main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Challenge (August)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome to the Offical Fan Art Challenge! Each month, a single subject or category from the Star Wars universe will be chosen for artists of all skill levels to interpret. A wide range of media will be accepted including, but not limited to, graphite/ink drawings, paintings, photo-manips, digitial paintings/drawings, collages and posters. It's really whatever you're inspired to do. Be creative! If the subject is a TIE Fighter, don't just draw a TIE Fighter, try to incorporate it into a scene that's interesting. Or perhaps you would rather take the Alliance's view on the TIE. The possibilities are endless!

*NEW* - 2/6/09
    As an extra twist, the Challenge will now be considered as a contest or a game. At the end of each quarter(Fall;September-November, Winter;December-February, Spring;March-May, Summer;June-August), all pieces of artwork submitted during that particular time period will be up for nomination for the "Art Challenge Fan Favorite Award." If your artwork makes it through the nomination process and wins the final vote, you will be awarded colors of your choosing and a title for a week to sport around the entire JC. But wait! There's more! As an added bonus, the winning piece of artwork will also be created into an icon and uploaded onto the JC forums for all to see and use at their choosing. Good luck to all participants!

Past Winners:

1. Fall 2006 - academygrad88; Boba Fett and Family
    2. Winter 2007 - DarthMikus; Quinlan Vos
    3. Spring 2007 - BIEREN; Darth Vader
    4. Summer 2007 - Basement24; Humiliation of Defeat
    5. Fall 2007 - ART2-D2; Artoo on Halloween
    6. Winter 2008 - Ty_Ordell; Princess Leia
    7. Spring 2008 - ART2-D2; Battle Droid
    8. Summer 2008 - Saith_Vaaper; Tahiri Veila
    9. Fall 2008 - Ranil-Starwing; Master of Vaapad
    10. Winter 2009 - earlybird-obi-wan; Sleep
    11. Spring 2009 - Black-Dog; Nas Choka Mini Figurine
    12. Summer 2009 - COULD BE YOU!

[color=midnightblue][b]Some Guidelines to Follow:[/b][/color]

[blockquote][li]Please post your images in this thread so we can have them all collected in one area, but of course you're also allowed to post them in your own artwork threads.[/li]

[li]You can submit fanart for one topic, or do all of them. It is up to you.[/li]

[li]Comments for everyone's artwork should also be posted in this thread. Even if you're not participating yourself, your comments are more than welcome.[/li]

[li]Everyone is welcomed to post responses to this thread regardless of whether you post in the Fan Art forum or not. Please don't be nervous or discouraged. We would all love to see your work! [/li]

[li]If you have suggestions for future topics, please PM them to [link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=351318]

2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    What happens when I say 13. Do I get a PM send with my assigment then?

[face_batting]

Or must I send the number by PM only?

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    PM me your favorite SW film and a number and I will give you your assignment. :)

4. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
  5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, ROTJ and number 9!

O:)

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Huh. What're the odds of someone picking the same scene and film in the same day.

Oh well. This will make it interesting. I'll give you your assignment, but please remember to send your choices to me via PM next time. Thanks! :)

7. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Great idea for a challenge, I love the idea of interpreting a whole scene as opposed to just one reference shot or something! [face_dancing] Be really interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

8. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    I've sent my pm.

Also if your having trouble picking a number you could use random.org to give you a random number, that's what I did. You could also use it to pick your film if you want to be really random.

9. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Now this is a creative challenge! I like it! (even if I don't think I have time to participate :( )

10. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, since I didn't know how my free time would be later, I spent most of my free time finishing this since I got it.

Here it goes[face_mischief]

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/Mitth_Fisto/Tests/BibR2_11.jpg]

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice one Mith fisto

I had this one to finish

"New Assignments"

It's basically directly after Zam is killed by the dart and Anakin and Padme in the apartment afterwards.

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/padmeani9.jpg]

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Mitth: This really came together in the end! You focused in on one particular moment and really went to town. I know you mentioned the background was an accident, but it was a happy accident. The toned background gives the drawing a whole new life.

earlybird: Very nice! You approached this as you would a spot illustration for a story and that's exactly what I was looking for. You summed up the scene nicely. What medium did you use for this?

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    aquarel paint after making a sketch with pencils and thank you:)

14. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    Here's my submission from The Empire Strikes Back

"This is No Cave"

[image=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Geektechboy/thisisnocave.png]

15. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Here's a first draft of my entry. I'm not sure whether or not to leave it like this or ink it. I'll decide later. :p

"Crash Landing on Dagobah"

[image=http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs46/i/2009/178/6/b/Luke_on_Dagobah_by_Serena_Kenobi.jpg]

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I_AM_GEEK: Oh wow, I'm not sure why I didn't see this sooner. That is really impressive. You captured the scene quite nicely using very simplistic shapes. I love it! :D

Serena: Great start! I like where this is going but as it stands now, it appears a little too rough. I think it would really benefit from an ink job. My suggestion would be to ink Luke in the foreground and color him in as usual. Leave the background "un-inked" and just fill it in with swirls and splotches of color to suggest the jungle scene and the presence of the X-wing. :)

17. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Fantastic idea, Steph!!

Well, I took your advice - here's Luke inked. I'm still waiting for my tablet to arrive, so I don't know if I'll get it colored in in time. :_|

[image=http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs46/i/2009/179/1/6/Luke_on_Dagobah_inked_by_Serena_Kenobi.jpg]

18. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow! That looks really great inked!

19. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Loving all the submissions so far! Great stuff! =D=

Don't think I'll get mine done on time. I think I should've gone for a smaller, easier-to-get-done project. I'll know for next time! :p

20. underthekitchensink

underthekitchensink Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2009
    HS29 EDIT: This isn't exactly the thread for this kind of discussion and I'm gonna remove it to prevent the current challenge thread from derailing off topic. I hope you understand.

With that said, I think you do bring up an interesting topic for discussion, especially with the many professional artists who frequent this forum and already have several Lucasfilm projects under their belt. I will allow a separate thread for the discussion of legal issues and how far an artist should go. There are quite a few artists here who I'm sure will be glad to help you out.

21. underthekitchensink

Jun 29, 2009
    Thats no problem at all, sorry for the interuption :)

Can you suggest a better place to post, really would like some good advice of you guys here as im really struggling to figure out where i stand here.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I can go ahead and start a thread on the topic in general and then you're free to repost your query. :)

23. underthekitchensink

Jun 29, 2009
    Brilliant thanks!!

24. underthekitchensink

Jun 29, 2009
    Sorry but can you give me a link to the general board please?

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I just started the thread. It can be found here:

http://boards.theforce.net/fan_art/b10020/30212426/p1/?0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.