1. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney… Now discussing:

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Challenge (August)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Welcome to the Offical Fan Art Challenge! Each month, artists of all skill levels will be able to choose between a list of topics in six categories based on the "Essential Guide" books(Characters, Aliens/Species, Droids, Vehicles, Location and a Wild Card). A wide range of media will be accepted including, but not limited to, graphite/ink drawings, paintings, photo-manips, digitial paintings/drawings, collages and posters. It's really whatever you're inspired to do. Be creative! If the subject is a TIE Fighter, don't just draw a TIE Fighter, try to incorporate it into a scene that's interesting. Or perhaps you would rather take the Alliance's view on the TIE. The possibilities are endless!

*NEW*
    As an extra twist, the Challenge will now be considered as a contest or a game. At the end of each quarter(Fall;September-November, Winter;December-February, Spring;March-May, Summer;June-August), all pieces of artwork submitted during that particular time period will be up for nomination for the "Art Challenge Fan Favorite Award." If your artwork makes it through the nomination process and wins the final vote, you will be awarded colors of your choosing and a title for a week to sport around the entire JC. Good luck to all participants!

Past Winners:

1. Fall 2006 - academygrad88; Boba Fett and Family
    2. Winter 2007 - DarthMikus; Quinlan Vos
    3. Spring 2007 - BIEREN; Darth Vader
    4. Summer 2007 - COULD BE YOU!

Some Guidelines to Follow:

2. Please post your images in this thread so we can have them all collected in one area, but of course you're also allowed to post them in your own artwork threads.

3. You can submit fanart for one topic, or do all of them. It is up to you.

4. Comments for everyone's artwork should also be posted in this thread. Even if you're not participating yourself, your comments are more than welcome.

5. Everyone is welcomed to post responses to this thread regardless of whether you post in the Fan Art forum or not. Please don't be nervous or discouraged. We would all love to see your work!

6. If you have suggestions for future topics, please PM them to HanSolo29 or post them in this thread.

7. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

8. Fan Art Challenge for August:

Characters: Anakin Skywalker

Aliens/Creatures: Rodian

Droids: MSE-6(Mouse) Droid

Vehicle: TIE Fighter

Wild Card: Depict how you think your favorite SW characters would spend their summer vacations.

Due Date: August 31st/>/>
  9. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Here's mine for the EU category. It's based off one of the very brief shots of Padmé from the new Clone Wars trailer. I love that CGI style already, and I really didn't think I would.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2007/padme-the-clone-wars.jpg]
  10. Grand_Admiral_Sean8 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello, newbie here (just arrived from the O.S. Forums on the recommendation of a regular TF.N poster). I have what is no doubt a stupid question, but better safe than sorry, and I need to get used to the controls on this board, anyhow. In the words of Rex, "I'm still getting used to my programming!" [face_batting]

Basically, are we allowed to visually "reinterpret" an existing official image? For instance, R.F. Bachs (of Jedi versus Sith fame) draws in a uniquely cartoonish style. Am I allowed to re-draw one of his characters or scenes in my own style?

Thank you for your anticipated assistance! [face_peace]

Force be,
    ~The Admiral
  11. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    First of all, welcome to the JC and specifically, Fan Art! It's great to have you! :)

Would this be for the Wild Card category? If so, I see no problem with it since technically you are still visualizing your own interpretation of an event in the EU. Have fun with this! :)
  12. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Am I it for the whole month then...? Awww.... :(

Although I seem to remember that there was a June-July-August drought last year as well that caused us to almost cancel the challenge.
  13. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    I've been gone from this forum for a while and didn't catch the deadline in time, I wish I had! Hopefully it will pick up again once school is in session. :D
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Yes, the summer months seem to be the slow time for the Challenge, but are going to keep on truckin'. I'm currently working on the July topics(a bit late - sorry, guys) and it should be posted later on tonight. :)
  15. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Here's my entry for Jango Fett:

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2007/humiliation-of-defeat.jpg]

EDIT: And also my entry for the Gungans, Jar Jar Binks:

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2007/jar-jar-binks.jpg]
  16. fettspawn Jedi Padawan

First off I am pretty new to the boards, although I have been visiting the site for a few years now. I was just wondering what size I should make the images so they don't take up a screen and half. I will try and post an image later today. I really just want to start getting some feedback on my art. By the way Basement 24, I really like the Jango Fett with the reflective visor, very cool.
  17. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Welcome to Fan Art, fettspawn!

To answer your question, there is no set size for images. We just ask that you have some courtesy for those who are on a dial-up connection. I hope that helps and I can't wait to see some of your artwork! :)
  18. fettspawn Jedi Padawan

ok I am not very message board savy, so please forgive me, for this question. How do you post a picture? I did a piece on Echo Base in Corel Painter and really want to show it on the board. I saved it as a JPeg file. The help would be greatly appreciated.
  19. fettspawn Jedi Padawan

[image=http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/fettspawn/Hoth_2_JayS.jpg]

ok I had to go back and remember my photobucket account, but it seems to work. Click the image for a better look, its a little distorted in the thumbnail. As I mentioned I did this in Corel Painter X, I am big fan of Ryan Church. Please leave some feedback. I have not done many landscape type scenes so this was a bit of a challenge.
  20. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Very nice painting, fettspawn! =D=

Your use of perspective is very good here. I also like your use of loose, painterly lines. It helps to convey the flurry and determination that was evident in this particular battle. Nice job! Thanks for sharing your work with us! :)
  21. fettspawn Jedi Padawan

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback. I will try and work on another piece over the weekend. I hope more people post post with their work as well. Even if its not recent.
  22. BIEREN Force Ghost

star 3
    Jango Fett....
    http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tmorrisonuv0.jpg
  23. fettspawn Jedi Padawan

Very nice Jango and Clone Bieren, Just keep working on foreshortening. Very nice rendering and shading though, thats something that I have been trying to get better at lately. I have been practicing with some tech pens, brush pens, and black and gray sketch markers. Anyway, here is my next entry, again it was done in Corel Painter, my wife thinks that I should leave the explosion out, but I kinda like it. Or I could improve it? What do you think? Thats the wonderful part about illustrating in Corel I could change it quickly.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/fettspawn/infiltrator_JS.jpg
  24. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
  25. fettspawn Jedi Padawan

Great job there early-bird-obi-wan. Are all of those entries oil paintings? Its cool to see so many different art styles and mediums from the fans.
  26. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sweet, nice work, Earlybird!

Here's my Anakin entry:

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2007/anakin-skywalker-podracer.jpg]
    ANAKIN SKYWALKER, PODRACER

27. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Wow! Nice job, everyone! We had a great turn-out for August so far, hopefully we can keep that trend going! Keep it up!

I'm also working on a submission for this month's challenge(*gasp!*) and hopefully I'll have it done within the next two weeks or so by the end of the month. :)
  28. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    :D

**waits (im)patiently for HS29's submission**

:p ;) [face_dancing]

Fantastic work so far, everyone! =D==D=

FF
  29. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
  30. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    For the wildcard, Grand Admrial Thrawn on vacation.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/ThrawnRocks/Louvre.jpg]
  31. Indigirl Jedi Padawan

I hope I'm not too late^^ Here's my entry for the Rodian category- [image=http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/243/3/7/JCF_Contest_Andla_Ronnd_by_Indigirl.jpg]
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.