main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Official EUC Grey Jedi Fan Club - Unknown, unseen and unsung

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Kev-Mas_Colcha, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Well as long as they all are referring to their functional duties more than serving as a label (like they are) I think it's fine. So I approve. By the way, the reason why I hold this policy is rooted to what I hold as a key tenet of (at least my own) Grey Jedi philosophy, and that is humility. Basically, stuff like acknowledging that you are who you are not just through your own doing but from the guidance and assistance of all those who helped you along the way because it is hard to keep a low profile while your ego is showing and it is hard to restore balance while everyone, including those who seek to destroy it, is watching. I do sense a glimmer of such thinking in Mitth's "tempered light and tempered darkness" speech however so it seems like it has stuck.

I would like to see more of what you have come up with though, so if you want you can PM me the details.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  2. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Those ranks are for the RP, and the best part of RPing a grey jedi should be seeing the journey. Playing a 'grey jedi' and not seeing how they got 'there' serves no purpose, imo. That's the problem with traditional jedi in general, we never see their growth or trials, except if you read all the books, or follow a canon character, like Obi Wan, who had a YA series, I think...but wait....all that is legends now. Additionally, we only get to see Anakin's path to his fall and so on. ( but this is an entirely different topic, sorry for digressing.)

I've been mulling over a few things, like just launching the Grey Jedi RP as a separate Grey Jedi Faction in the RPF, since this one is established quite solidly. It would not do to amend what has been set by another's vision for so very long. The foundation is everything, and to that point, you have returned, which opens many opportunities.

I must meditate on this some more. Thanks for providing much needed food for thought. :-B

3. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    That is appreciated. Thank you.

Also if you want to see the journey, here's an idea for the RPG: have all players start out as a novice trained by a mentor (which for the first batch of players is a GM controlled character). I think it'd be a very wise thing to do, since the Grey Jedi philosophy isn't one that a lot of people know or at least get right (there's still a lot of people who think that a Grey Jedi is merely just a force user who can use both sides of the force without any penalty. Which is false, because that sort of thing requires a lot of mental training and inner balance to pull off. In a lot of ways the path of a Grey Jedi is a lot tougher than that of a Jedi or Sith).

4. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Indeed, I've been playing a grey jedi off the boards for many years now. These concepts are a staple. There will be many degrees showcased in the game, some will be novices and some more advanced. In time you will see for yourself. It won't be a large group, which helps to show the path being traveled.

5. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    The relatively small group is also a good reason to start all players out as novices. Games with a small group of people usually fizzle out rather quickly unless said people are all started at the bottom and work together as a team (like a tabletop RPG campaign).

Heck, I would be willing to start as a novice in the RPG if it was made that way. I'm already writing out my main OC's path that way in the fan fic I'm writing and he's in his 50s in the time it takes place in.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  6. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    I'm smiling, because I've been a tabletop and online GM for well over a decade. Thank you for the kind words, just the same. I have a few seasoned players already onboard, coupled with in-depth planning. :)

Seeing this realized is quite exciting and I'm pretty certain all will be well.

Best of luck with that Fan Fic. Stay the course and finish that which you've started.

*bows*

7. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    We sure do have a lot of tabletop gamers around here. Alright gamers, how big is your dice bag? :p

greyjedi125 and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  8. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Things are in motion that cannot be stopped. :D

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  9. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    You're welcome and thank you. I'm nearly done with the first novel in the series, just have a little bit of the chapter I'm working on to go before I start on the last chapter.

I've got a leather pouch that's about 6-8 inches or so that I store mine in, but it is getting rather full...

greyjedi125 likes this.
  10. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    [​IMG]

Got this leather bag at the MN RenFest about 16 years ago. When I was younger I used to have a Crown Royal bag full of dice, figured that was overkill.

Sent from Parts Unknown

11. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Crown Royal dice bag! Now that's a first I've ever heard.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  12. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002

That's about the same size as my dice bag which I got from the AZ RenFest. Mine is all black with a red dragon on it.

