main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Challenge - Your Feedback Needed!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Each month we will post up four topics on different themes that people can choose from. You can submit drawings, paintings, posters, collage, photo-manipulation... whatever you're inspired to do.

Here are the previous Fan Art Challenges:

May 2006
    April 2006
    March 2006
    February 2006
    January 2006
    December 2005
    November 2005
    October 2005
    July 2005
    June 2005
    April 2005

This is not a contest, and everyone is welcome to post responses to this thread, regardless of whether you've ever posted anything in this forum. Please don't be nervous or discouraged, because all of us would love to see your fanart!

Here are the topics for June:

JUNE FAN ART CHALLENGE:
    (Special thanks go out AG88 and FalconFan for suggesting this month's topics!)

Characters: Princess Leia or Hethrir (special request :D )
    Scene: Han and Leia's final moments in the carbon freezing chamber (ESB) or The Battle for Kashyyyk (ROTS)
    Thing: Pick any scene from the EU and visualize it using any media you wish
    Fun:This is an addition to last months topic on Mother's Day. For this month, depict a SW father(films or EU) doing something with their children for Father's Day

[b][color=midnightblue]The Usual Few Notes:[/color][/b]

-Please post your images in this thread so we can have them all collected in one area, but of course you're also allowed to post them in your own artwork threads.

-You can submit fanart for one topic, or do all of them. It is up to you.

-Comments for everyone's artwork should also be posted in this thread. Even if you're not participating yourself, your comments are more than welcome.

-If you have suggestions for future topics, please PM them to me or post them in the Artist's Lounge Social Thread.

[hr]

That's it. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of great artwork and hopefully we'll see some amazing pieces. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post 'em here.

The deadline for this challenge is [b]June 30th[/b].

2. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    I had a real Leia image on the go, but I severely messed it up past a really good hand and face I had going. So, for the time being, here's Leia in her Slave get-up as a Minimate design I created.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/minimates/starwarsep6/princess-leia-sail-barge.jpg]

I'll be back later on with a 'real' drawing of Leia, once I get the kinks worked out.

3. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    [image=http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4196/leia7kk.jpg]

:)

4. DarthKuk

DarthKuk Jedi Knight

Jul 20, 2005
    I thought it would be fun to sharpen my watercolor skills with this one. It's been years since I painted, so be gentle...[image=http://home.earthlink.net/~jkukovich/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/leia002.jpg]

5. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    odj_310388 - Good stuff, I like that style! This is from the new statue, no? I really like the angle you've got there.

DarthKuk - Painting can never be easy (at least in my books) but you've done really well for someone who hasn't painted in years! Nice shading and good retailing, especially since it was with a brush. Good job!

Here's another Leia I did. I was super-frustrated with my original idea, Leia on Endor removing her helmet. The helmet was all wrong and it really didn't look like Leia either. Instead, here's a quick moody Carbon Freezing Chamber piece. It's very blocked out, but I think it works. Based on the one shot where she looks up at Vader. That little shot always chills me for some reason.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2006/leia-freezing-chamber.jpg]

6. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Yea its from that new statue, it looks pretty awesome imo I might get it. Great image you got there, I love that kind of blocky effect that your able to get with contrasty images.

7. jedi_master_is_back

jedi_master_is_back Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2004
  8. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I find it kind of funny how not only that every drawing in here is of Leia, but that she's wearing a different outfit in each one. :p

odj_310388
    I like her pose and how you see her spunky fighting spirit on her face (The Leia we all know and love). I also enjoyed your style of her outfit.

DarthKuk
    Nice work - Particularly on all the finer details. Like Basement24 said, It's not bad for someone who hasn't painted in a long while.

Basement24
    Cool effect. It's simple yet detailed enough and you captured the right colours too. (I love the lighting of that whole scene - excellent pick.) The minimate design looks pretty good (Minimate = Lego, right?)...and I can't help it, it is slightly funny.

My small addition.

[link=http://members.lycos.co.uk/studiosifer/swfan/p-anime-leiacloudcity-colour.jpg]Leia - (ESB - Cloud City) - anime style[/link]

- Suz ^_~

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Gads!!! =D= What great entries this month (and I wish I'd had time to participate, but alas... :( )!! You've all done such wonderful pieces!

odj--Great linework here! I love the angle you chose for this, too--very dynamic--and of course, that "warrior Princess" look on her face is perfect!

DarthKuk--I've already gushed over this painting--it's really amazing, and makes it so hard to believe that this is your first foray into watercolors in a long time... Lovely work!

Basement24--OMG!! Great piece--almost vector-ish--and is a stunning capture of that moment (it always gave me chills, too): I always believed that this moment was when Leia's Force-sensitivities really began to awaken, and she could actually sense through the Force that Vader had some strange connection to her that she didn't at that time understand. Why else would Vader have pursued the 'Falcon so feverishly after the escape from Hoth? He thought Luke was aboard, but was in fact sensing his daughter's presence instead... ?? [face_thinking] Fabulous!

