main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKat4

JediKat4 Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2002
    This is my theory, and it will probably be shot down faster than anything else, but here goes *sighs*

And btw, yes it is reaching...

Maybe, Palpatine had Padmé killed and then when Anakin found out about it, Palpatine said that it was a jedi who did it. He became outraged, and that's how it ended up him fighting the jedi order. I know, it's a far stretch, but i still had to throw it out there. But it also has a lot of problems, mainly the twins - when would they have been born then?

2. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I thought the line from Obi-wan about the lightsaber was another part of his "lie". It was not his father who wanted Luke to have it but he himself wanted Luke to have it.

3. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I don't think that Padmé will be murdered at all. Leia has memories of her mother. "She was very beautiful, but very sad." Perhaps she dies of a broken heart. Depression is a hard thing to live through. Having a loving husband who turns to the dark side of a power she can't understand must be a very trying experience.

4. NIKKOTYRIS

NIKKOTYRIS Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    I like the idea of Anakin killing her to prove loyalty to Palpatine. Maybe she is killed accidently in the duel between Anakin and Obi trying to stop it. Maybe she lives, but that I doubt,

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I've always liked the idea of Padmé being killed by Anakin as well, NIKKOTYRIS. It would be a great way of showing just how evil Anakin has become. But after seeing AotC and how devoted he was to her in that, I can't see him killing her himself. I think that even when he does turn to the Dark Side, he'll still be in love with Padmé.

As for Padmé being sad, I always interpreted it as being sad for losing her son, not because of what Anakin did. I always imagined her as being angry at Anakin for doing what he did. But either way, I do not want Padmé to die of a broken heart. I find that to be out-of-character for such a strong, determined person.

6. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Impressive posting Adi. I agree.

It will be intersting to see how Lucas deals with the descrepancy of Leia remembering her mommy. I mean Padme must die somehow in EpIII. I think howver Lucas handles it is what the big 'surprise' will be.

I'm excited. EpIII could be the best SW movie ever. If done correctly.

7. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    Someone said this in another thread; it is so compelling, I wanted to repost it here:

Cwrnpuppet:
    The impact of that scene is that with this revelation, Luke and Leia are trying to piece together their history.

Were Leia not to be speaking of Padme, it would cheapen the scene beyond belief. All of this could be fixed and Padme could die, plot-hole-free in Episode III, with the simple inclusion of a line such as this: "All Jedi are taken directly after birth due to the fact that they retain memories from infancy..."

Personally, I think this would make for a perfect solution.

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    she can't die before giving birth

9. Scruffy-looking

May 26, 2002
    Jedi_Liz, you are correct! :)

10. rich_meister

Mar 22, 2002
    Thatd be too easy scruffy-looking.

11. Scruffy-looking

May 26, 2002
    I don't know about it being too easy; I could easily see such a line being introduced in the context of a heated argument between Obi-Wan/Yoda and Padme when the time comes for her to give up the twins. It would, for example, be no less a copout than when Qui-Gon explains Anakin's powers: "He can see things before they happen; it's a Jedi trait". And from what we have seen and know of Anakin's present and future behavior, attachment to others can be a dangerous thing for a Jedi; they train Jedi from birth precisely to avoid the situation that Anakin faced in AOTC.

Of course, this doesn't explain why they decided to train him anyway, but that's a discussion for another day. :)

12. rich_meister

Mar 22, 2002
    I don't know about it being too easy; I could easily see

Hence my point.

13. Scruffy-looking

May 26, 2002
    'Hence my point'? What is your point, anyway? When you say that it 'would be too easy', what is your justification--that this explanation is too complicated to be seen on screen? That it conflicts with what we know about Jedi to date? You need to say more than just, 'That would be too easy.'

14. rich_meister

Mar 22, 2002
    'Hence my point'? What is your point, anyway? When you say that it 'would be too easy', what is your justification--that this explanation is too complicated to be seen on screen? That it conflicts with what we know about Jedi to date? You need to say more than just, 'That would be too easy.'

My point is that its far to easy of a solution to the problem. Lucas doesn't really take the 'one-line solution' approach.

15. patsidious

patsidious Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    Here?s my theory on Padme?s fate:

Because of Anakin?s reaction to the death of his mother, and how close that took him to the dark side with the ensuing slaughter, I believe that Padme must die in Episode III for his turn to the dark side to be complete.

I don?t see how Anakin could kill her on purpose though. I think it would really be tragic to have her die as a result of Anakin?s actions, like an accident. In AOTC Anakin arrogantly charged Dooku by himself leaving Obiwan vulnerable to Dooku?s attack after he was stunned. What if another rush to judgement leaves Padme unprotected resulting in her death. Anakin would be so consumed with anger and rage that maybe he holds the jedi (obiwan especially) reponsible for not allowing him to become as powerful as he should have been to prevent her death. This could lead to the final showdown with Obiwan.

After seeing Palpatine stroke Anakin?s ego in AOTC, I think that he will be the one to swoop in and console Anakin after his loss of Padme. Manipulating Anakin he will offer him ?new? powers in the force that the Jedi are too weak and misguided to understand. This will complete his transition to the darkside. Assuming he doesn?t know about the twins, what else would he have to live for. Nothing, except the extermination of the ones who took everything away from him that ever mattered, the Jedi.

16. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    It's a thought-provoking argument, patsidious, but I wonder one thing if Anakin turns to the Dark Side because Padmé dies.

Obviously, Padmé has to be alive to give birth to the twins. And if Anakin is still on the lightside until her death, how can he not know about them? He cannot know about Leia, or RotJ makes little sense. I feel that he turns before Padmé dies and his being on the Dark Side somehow causes her death.