I actually know quite a few people that have done that. Crown Royal bags are perfect for repurposing into such things.

Also, a slight off topic is that I have just finished the second to last chapter of my fan fic. For further reference, a table of contents is here. Another fact that I forgot to mention is that this fan fic is essentially co-written with Kahn_Iceay (who has a good amount of history in one of the previous Grey Jedi fan clubs here, the Templars of Twilight) as one of the characters in it is his. After this fic is finished however he will be working on his own sequel while I work on mine.

EDIT: Now chapter 15 is up, and the fic is completed.

13. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002

I have a wooden box filled with dice, since I'm the GM. On average, it contains at least 6 D6, 2D4, 2D8, 2D10, 1D12, 2D20, 1D30. I prefer the translucent purple ones, but I have regular black and white, iridescent, black and red, metallic and a few others.

I used to have a black pouch like the one you're holding in your palm, but it got lost during a move. That was my best set and I miss them dearly. :p

EDIT:

I love hearing about creative collaborations on and off the boards. It really elevates the gaming and creative experience we all share. Excellent all around.

14. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Alright, so on the first order of business, now that I am back I need to take a roll call. Also, I need to fill some of the positions. This information will be used in a requested update to the first post (I have to get a mod to do it, since edit time is limited and it has long since expired).

[​IMG]

From what I have gathered, the current members are as follows:

Kev-Mas_Colcha
    Mitth_Fisto
    Sinrebirth
    Mikaboshi
    greyjedi125
    The Vanguard

Do we have anyone else?

[​IMG]

Also, here are the roles we have currently. I do believe one of them is filled (which I have marked down next to it's name), but the other ones are open for nominations and I am willing to allow self nominations for the sake of getting things rolling. I am also taking suggestions for additional roles we might have some use for. It is my personal wish to have every member feel like they have a greater purpose in this thread.

Discussion Coordinator - Open
    The member who holds this role is responsible for coming up with the bi-weekly discussion topics. These discussions must be on topic for the thread, of course, but as long as it does and keeps in line with the board's TOS (Terms of Service), almost anything is acceptable for discussion. Whether it be discussing Expanded Universe Material, the Star Wars movie franchise, Philosophy, you name it. As long as you can find a way to relate it to the Grey Jedi and discuss it accordingly, it's fair game.

This position holds steeper activity requirements than a normal member (twice a week instead of twice a month), seeing how they need to be active enough to post a new discussion topic twice a week.

Apprentice Recruiters - Open
    These members are responsible for greeting new and fresh faces that come to the thread, answering any questions they have about ourselves, encouraging them to join our ranks and if they do seek to join, getting them set up and acquainted with everyone.

This position is the only position available to multiple members, since we always will need to have one at hand to greet new members. At the moment this position is open for two members, who ideally would be two members living in opposite time zones.

Role Play Coordinator - greyjedi125
    We intend to Role Play a great deal. Most of the details that go into the teachings and philosophy we follow here are unfortunately fanon, and as such we have to flesh out the stories behind it ourselves. What better way to do it than Role Play. The Role Play Coordinator will be in charge of creating new games over in the RPF, and possibly (depending on their cooperation) speaking with the Guardians of Light and the New Sith Order in order to create a more wide scale game.

Kato Sai, Mitth_Fisto and greyjedi125 like this.
  15. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    RP Coordinator sounds perfect. Do you still have time to EDIT? You have me and The Vanguard as one name. :p

Kato Sai likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm living in the thread but not contributing too much to be fair.

*snoozes*

Though I would be happy to teach, as a former higher level member, and definitely would approve of a Mod presence on the Grey Cadre, or Council.

Grey, myself, and Kev, per se?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kato Sai likes this.
  17. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Awesome, and edited :p the editor on these boards still doesn't seem to want to cooperate with me

Edited you on there as well... and most definitely I'll be asking for your help with updating the opening post once it's ready

As far as this thread, we don't have any members indicated as teachers or students per se, but we will in the RPG that greyjedi125 will be creating. As far as the organization of this thread is concerned, the power structure is an anarchy :p

Kato Sai likes this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I think it would be prudent to open a new thread when we have order, to draw a line under the interregnum.

