The Official Fan Club and Insider

Discussion in 'Orlando, FL' started by Sabacc, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    This is a thread for happenings and comments on the Official Fan Club and it's publication, The Star Wars Insider.

As a 2004 member of the Star Wars fan club you get an original cel from the old EWOKS cartoon. Pretty cool! Now there's a wide variety of cels, some are fantastic, some are utter crap, but heck, it's a cool lottery. I'll let you know which I get- till then here's a host of others' cels.
    http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=46990

Which one did you receive?
  2. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Dale and I are currently still waiting for each of ours. Are we the only two posters here that are even part of the Official Fan Club? Boggles the mind.

Also boggles the mind, as Brandon's found, that membership is currently closed, with no date given for it to be re-opened. With the world's biggest Star Wars party, Celebration3, happening in just under a year, and a new movie weeks afterward, it would behoove the Fan Club to straighten this out post-haste.
  3. MarasBlade Force Ghost

star 1
    I got my fan club kit and the cel. I have to admit while it is cool to get a cel, mine was disappointing. I thought they might at least have a character in it but mine doesn't. I like the fan club card though.
  4. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    It's more or less a lottery. Many will enter, few will win. Seems most people's cels have been less than exciting (though most cels from animation are less than exciting [24 fps at its best]), but I think it's a nice idea. The card's a neat idea, but I'll admit, those are the only two items in the kit that interested me even a little.
  5. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    BIG news for the Fan Club. It's all around good news for the few of us that swing in Hyperspace and plan to go to things like Celebration, but for some this is going to be an annoying price increase. At least we finally know why Paizo stopped taking subscriptions. Boy, between this and StarWarsShop.com Lucas is building himself an Empire of Star Wars. I know, as if... But I'll take it, until I see him suing the 501st for infringement, this should be a good thing. A bit odd in the timing though, considering they got their poodoo together only now, at the end.

From TF.n:
    Lucasfilm Relaunches Official Fan Club
    Wed, Apr 28, 04 03:24:06 PM EDT

The Official Site posted details about the latest incarnation of the Official Star Wars Fan Club:

As Star Wars blasts forward into Episode III and beyond, the Fan Club has come home to Lucasfilm for the first time since 1987, and is offering more to fans than ever before.

To accomplish this, Lucasfilm has joined Hyperspace, Star Wars Insider and the Fan Club together for the first time. Membership in Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club brings you the greatest benefits package ever. When you sign up with the Fan Club, you get:

-one year of access to starwars.com Hyperspace

-six-issue one year subscription to Star Wars Insider magazine

- membership kit

- discounts and early purchases at StarWarsShop.com

- access to member-only fan events

- interaction with your local and global fan community

All of this and much more are yours for a single annual membership price of just $39.95 in the U.S. and $49.95 in Canada.
  6. MarasBlade Force Ghost

star 1
    I think the new fan club looks pretty good. I was up for renewal next month for both hyperspace and the fan club anyway so I did it today. Can't wait to see how it all works.
  7. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    For those of us that were going to get both anyway, we're in a pretty good boat. Paul Ens, Director of Lucas Online, said in today's Hyperspace chat that we won't lose any issues or Hyperspace months. Whatever issues left in your Insider subscription or months left in Hyperspace, a year will be added on to the back end of those totals.
  8. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Anybody ever receive their 2004 Fan Club Kit? I'm still waiting, and fear the change of publishers might just mean I'm out of luck if they forgot about me.
  9. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    Im still waiting for mine as well. It isnt looking good. Might be time to make a phone call, or send an email to someone.
  10. MarasBlade Force Ghost

star 1
    I did get my 2004 fan club kit-a few weeks ago. I renewed after I got that kit so I wonder if I will get a new one or if the one I got is it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
  11. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    I was trying to renew when I found out that I couldn't quite yet and that I would have to get a new membership in this club. Kinda ticked me off.
  12. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, got a bit of info- Vic Wertz on TOS message boards says to wait another 2 weeks before you contact them. They were told by the USPS that it would take up to 6 weeks for all of the kits to be delivered, and it's been 4 so far.

Paizo is the company that produced these things so I'm going to e-mail them the last week of the month if I'm still Kit Missed-O.

I wouldn't expect another kit if you re-upped this year. Usually there's only one kit per year, if that, but who knows given the flux of the Fan Club. -Campbell
  13. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I just signed up and recieved my coupon for Hyperspace. I can't wait to dig into all of the special features!
  14. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    For those of you who haven't received your 2004 kits, it's time to write to customer.service@paizo.com.
    According to Vic Wertz, all the kits should have arrived by now. For better or for worse, they are sending all their membership kit materials to Lucasfilm soon, but Vic's not sure how they'll distribute them to new members (like Melanie).
  15. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Got the kit! My cel is a mouth with two canine teeth protruding. Not too exciting, but at least I can tell what it is. It'll be a long while before I try to freeze frame every episode to identify it.
  16. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just signed up like two weeks ago. How long should I wait before getting worried?
  17. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    To my knowledge, no official answer has been given. The link below is where I got the info from Paizo- hopefully the folks at Lucasfilm will answer you if you asked that question here:

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jsp?forum=76&thread=100228&start=350&msRange=25
  18. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    Got my offical kit today. I love it. Got 3/4 of an Ewok for my cel. Woo Hoo!

Impressive, most impressive.

Dale
  19. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds like you got the best cel of anyone I've met.

On Paizo to Lucasfilm:
    It's been a rough transition so far and many people are complaining of poor customer service with Lucasfilm right now. I personally followed their link to RENEW and got a confirmation that I'd just signed up for a new subscription. Having already gone through there BS of getting 2 copies of the Insider I decided to write them. I got a semi-satisfactory reply, but at the moment it seems the operation could be run as well by the Orlando System. I'm always bothered when a company makes a big deal about a new offering and doesn't prepare for the public response. -Campbell
  20. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    I was going to bring mine to the meeting to show you Campbell but I forgot, oh well Ill stop by one day or bring it to the next meeting.
  21. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps outside of a meeting. I think it might remind Susan of hers and and that wouldn't be a good thing. :)
  22. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Minor upheaval. The Insider, while still belonging to Lucasfilm, has recently switched publishers. I'm very curious as to what changes we'll see in the next issue, which will be done entirely by the new regime. There are several sections, like Behind The Scenes, the Pablo Hidalgo and Sansweet columns, and the Action Figure Archive that I really don't want to see disappear. -Campbell
  23. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Major policy change.
    The Hyperspace/Insider pkg. now retroactively includes both features (the access and the magazine) for previous subscribers. Which is to say that 2 days ago, I had an Insider subscription that would run out in 20 months and a Hyperspace subscription for 11 months- now they both will go to the 20 month point, without an extra fee. Kudos to the Fan Club, we needed them to do something nice for us after the recent sloppy conversion.
  24. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Being very happy with the way Insider was looking recently, I was skeptical of how the new management might change it. After a quick thumb through Issue #77, so far the magazine looks great. One feature I'm disappointed to see missing is the Action Figure Archive additions, but otherwise it looks like a winner.

My copy arrived today. -Campbell
  25. bobafett112 Jedi Padawan

I don't know about you guys but I am still wait inf for my fan club kit, and I started my membership back in june. and that was when paizo still publised insider. What do you guys think I should do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.