17. rich_meister

Mar 22, 2002
    Impressive argument Adi. Lucas will have many hurdles to go without disappointing us.

I cant wait!

18. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I waver on this, but I think she dies.

1) It's just awkward not having any "resolution" of Padme's storyline other than a quick line in ROTJ.

2) Leia doesn't remember more than images and feelings, so obviously these are very early memories. The force, perhaps?

3) Heck, there's not exactly any reasoning that the mother Leia remembers is Padme. It could be Mrs. Organa. (Though that does feel kinda cop out-ish.)

Personally, I think Palpatine will off her and make it look like the Jedi/Obi-Wan did it. He needs Anakin to go to the dark side-And if Anakin's reaction towards his mother's death is any indication, then Palpatine knows what chord to press.

On a side note:

Why are so many people gunning for Anakin killing Padme? I doubt that will happen. Anakin has treated Padme with nothing but love and respect.

Even twenty years later, with a couple decades of being a Sith Lord behind him, Vader still cannot kill a son whom he barely knows.

Yet people think he will kill the woman whom he loves more than anything else.

Sometimes, people's logic, or lack there of, makes my head hurt...

19. Scruffy-looking

May 26, 2002
    Why are so many people gunning for Anakin killing Padme? I doubt that will happen. Anakin has treated Padme with nothing but love and respect.

Even twenty years later, with a couple decades of being a Sith Lord behind him, Vader still cannot kill a son whom he barely knows.

Yet people think he will kill the woman whom he loves more than anything else.

Sometimes, people's logic, or lack there of, makes my head hurt...

I admit it's unlikely to happen, but it would make for an incredible plot twist! ;)

Anakin would never harm Padme... but Vader might. Who knows what kind of mental damage happens to him to go along with the physical damage he suffers to be put in the suit? "Twisted and evil..."

And if he were responsible, directly or indirectly, for Padme's death, having 20+ years to brood over it undoubtedly will influence his feelings for his newly discovered son... Or does it? As soon as Vader realizes he has a daughter as well, he doesn't tell Luke, ok let's gang up on the Emperor to save her as well--he says, "If you will not turn to the darkside, then perhaps she will..." The implication is that Luke is now expendable! :eek:

20. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Anakin would never harm Padme... but Vader might[/b]

But Vader and Anakin are on in the same.

Who knows what kind of mental damage happens to him to go along with the physical damage he suffers to be put in the suit? "Twisted and evil..."

I think something does push him over to the dark side; I'm thinking Padme has a large part to do with it. Perhaps her death (real or percieved) is what turns Anakin to the dark side? After all, we've seen what happens when Anakin is seperated from his mother...imagine how much more it would hurt to think his wife is dead.

And if he were responsible, directly or indirectly, for Padme's death, having 20+ years to brood over it undoubtedly will influence his feelings for his newly discovered son... Or does it? As soon as Vader realizes he has a daughter as well, he doesn't tell Luke, ok let's gang up on the Emperor to save her as well--he says, "If you will not turn to the darkside, then perhaps she will..." The implication is that Luke is now expendable!

I thought Vader was just baiting Luke in that scene; He wanted Luke to come out of hiding, and by saying if Luke wouldn't fight, he would get Leia as well, Luke...well...Luke went dark side on pappa vader's bum.

I think Vader had conflicts a'brewin' from the moment he found out about Luke, and even more so after Luke refuses to join him. He couldn't kill him and didn't want to kill him-I don't think he could just suddenly kill the love of his life 20 years prior.

21. DarthBlade78

DarthBlade78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2002
    Padme's death will not be seen in Episode 3...she'll flee to Alderaan with baby Leia and Bail Organa will hide her from the Empire. She will die of unknown causes when Leia is a toddler (her fate will be depicted in the books written about what takes place between E3 and ANH).

22. Tyranosour

Tyranosour Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    My guess is Padme will do something that's morally correct for the greater good, but will inevitably lose her life because of it while being protected by the Jedi. Don't forget, we see in AOTC that she "will not give into this.....we'd be living a
    lie." I think these "poor" lines will have significant meaning in the last episode. They are very strong words, and I think this character development of Padme will be her undoing. Ani, as we saw in AOTC, wanted the troopers to turn the
    ship around when Padme fell out, ..."I can't leave her...." when Obi1 says, "What would she do..."

I think Padme's death while doing "what's right" while in the custody of jedi will unleash Ani's ruthlessness, and hence be his final undoing to the dark side. Don't forget, Obi says Vader was "seduced" by the dark side of the force.

23. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    We're never going to get anywhere with this debate as it's all going to be speculation until we see Ep. 3. But I'd be interested in doing a vote on who believes Padmé will die and who believes she will survive Ep. 3. This won't prove anything, of course, but I am curious to see what the overall consensus is.

I personally believe she will die in Ep 3.

24. Scruffy-looking

May 26, 2002
    Here's a vote for a tragic end. :(

Well, we know she's dead by the time of RotJ, and by implication the time of the OT. The debate is whether she dies onscreen in Ep III, or not. Now, there's no evidence which irrefutably points one way or the other, so the question is should she die onscreen or not? The reason I think so is not, of course, because I want her to die, but because I think it best completes the overall story that GL is telling in all six movies. What is gained by having her die off screen? Why would he want to leave the fate of one of the most important characters of the PT (2nd if AOTC's order of credits is taken into account) up in the air? Would people rather see an Ep 3 where Padme disappears into the void, and then must buy some EU novel 1 year later to find out what really happens to her? ;)

Anyway, sorry for ranting. She dies! ;)

25. plokoon480

plokoon480 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I think Padme will go to Aldeeran and die when it is blown up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.