main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    O.k. you guys. I checked out the novelization to see if there was something in there, here's what I found. This is right after Luke figures out that it is Leia who is his sister.

Ben continued his narrative. "When your father left, he didn't know your mother was pregnant. Your mother and I knew he would find out eventually, but we wanted to keep you both as safe as possible, for as long as possible. So I took you to live with my brother Owen, on Tatooine...and your mother took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator Organa, on Alderaan."

We all know how the Owen thing changed, so I guess it's hard to say what is credible anymore. But I wonder what Ben meant when he said Anakin "left?" To the dark side? Or to Battle?

Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is.

2. tabbafett

Mar 16, 2001
    I'm with Lukecash that Obi-wan had no idea of Leia until ESB. Thats when Yoda gave him the 411.

3. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Yeah, Lucas might have wrote theat on an Annotated screenplay...but plans change, and so did the story. Lucas originally had Obi-wan be the one to discover a 15 year old Anakin. He thought better of it and change the story.

No, Lucas better not let Padme live....jut for the fact that Padme is a major character...she should not die off screen.

Her story line needs to be resolved with a finality...not questions.

Leia didnt "remember" her mother... Her lines were that she had "Feelings" about her mothere...flickering of images. They could be a memory of a Hologram it could be a Jedi impresssion.

This is supposed to be a dark time for Anakin...can't imagine anything darker than loosing Padme.

4. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    When he says 'when your father left' I sure it means Anakin went to Tatooine once more (not knowing he was to have children) and settled there probably after his being expelled for his forbidden marriage to Senator Amidala and against Owen's advice he followed Obi-Wan after Kenobi came to Tatooine looking for him then was probably instantly promoted to Jedi Knight and followed Obi-Wan on some damn idealistic crusade and the rest is history.

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    The only problem with the novelization is that that can change. The RotJ novelization wasn't written by George and while most of it was inspired by his story and his ideas, as previously said, ideas can change. So just because the novelization says one thing, unfortunately doesn't mean it's true, though it still could be.

Sorry if that made no sense. :)

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Actually, you're right. Things and ideas can change. The ROTJ story was by George Lucas, the screenplay was by Lawerence Kasden, and the novelsation was written by James Khan.

It stated that on death's door Anakin wished he'd met Yoda and wanted to thank him for the training that he'd given Luke. Of course we know that Anakin has known Yoda since he was a 9 year old. Also there is the Owen factor. Because of what the novel states, we were under the impression that Owen and Obi-Wan were brothers. Also, we find out that they didn't even know each other. It also states that Anakin and Obi-Wan has a duel and Anakin fell into a molten pit. Once again, this might not turn out to be the case.

7. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    It made sense.

EU does not = canon. ;) :p

Seriously, though, Adi is correct. I love reading the novels and getting a different perspective of the film. However, the novelizations cannot be used to answer questions with additional information that was not in the film.

And I'll stop with that before I get myself into a nasty debate.

8. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Good idea, Queenie. This is an EU/Canon debate waiting to explode. ;)

9. tabbafett

Mar 16, 2001
    I don't know if you guys are talking about me or not for posting that clip from the novelization, but on that same post I also said who knows what is still credible from it because of the whole Owen and Obi-wan thing. I'm just trying to throw out some more ideas to this thing.

Please disreguard and hit me with a bat if you weren't talking about that. ;)

10. tabbafett

Mar 16, 2001
    I don't know if you guys are talking about me or not for posting that clip from the novelization, but on that same post I also said who knows what is still credible from it because of the whole Owen and Obi-wan thing. I'm just trying to throw out some more ideas to this thing.

Please disreguard and hit me with a bat if you weren't talking about that. ;)

11. tabbafett

Mar 16, 2001
    ok so now your probably really going to all hit me with a bat.

12. tabbafett

Mar 16, 2001
  13. Captain-Dac

Captain-Dac Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2002
    I say let Padme die in the phase between Ep 3 and ANH. That way she has time to mother Leia briefly and marry Bail Organa

14. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Good thought scruffy. Perhaps he isn't aware of the genders, hence his partial surprise of "sister"

15. Bouv

Bouv Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2002
    A clue might lie in what Anakin told Padme after the TR massacre: He would become the most powerful Jedi, able to even stop someone from dying (he also makes that pledge at his mother's grave that he would not fail again). What if Padme lies near death and he tries to save her and when he fails it pushes him over the edge? After all, he was pushed to the brink of madness when he was unable to stop his mother's death.

Just a thought.