And Your_Worship--Holy Moly!! How many styles are you the master of, my dear?! I love this piece--it's just beautiful, and the colors and shading are gorgeous! The face carries enough of Carrie's specific facial contours to be very recognizably her (aside of the costume/hairstyle), and the work on the gown is amazing! Wonderful work!! And let's get this up in your thread, too, hm?

Fantastic entries, everyone!! =D=

FF

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'd like to thank everyone who came out this month and participated in the challenge. I really apprecitate your efforts and you produced some great art! :D

Now onto some business:

Unfortunately this month has once again seen a decline in the number of folks participating in the challenge. Moreso than past months. I know nobody wants to see this happen, but I think it's time to give the Fan Art Challenge a break until interest rises once again.

Here are some alternatives I've been thinking about concerning what to do in place of the Challenge:

1) The recent thread started up by Qui-Ran-Demera in which things in the SW universe that are already established in art form are put up for a reevaluation by the members to create something totally different and more along the lines of what we wanted to see.

2) Keep something along the lines of the Challenge, but add a new twist. Limit it to one particular subject and then at the end of the month, vote on the most creative and overall best submission in your mind.

3) Keep the current Challenge thread but make some changes to draw back some interest.

11. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    I think you could do both points 1) and 2), separated.

Get some official title for Qui-Ran-Demera's topic and make a contest out of it, and we have our first 'new challenge'.

And for 2), I think that's quite something to make folks participate more... you always enjoy more to make art if you're able to 'win' (in this case: reputation? :p ) something...

Well, that's just me 2 cents... [face_whistling]

12. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I'd very much like to see the Challenge continue, in some form or other--I think it often offers inspiration and encourages participation. However, it may be due to the busy-ness of the summer months that we're not seeing as many folks joining in (I myself was nostril-deep in request work...). Just a thought. But the first two options you suggest, Mme. Moderator, also appear to be decent alternatives to the current (overlooked?) thread... I think, though, that it might be good to include at least two subjects--some sort of choice might help to snag the imaginations of some of our members and encourage them to join in... So--like Corran--there's my "two cents!" And if I can help any further with this, Han, please let me know.

FF

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I appreciate your feedback with this! Please keep it coming! :D

I think I'm definitely going to do something with Qui-Ran-Demera's thread. Perhaps not hijack the one he currently has, but create another thread for everyone to participate in. For this one, it's mostly gonna be aimed at your feedback. I want to make this center around the stuff you would like to redo and give a try. I'll be looking for ideas for this one and the more subjects I have, the better. If you need any ideas, take a look in the other thread for some of the things Demera worked on.

As for rehauling the current Challenge thread, I think FF brings up an interesting point for two subjects. That way, there is still a choice but it's not as open. I certainly want to have a vote at the end of each month with a possible prize. Perhaps what we're doing in the current Wallpaper Challenge thread? The person who wins the past month's challenge gets to pick the new challenge? And moving it even further, perhaps have a showdown at the end of the year of all the winners and the winner of that poll could have colors for a short period of time?

14. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I would like to continue the challenge. I didn't do anything last month not because of lack of interest, but it was a really busy month for me. I think most students and parents of students found their time taken up with school functions. Then when school ended most people take their vacations. I think July and August will see more people participating.

AG88

15. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    It's too bad the Monthly challenge isn't working. It's a great idea, but I think busy schedules are the downfall of it. I've been crazed with requests and such recently in non-SW stuff, so that's why I haven't been posting as much in my own thread. I wanted to enter each Monthly challenge though, because it was something I could "force" myself to do for fun.

Overall, I like the idea of #1 and #2 that HanSolo brought up. Here's some other random thoughts...

I think the regular challenge, and the Qui-Ran-Demera challenge could be combined somehow. There could be only one character suggestion for a month, but you could choose any outfit they wear, any scene they were in, or recreate it. I've never seen anyone use the "How I'd draw it" format in the monthly challenge, so maybe it can be opened up to that way. We could also have one thread for anything you want to redefine in your own eyes, but it would be a free-posting topic that has no specific theme or time-frame.

I think one choice for a monthly challenge would be best as well. On www.drawingboard.org, under their superhero section, there's a challenge a month, but it's vague. Last month was Superman, and it was completely open to any style, interpretation, or scene. I think this is most like the Character suggestion for our Monthly Challenges, but I would remove character choices, and scene choices. Instead of "Yoda vs Sidious", it would just be "Yoda" and whomever could choose the Sidious battle, or whatever other scene they enjoyed (or just pin-up art).