A hierarchy can be abandoned but it will need to be firmed up one day - or does it? Do we need a Council, a Grandmaster, or equivalent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    The Council of Elders, as indicated in the RPG. There is order in the material universe, it should not be any different in the Grey Order.

EDIT

Question: What Era/ year do you propose the RPG take place in.

Sinrebirth, Kev-Mas_Colcha, Mitth_Fisto, The Vanguard

20. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Well my original concept, per OP is as such:

"The Grey Jedi is a nomadic "order". Emphasis on "order" because it really isn't an order at all. More often than not, most Grey Jedi will never see another Grey Jedi that is not either their master or apprentice. We are many in number, but spread out thin. The more individuals of a like mind in the same place, the more you put them at risk to succumb to religious fanaticism. With that fanaticism comes pride, and with that pride comes self righteousness. With that sort of thinking, we give into intolerance and hate and become exactly what we fight so hard not to become. "

Additionally, the concept was that they'd blend in with everyday galactic citizens and do their work behind the scenes. However, it might be conceded that there could be a council that comes together to meet when need be at a random discreet location, but after that scatter and blend in again.

Also, I personally would prefer the RPG to be in the New Republic era, maybe around 5-10 years after Yavin, and keeping in line with Sinrebirth 's one canon as well.

Don't forget to tag Mikaboshi as well for these group wide polls.

Kato Sai likes this.
  21. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    The distant past. The far flung future. The tumultous present. All is open but also closed, are we aiming to stick with movie cannon, legends, books. . . or create something AU? Take from those worlds already fashioned?

22. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    I will state that for the purpose of the RPG, the grey jedi will have a Home planet ( that's one of my core reasons to make the game separate from the EUC, but we can revisit that via PM if necessary ). Nomadic members are a default, of course, as are stories told retroactively of grey jedi involvement throughtout the different eras. That should prove a lot of fun to explore.

I was also thinking New Republic Era as a starting point of our story, so at least there's that.

I simply forgot to add Mikaboshi. Thanks for the reminder.

*continues to ponder and meditate, adjust notes*

EDIT

I must also contend that I d not necessarily agree with this statement:
    The more individuals of a like mind in the same place, the more you put them at risk to succumb to religious fanaticism. With that fanaticism comes pride, and with that pride comes self righteousness. With that sort of thinking, we give into intolerance and hate and become exactly what we fight so hard not to become. "

Though it can be proven true, this is not what I call a guaranteed result. The possibility is there even if only two people are involved. Should all grey be loners then? Seeking to completely avoid this outcome through total isolation is not necessarily a win, imo. *( another ideological reason which differs from what I had in mind )

*I have to crash. Will only get 4 hrs before work, if that. We'll continue this soon. I look fwd to responses. Mtfbwy! :)

23. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Can't wait for this! I can really see it taking flight and contributing even more to the RP community!

The Grey path has seemingly endless possibilities.

24. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    I find myself agreeing with greyjedi125 on the topic of fanaticism, even one person all by him/herself can become radicalized. I also like the idea of more structure, in the past a decentralized type of organization was attempted and it didn't really get much traction or attention. We have had more activity in here since March than we have in the previous 4 years, and it is because of the collaborative effort made by those who are interested in seeing this revived.

I would love to see this group move forward with the ideas we have discussed over the past month or two, both in here and in the RPF.

Change can be good, it can be refreshing and in my humble opinion is essential to a Grey revival.

25. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm for the New Republic era. As far as the discussion about keeping order vs. being loosely affiliated with eachother...

Ideally, the Grey Jedi would be nomadic and free to roam where they please without accountability or structure. But on the boards I fear that will just be perceived as non-active and uncommitted. I think more people would benefit from the experience if we had more rank and structure, so players can identify with the group and 'find their place.' This is just my perspective and am open to the discussion evolving..

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Mikaboshi like this.