1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Challenge - April 2006

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Each month we will post up four topics on different themes that people can choose from. You can submit drawings, paintings, posters, collage, photo-manipulation... whatever you're inspired to do.

Here are the previous Fan Art Challenges:

March 2006
    February 2006
    January 2006
    December 2005
    November 2005
    October 2005
    July 2005
    June 2005
    April 2005
    March 2005
    February 2005
    January 2005
    December 2004
    October 2004

This is not a contest, and everyone is welcome to post responses to this thread, regardless of whether you've ever posted anything in this forum. Please don't be nervous or discouraged, because all of us would love to see your fanart!

Here are the topics for April:

APRIL FAN ART CHALLENGE:
    (Special thanks go out AG88 for suggesting this month's topics!)

Characters:Jagged Fel or The Rancor
    Scene:The Immolation Scene (ROTS) or The scene that best represents your favorite character
    Thing: Choose your favorite fan fic here at TFN and come up with the coverart for that particular story
    Fun:In light of Spring and Easter, draw a springtime scene with an object(s) or character(s) from the SW universe incorporated into it in some way.

The Usual Few Notes:

-Please post your images in this thread so we can have them all collected in one area, but of course you're also allowed to post them in your own artwork threads.

-You can submit fanart for one topic, or do all of them. It is up to you.

-Comments for everyone's artwork should also be posted in this thread. Even if you're not participating yourself, your comments are more than welcome.

-If you have suggestions for future topics, please PM them to me or post them in the Artist's Lounge Social Thread.

That's it. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of great artwork and hopefully we'll see some amazing pieces. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post 'em here.

The deadline for this challenge is April 30th./>/>
  2. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
  3. Vanyoda Force Ghost

star 1
    I haven't posted since the Xmas challenge,been very busy
    with school.Really nice work Chilla!! I'm posting two Easter
    pieces,the first an old piece from last year and the second
    a new animated gif avatar I just made that I'm using on a
    different site.
    (1024 X 768)
    [image=http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7342/sitheaster11ch.jpg]

New animated gif,
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2638/easteregg6wa.gif

4. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    VanYoda

Ok, I don't know WHY LFL hasn't thought of doing Chocolate Yodas! ROTFLMA! [face_laugh] God that's hysterical.

Love the egg/Vader Chamber too :D

Chilla - Jaina and the flower is sweet :)
  5. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks, Vanyoda and PadmeLeiaJaina! [:D]

[face_laugh] Vanyoda, that's hilarious! Big ROFL to your Vader in the egg. =D= Great work!
  6. odj_310388 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1610/untitled14zq.jpg]

Got a new graphics tablet today so I had to do something for this challenge. :p
  7. Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Master

star 4
    I love everyone's work. VanYoda, you are a genius! :D
  8. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Looks great so far, everyone!

The chocolate Yodas are great, Vanyoda!

odj, awesome line drawing of the rancor! :D
  9. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Chilla - Nice work, very spring-like. It's simple, but gives a very fresh feeling at the same time.

Vanyoda - Haha, good stuff! I didn't click on what was going to happen with the animated egg either. I had to pass that one along to a few friends.

odj_310388 - Nifty Rancor! Good stuff for a graphics tablet too. I'm never good at using them, but I think I might have to get one soon to try.

My piece is the Immolation Scene from ROTS, but since it's actually one I had drawn just short of a year ago, I thought it was kind of cheating, so I created a new Immolation Scene piece. While it's not the ROTS scene, it is Vader in flames. Definitely a different tone to the whole scene from ROTS to ROTJ.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2005/anakins-death.jpg]
    "Anakin's Death"

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2006/one-with-the-force.jpg]
    "One With The Force"

10. Excalibur14 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey everyone...great stuff so far, I can't wait to submit mine, (don't know if I should do it in color or leave penciled.)

Anyway

Odj- Love the rancor. I think you did an awesome job with the graphic tablet. I found it tough to use when I first got mine, but really really cool.

Basement- I'm a big fan of your work, and absolutely love the Immolation scene and its companion. The Funeral Pyre scene is truly awesome and I think you captured that emotion of peace in it.
    Really Awesome!

Excalibur14
  11. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Very powerful stuff, Basement! I know this was your intention but those pieces compliment each other rather nicely. Nice job achieving that effect! =D=
  12. Giolon05 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I know I posted this at the very end of March in my own thread, but it was so perfect for the theme I had to bring it over:

Daru on a nice spring day on Naboo:
    [image=http://www.radiantcg.com/HiRes/thumb/Daru-Naboo-2-Tn.jpg]
    Full Image
    Hi Resolution
  13. Ryuuri-chan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Happy Easter !