16. tabbafett

Mar 16, 2001
    I think the whole "I will even learn to stop people from dying!" quote is a forshadowing of what Anakin will accomplish with himself. Whether it be a fall into a lava pit or just mortally wounded during the confrontation with Obi-wan, Anakin will stop himself from dying, the only catch is that it will be the dark side of the force for which he will have to use to accomplish such a deed. Thus resulting in his final plunge towards the dark side. In my opinion the light side of the force would not tamper with death, possibly healing techniques, but not with death.

17. Bane_Maler

Bane_Maler Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    *sigh*
    Now you're reaching mon ami.

18. Bane_Maler

Jul 29, 2002
    Personally I don't think that she is destined to perish in III but I think the thought of her possibly doing so would add to the suspense. I believe a stronger story is out there that doesn't consist of people dying but of tension tearing people apart.
    Besides there is still the issue of the Redux cameo.

19. Bane_Maler

Jul 29, 2002
    Sorry to spam the post so much but also it is important to realize that Vader enlightened Luke that he was his father and likewise Luke enlightened Vader that he had a daughter. No matter what the book says, how did Vader know that he had a son if he left before Padme informed him that she was preagnant? It just doesn't make since that Anakin would have no knowledge of children. And if so, there would be a hole in the ESB plot. Where did Vader find out that Luke was his son? I believe he knew of Luke but didn't know where he was fufilling the purpose of splitting the twins up. HENCE THE POINT OF SPLITTING UP LUKE AND LEIA. If he had ever found Luke he still wouldn't know about or consider he had twins.

20. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Welcome to the boards, Bane_Maler. :) Just FYI, you can use the EDIT feature if you want to add to your previous post. :)

And, I agree with you. I firmly believe that Vader knew that he had a son. I think too many things would not make since otherwise.

Going in circles here, I know, but what else would the "Your father wanted you to have it, when you were old enough" line (referring to Anakin's lightsaber) mean?

21. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    the "Your father wanted you to have it, when you were old enough" line just doesn't seems to make any sense anymore because once the PT says that jedis could no marry and have a family there coudn't have a chance to Anakin say so to Ob1.
    Probably Obi1 just said that to gain Luke atraction to become a Jedi.
    Back to padmé, how i posted before i think once she realizes that Anakin hed become DV she will be first to fight against him , no t hide away ? so i believe the split of the twins is something she arranges before confront her " hubbie " .

22. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    the "Your father wanted you to have it, when you were old enough" line just doesn't seems to make any sense anymore because once the PT says that jedis could no marry and have a family there coudn't have a chance to Anakin say so to Ob1.

Good point! My guess is that it's another of those 'point of view' things (i.e. Obi-Wan is lying through his teeth! ;)) More likely is that after Obi-Wan beats Anakin in The Duel, he takes his lightsaber as a memory of the apprentice he thinks he killed. His guilt over this, combined with the fact he killed Luke's dad, makes him give Luke the lightsaber.

As for Vader knowing he had a son--if he knew it was a son, Padme would know, and if she knew it was a boy, she'd know she had twins. So if she tells Anakin that she has a boy, why tell him he's only going to have 1 child instead of 2, esp. if he's not bad yet; if he's bad, better not to tell him anything!

It's possible, but I still think it makes more sense if he doesn't know he's a father at all; it makes things simpler! :)

23. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Lets talk about the fate of........... Watto.

24. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Now that's thought provoking, Rich. Or should I say impressive? ;)

Back to the topic...

I don't think this is just Obi-Wan lying. Obi-Wan obviously knows about Luke, and probably Leia as well, in Ep. 3 as he takes Luke to Tatooine. Obi-Wan knows about Anakin's children, chances are he knows about Padmé and Anakin's marriage as well, then.

Anakin and Obi-wan are like son and father; sometime, Obi-Wan is told what happened between Anakin and Padmé. Therefore, I don't think it is so unreasonable that Anakin would give his lightsaber to Obi-Wan and tell him to give it to his child, assuming they both know Padmé is pregnant.

That's how I reconcile the problem of Anakin only knowing about one child. They three of them (Anakin, Padmé and Obi-Wan) know Padmé is pregnant, but it's early on in her pregnancy so they do not know it's twins. Anakin leaves for some reason, and gives his lightsaber to Obi-Wan (why? go figure...). Anakin falls to the Dark Side then, and the twins are born and hidden before he can find out about Leia. Just some thoughts.

There are so many possiblities and things to consider about this though, none of us are probably anywhere near right. :)

25. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Again, I agree with Adi. I do not believe Obi-Wan is lying. I still take him to be very serious with this line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.