Another idea of the Monthly one, is to maybe provide some quick reference pics. I'm sure most people here know the movie characters and such, but on other drawing boards I'm a member of, even when the topic is even something universally known (like the Superman thread), there are a few references from Google Images or Wikipedia to get people going. Sometimes all it takes is a little inspiration to get going.

Rewards or prizes would be a nifty idea, but I think it would have to be consistent, and with some kind of official voting system.

I think that's all I've got for now! Let's get this up and running! I don't think there's anythign wrong with the way it is, it just needs some new energy and blood. Here hoping it works!

16. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    I like the idea of prizes also, but the problem with that is who is going to fork up the money to buy and ship the prizes? I am a Moderator at another site where I sponsored a fanfic contest. I paid for a copy of Betrayal, a Mark Hamill movie and a SW Calendar for prizes. But it was a yearly contest. For a monthly contest it would become too costly.

I guess what we could do is have volunteers sponsor the monthly contest. They think up the monthly theme and provide the monthly prize. Of course, I don't know if most people feel confortable with giving out their mailing address to complete strangers if they happen to win the contest.

And then you also have the problem that the Fanfic people ran into last year with people using socks to vote for themselves. Although, that probably wouldn't be a problem here since the art community pretty much knows each other.

AG88

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Basement: Interesting ideas. I particularly like what you brought up concerning the drawingboard.org challenges. I've lurked over there for a time and I do like how they handle their version of the challenge. Giving it a try with just one(or two) subjects and letting it go at that and allowing the artist free reign is a path I'm definitely considering.

AC88: I wasn't necessarily thinking of using real prizes that will be shipped out to the winner, I was thinking more along the lines of what we're currently doing in the Wallpaper Challenge thread. The winner of one month chooses the subject for the next month etc. But I want to take it a step further and at the end of the year, each monthly winner goes into a final poll and the overall winner from that goes on to sport colors and a title for a week or something. Of course, that's just me throwing around some ideas and if you have anything else that we could use to award the winners, please feel free to throw them out there. :)

18. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Well, that would have saved me a great deal of money if I had thought of that. :p I like the idea of getting VIP colors for a week or two... or how about until the next months winner gets named. So you get VIP colors for a month and you get to pick the next topic(s). I really like that idea.

That inspires me to win!! Next month's topic is.... Oh you can probably guess. ;)

AG88

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm... [face_thinking]

Now there's an idea. I was thinking more along the lines of offering the colors at the end of the year, but every month could work too. Of course, I would have to pass this by the Mod Squad first, but I honestly like that idea. Like you said, it'll heighten interest and offer some motivation to actually get your artwork done. If everyone else agrees to this idea, I'll go ahead and bring this up to the MS.

20. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I think the VIP-colors as a prize would do great! IMO, this'll sure get you some more participants. ;)

21. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    I'd prefer to keep the monthy challenge, I always enjoy doing it and seeing what ideas other people come up with.

22. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I got another idea: if we got with the two-topic challenge, I think we should have the topic in the title... like on CGTalk, where you got DailySketches with short forms of the topics in the title... this way, you can easier get an artist's attention on the challenge... e.g., take "Stormtrooper" in the title, and maybe some artists who always wanted to draw a stormie, but haven't seen the challenge before, will participate...

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That's not a bad idea, Corran_Fett. I was thinking about having just one thread this time around to compile all the Challenges in and just change the thread title when necessary. So, that works out perfectly. ;)

Any other suggestions before I bring this up to the MS?

24. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Personally, I don't participate all that often b/c my subject matter currently is rather limited, and I'm not terribly inclined to go out of my way to create something I'm not interested in.

I don't like the idea of a single thread. As seen in the wallpaper thread, it makes it too hard to tell where old sections end and new sections begin. And I find the previous challenge's posts and comments and votes (in the case of a competition) mixed with the current month's thread to be pointless and irritating. If I want to see the previous month's stuff, I click on those links in the top post.

However, I DO like the idea of a small prize like board colors. It could certainly serve as an incentive for some people. It won't for me b/c I'm no pro, but some of these people around here certainly deserve some recognition for their outstanding art.

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't like the idea of a single thread. As seen in the wallpaper thread, it makes it too hard to tell where old sections end and new sections begin. And I find the previous challenge's posts and comments and votes (in the case of a competition) mixed with the current month's thread to be pointless and irritating. If I want to see the previous month's stuff, I click on those links in the top post.

To fix that problem, I plan to keep the current Challenge on the first page and below that, have an index of past challenges like it used to be run back in the early days of the Fan Art forum(summer of '01 and '02). I just feel it'll be easier this way to keep the Challenge thread indexed in the welcome thread and have everything grouped together in one place. The problem with having a seperate thread each month is as time goes on, the older threads get deleted by the automatic thread pruning feature the JC has. This is already a problem for the earlier challenges and I had to remove them from the list in the first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.