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31846746/
  14. doctoryoda Force Ghost

star 7
    I've already seen that Anakin burning pic before. About two weeks ago :p
  15. Alley_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmm...hope no one minds if I just sorta jump in...

Cover art for Never A Master by Luna_Nightshade

[image=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/Alley_411/NeverAmastercoverArt.jpg]
  16. latetowork Jedi Knight

DarkStarDragon from March was great.
  17. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Very nice work everybody.

JL
  18. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Sorry that I haven't been around lately. My computer was acting screwy so I couldn't do much painting until I got a new computer. I don't really like how this coverart came out, but the deadline is swiftly approaching and I am tired of working on it. This coverart is for the story Choices that can be read over at the TFN fanfiction section of this site: Choices

It is a heartwarming story about Luke and a whole bunch of Mara clones. :p

In this scene Mara just discovered that Luke not only had a Mara clone of his own, but he also impregnated her. She wasn't too happy. It is a PG rated fic, but very strange.

I did use a photo for Luke's head, but everything else was created using either Bryce 5.5, Poser 6, or I painted it using Corel Painter IX.

[image=http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1718/copyofproject22cy.jpg]

AG88
  19. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Here is another fanfic coverart I finished today.

AG88

[image=http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4232/darkladyjade12hp.jpg]
  20. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Awesome offerings from everyone so far this month! =D= I think some of my favs are the Vader/Easter Egg (LMAO!), the Rancor lineart piece and of course, the stunning Immolation Scene (and its companion piece as well...sighs...). And AG88--you're the "Coverart Queen" now, I'm certain! [face_laugh]

Here's mine: of Jagged Fel, although it's not just him...this is the sort of "book-cover" layout piece I started and finally finished last night. The ship is a Chiss Clawcraft, design by artist Jeff Carlisle--I found it with a search, fell in love with it and just had to include it in this piece (she's Jag's ship of choice, after all! ;) ). My reproduction of Jeff's ship isn't exact--I omitted a lot of detailing (...lazy...)--but it's pretty close! So--credit to Jeff Carlisle for the Clawcraft, and here it is:

Jagged Fel

Great stuff people! This is always a great place to look at all the wonderful creativity in our forum!

FF
  21. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    I have actually have stuff that I can use to participate in a challenge!

My first attempt at a Jag portrait:

[image=http://xea.xanga.com/f5ab766227c3239412569/b26942638.gif]

And a fanfic coveart I made this week:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Random/Splinters3.jpg]
  22. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I have a few issues to bring up before starting up the Fan Art Challenge for this month.

First of all, I noticed a considerable drop-off in participation in the challenges for a while now. I'm wondering if you're just bored with the idea, if it's redundant or if you just need a break? If it is redundancy and bordom, what factors do you want added and/or changed to the challenges to spruce them up?

Or if it's just too much right now, would stopping them for the summer then bringing them back in the fall help in getting interest back up? I know sometimes things get boring when you do them over and over again(like watching your favorite movie). To bring the excitement back, you need to put it down for a while then come back to it when your mind is fresh.

Let me know what you think. :)
  23. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't know about anyone else, but my reasons for not participating this month were one, I was busy with school (easier to do it in the summer...), and two, I didn't really get caught by any of the categories.
  24. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm not really sure what to do to inspire more posts, but I do know myself I really enjoy the challenges. Sometimes I have 'artists block' and don't know what to draw, so this helps me out with an idea I might like to try, and never thought of on my own.

I think summer would be a bad time to stop it though since more people will have more time on their hands. While I did participate this month, it was about the only piece I did draw at all because I'm just strapped for time right now. I like to draw and things like this keep me going! :)

I'm wondering if maybe a voting system for what the piece of the month would be might help get people involved? It might defeat the purpose of the 'challenge' though...

One idea might be to keep it pinned for the month it's running, then unpin it and let it drop down into the regular threads after the month is up. Sometimes it can be wiped off the main page pretty fast, so maybe some people are missing that it's happening, or just forget about it.

I guess, in short, I just don't want to see the challenge go away. Keep it going is my vote! :D
  25. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone! This is exactly what I was looking for! :)

I like Basement's idea of making the Challenge thread a sticky each month then returning it to normal at the end.

Topics is another thing that I'm running low on as we go further with more challenges, so ideas are always welcome for that.

Any other ideas before we move forward?
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.