sought isolation. To be a Jedi of the Light, a Jedi must be one with the people. There must be a Jedi on every planet, a Jedi in every city- not a few planets full of Jedi and nothing else. There must be Jedi doing what ordinary folk do. Jedi who are ordinary folk. There must be Jedi doctors and judges and soldiers and pilots-- and politicians."

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Great quote. I always liked Mon Mothma. I was sad when her death was revealed. Her views a wonderful contrast to all the anti-Jediism we see in the EU. I can see why she was the leader of the Rebellion after Bail Organa's death and Garm Bel Iblis's interesting thing. I imagine that in-universe people missed her when people like Borsk and Daala were in charge, although it is debatable whether she was more adept to serve as leader of a revolution against the Empire than she was as head of state of a nascent new republic. But that's a whole different topic in and of itself. I like how Mothma was able to see Luke and the Jedi for their potential and worth instead of judging and fearing them without trying to understand them.

12. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Yes, you may join. I'll add you to the roster.... Er, I would if I could still edit. I'll have a mod edit it in, but for now I'll just post the roster here.

Our current members are:

Kev-Mas_Colcha
    Hando
    s65horsey
    Cushing's Admirer
    GrimdarkRose

Additionally, that is an interesting quote by Mon Mothma, and definitely fits what a Grey Jedi is to a tee. A Grey Jedi isn't concerned about posh titles and dislikes being looked up on by "common folk", so them assimilating themselves into normal society is exactly the kind of thing they'd do.

13. GrimdarkRose

Jul 19, 2015
    Thank you! :)

Sinrebirth and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  14. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Alright. Time to freshen things up with a new discussion topic.

If you were to see one canon character go down the path of a Grey Jedi, who would it be, and how would they change in the process?

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I've always felt that Film Dooku would suit a Grey just fine. He's not like any other Sith. Really the only major change I consider likely is perhaps his arrogance may lessen.

DarthIshyZ and Sinrebirth like this.
  16. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Yeah, definitely his pride would have to take a severe fall to go grey... probably if Anakin had spared him and he lost the Clone Wars he would end up redeeming himself and later going down that path.

17. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    You guys ever seen the Grey Jedi robes in KOTOR 2?

18. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Davak24 yes, and they are one of the only places in canon (old canon anyways) where Grey Jedi actually are mentioned.

19. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Interesting.

Sinrebirth and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  21. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    Oh um hello. Sorry if anyone saw that. Didn't know that this wonderful club existed (and had a code and all that)
    As for a film character becoming Gray, I think Rey (dun dun dun) would make a great Gray. I though of this after watching some clone wars episodes and one master said "This is not the way of the jedi to be generals" or something along those lines. I can imgine Luke refusing to train Rey because her negative emotions to the First Order would prevent her from training purely in the Jedi way (if jedi premote peace how the HECK could Rey be a restitance soilder). Then it turns out that Luke has a gray jedi aquantince and sends her that way.
    However "Grey Jedi" wouldn't be a good name for them because they aren't really jedi. Maybe another name like keepers of balance would work.

Darth Majestic and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    We have a grey Jedi fanclub. This belongs there.

23. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I would love to be added, if I may.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Considering the Grey clothing Luke is wearing at the end of Awakens, y'all may be onto something with this grey Jedi Business. [\spoiler]

25. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    So, is this still ongoing, or no? :p

Darth Dreadwar likes this.